Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

YOUNG TIGER EYES TRIGGER

RICHMOND rookie Seth Campbell will trigger a contract extension after the Tigers' early-season bye.

The 19-year-old was limited to just five VFL games in his first season at Punt Road due to injury and only secured an extension in September.

But after a strong pre-season, new Richmond coach Adem Yze rewarded him with a debut and has played the Tasmanian across the first six games of the 2024 season.

Campbell kicked two games against Gold Coast in Opening Round and has shown he can handle the intensity at AFL level since then, rewarding the club’s faith in him last year.

Richmond is expected to rework an extension in the coming weeks for Campbell and reward the small forward with a two-year deal.

Tigers GMs Blair Hartley and Tim Livingstone have a number of list management decisions to make this year on a wide range of premiership players.

Dustin Martin, Dion Prestia, Dylan Grimes, Toby Nankervis, Kamdyn McIntosh and Jack Graham are all out of contract.

Unlike the names above, Liam Baker is not a free agent but is out of contract and is weighing up his future.

While those decisions will take time, Campbell's early-season rise has taken care of one piece of list management for Richmond.

That Smillie sounds pretty good to average 37 marks per game. No wonder he's being talked up as number 1.

Ashcroft rated #3, Lombard @ 8, Welsh @ 12 and the Camporeale's @ 14 and 19 is good for us. Need the Crows to win a few more games so there's enough doubt that Welsh may be picked by someone else before their first selection.

Tobie was the intercept king on the day for the Academy team. He used his energy and competitive intensity to continually disrupt Coburg's ball movement and make things difficult for his opponent.

#29 Josh Smillie (Eastern Ranges)
Midfielder/Defender | 194cm | 17/05/2006

Smillie’s movement and skill for a 194cm player are through the roof, and he showed out in his midfield-defence rotation on Saturday. The Academy’s captain used his big frame to crash in at the contest, but was also polished with ball in hand and composed in traffic. Smillie also got on his bike with some handy running forays and combined well with teammates. His only poor moment was an unnecessary 50-metre penalty he conceded in the third quarter, for a free kick he didn’t give away.

Welcome to Tigerland kid.

noobermensch to me Richmond really needs to add hybrid midfielders who can not only win the ball on the inside, but can then hurt the opposition on the outside with a blend of speed away from the contest as well as ball use. Now I understand that it's early, but who stands out at the moment as that type of midfielder?

Given we're likely to have a top 10 pick, possibly top 5, who out of Smillie O'Sullivan Smith Moraes Draper Lalor Hotton Gross best suits that type of midfielder moving forward. I understand it's still quite early in the season and you probably don't have a real definitive answer, so this is probably more about giving an idea of who us Tigers fans may want to start paying closer attention to as the season unfolds.

noobermensch to me Richmond really needs to add hybrid midfielders who can not only win the ball on the inside, but can then hurt the opposition on the outside with a blend of speed away from the contest as well as ball use. Now I understand that it's early, but who stands out at the moment as that type of midfielder?

Given we're likely to have a top 10 pick, possibly top 5, who out of Smillie O'Sullivan Smith Moraes Draper Lalor Hotton Gross best suits that type of midfielder moving forward. I understand it's still quite early in the season and you probably don't have a real definitive answer, so this is probably more about giving an idea of who us Tigers fans may want to start paying closer attention to as the season unfolds.
I’d agree with you regarding Hybrid. If not than more outside mids than inside as we still have Taranto, Hopper, Mcauliffe as these types.

@noobermensch to me Richmond really needs to add hybrid midfielders who can not only win the ball on the inside, but can then hurt the opposition on the outside with a blend of speed away from the contest as well as ball use.
I hope this doesnt come across the wrong way... but a midfielder that can win the ball inside, spread with run outside and damage with ball use is the full package and the type that comes around a few times per generation to my mind. Dustin Martin... maybe Connor Rozee, although even he isnt that great at winning the ball inside. Typically you have to sacrifice something with even the best of the best. Petracca gives you the inside grunt and outside run, but his disposal can be a bit blast and hope at times.

There's no generational talent in this draft that I think covers all the bases. In terms of run and elite outside ball use/damage you're looking at Finn O'Sullivan. Draper has outside run and dash, can win the ball inside, but his disposal isnt always the best. Smillie is massive and wins the footy, gets around the ground and his disposal is normally above average, but he isnt a speedster.

I hope that helps.

FL 2024: Daniel Rioli meets Damien Hardwick, Trent Cotchin says stars could leave Tigers​

The Tigers remain confident Daniel Rioli will stay, while Trent Cotchin has forecast this could be Dustin Martin’s last season at Richmond and hinted another Tiger could head for the exits.

Richmond believes Daniel Rioli is committed to its long-term future as the Suns on Thursday denied the contracted defender had toured their club while holidaying on the Gold Coast.

Rioli met with former coach Damien Hardwick for a drink while celebrating his birthday during the Tigers’ bye ahead of the Anzac Eve clash.
But while the Suns are desperate to find an elite running back and would be crazy not to have interest in Rioli, Richmond has no intention of pondering a request for a 27-year-old in the peak of his career.
He is contracted for another three seasons until 2027 and is integral to the club’s plans to bounce back to contention.
Daniel Rioli’s uncle Maurice Rioli Jnr, 21, is also putting together his best stretch of form and will win another contract at Punt Road so he would be unlikely to leave his relative and close friend.

His partner Paris Lawrence also has a successful DJing career in Melbourne.

It comes with clubs chasing Gold Coast’s emerging swingman Joel Jeffrey despite a contract to 2028 as it becomes clear he will struggle to get a game given the Suns’ emerging batch of talls.

Jeffrey is hugely talented and played seven games as a key back in 2023 before foot stress fractures ended his season.

With Charlie Ballard, Sam Collins, Mac Andrew, Ethan Read and Jack Lukosius ahead of him as key backs his path to a senior game is clouded.

So with at least two clubs chasing him he would be prepared to move on if he could secure a regular game elsewhere.

Gold Coast has a tight cap so any departures would help for a club which will give Matt Rowell and Charlie Ballard pay rises for deals expiring next year.

The Suns are adamant Jack Lukosius is going nowhere but rivals are pondering whether he might be available at year’s end despite his contract to 2026.

Richmond’s list management position is interesting because the club has over 20 players out of contract, with former captain Trent Cotchin flagging the possible departures of Dustin Martin and Liam Baker on Wednesday.

He said on Channel 7 one or both would leave, saying the numbers thrown at Baker were “pretty significant”,

“I believe that one of them, if not both, will not be in Richmond colours next year. With Baker, the numbers that I’m hearing being thrown around from the west are pretty significant,” Cotchin said.

This masthead revealed in February Baker’s talks were on hold given rival interest, with Fremantle (which has three first-round picks) leading the chase ahead of West Coast.

He has now bought two investment properties in Perth but is adamant it is about his financial future rather than an imminent move home to West Australia.

Richmond coach Adem Yze sat down with his vice-captain several weeks ago and told him the club would not stand in his way if he left but to be his normal effervescent self despite the decision ahead.

“I sat down with him and wanted him to play with a carefree attitude and enjoy his time. When he makes that decision he will make it,” Yze said.

“He is a terrific guy. We love him around our footy club but he will make that decision and whatever way he goes we will back him in with it.”

Martin’s manager Ralph Carr told the Herald Sun in March he would put his talks as an unrestricted free agent on hold as he assessed his future in the manner he did every season.

As an unrestricted free agent he has the choice to move to any club without the Tigers matching a deal but could decide to retire or sign another deal to stay a one-club player.

I hope this doesnt come across the wrong way... but a midfielder that can win the ball inside, spread with run outside and damage with ball use is the full package and the type that comes around a few times per generation to my mind. Dustin Martin... maybe Connor Rozee, although even he isnt that great at winning the ball inside. Typically you have to sacrifice something with even the best of the best. Petracca gives you the inside grunt and outside run, but his disposal can be a bit blast and hope at times.

There's no generational talent in this draft that I think covers all the bases. In terms of run and elite outside ball use/damage you're looking at Finn O'Sullivan. Draper has outside run and dash, can win the ball inside, but his disposal isnt always the best. Smillie is massive and wins the footy, gets around the ground and his disposal is normally above average, but he isnt a speedster.

I hope that helps.
It's all good, appreciate the response and I probably didn't word it the right way.

The way I see our list is that a lot of our midfielders moving forward are either big bodies who can win enough ball, but not known for their ability to break away from the stoppage with speed or smaller fleet footed types who can break away from the contest after winning the footy, but can be exposed against the oppositions bigger bodied mids defensively.

So based on your response and what I think we need at the draft it would seem that Draper & O'Sullivan are the 2 mids that best address that need for a 'hybrid' midfielder who can do a bit of everything at a very good level.

It'd be great if we could bundle up all the picks and end up with Josh Smilie the inside bull and a Moraes/Hotton for outside class. We'd probably need two top 10 picks to do that though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Optimistic in some respects and i know the specifics are not precise, but imagine if we got

A first and second for Baker (Freo 6 and 27)
A first and second for Rioli (GC 8 and 20)
End of first compensation for martin (eg 19)
End of second compensation for Broad (eg 38)
Second rounder for Graham (Adelaide pick 34)

Our draft hand would look like (again roughly)

Richmond 4, 6, 8, 19, 20, 24, 27, 32, 34, 38,

Thats without trading for points or trading for future picks for 2025, whats remaining - 41, 42, 50, 60, 62, 72.

It's all good, appreciate the response and I probably didn't word it the right way.

The way I see our list is that a lot of our midfielders moving forward are either big bodies who can win enough ball, but not known for their ability to break away from the stoppage with speed or smaller fleet footed types who can break away from the contest after winning the footy, but can be exposed against the oppositions bigger bodied mids defensively.

So based on your response and what I think we need at the draft it would seem that Draper & O'Sullivan are the 2 mids that best address that need for a 'hybrid' midfielder who can do a bit of everything at a very good level.
I'd say Finn is more outside than hybrid. He could end up a wing or damaging half forward, or he could be the more outside class type mid that starts in the middle and acts as first reciever from the inside bulls to achieve a higher quality exit.

Optimistic in some respects and i know the specifics are not precise, but imagine if we got

Thats without trading for points or trading for future picks for 2025, whats remaining - 41, 42, 50, 60, 62, 72.
Trading for future picks can be done on the night, as per last yr.

Did u mean, are there any Dusty/Bont/Petracca types in terms of positions they can play & impact on the scoreboard as well as ball winning etc?

Did u mean, are there any Dusty/Bont/Petracca types in terms of positions they can play & impact on the scoreboard as well as ball winning etc?
Not really. I'm looking for someone who can be that outside class that we sorely need.

I like this

7 top 30 picks, to go with the 5 of 2021 and we would be building a pretty good core youth group. This would let us regenerate really quickly, I don't mind it at all, and some of those other picks can be bundled up for points for father sons and academy

Pick 6 is bit of a stretch for Baker let alone for pick 27 to be added in. Possible but unlikely to get pick 6 from Freo. More likely to be one of the other clubs picks they have closer to around pick 10. Then again we did pay pick 6 for Prestia in the past and I think Baker is of the same age and value at the time we got Prestia

If Baker chooses WC then I'd say it would be our pick 3/4 and Baker for WC pick 1 and their 2nd rnd pick (or before 2nd priority pick).

Rioli is contracted to us. If GC really want him then they will need to pay overs. Pick 8 and 20 might be gettable, but get a feeling it may be something like pick 8 and mid second.

I think the compensation for Broad and second rounder for Graham are realistic.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be against the idea that we take a high pick, and a couple of decent picks for this draft, and see if we can trade into next year's draft (obviously depending on what our final draft selection looks like, as well as potential rule changes in terms of bidding).

FL 2024: Daniel Rioli meets Damien Hardwick, Trent Cotchin says stars could leave Tigers​

The Tigers remain confident Daniel Rioli will stay, while Trent Cotchin has forecast this could be Dustin Martin’s last season at Richmond and hinted another Tiger could head for the exits.

Richmond believes Daniel Rioli is committed to its long-term future as the Suns on Thursday denied the contracted defender had toured their club while holidaying on the Gold Coast.

Rioli met with former coach Damien Hardwick for a drink while celebrating his birthday during the Tigers’ bye ahead of the Anzac Eve clash.
But while the Suns are desperate to find an elite running back and would be crazy not to have interest in Rioli, Richmond has no intention of pondering a request for a 27-year-old in the peak of his career.
He is contracted for another three seasons until 2027 and is integral to the club’s plans to bounce back to contention.
Daniel Rioli’s uncle Maurice Rioli Jnr, 21, is also putting together his best stretch of form and will win another contract at Punt Road so he would be unlikely to leave his relative and close friend.

His partner Paris Lawrence also has a successful DJing career in Melbourne.

It comes with clubs chasing Gold Coast’s emerging swingman Joel Jeffrey despite a contract to 2028 as it becomes clear he will struggle to get a game given the Suns’ emerging batch of talls.

Jeffrey is hugely talented and played seven games as a key back in 2023 before foot stress fractures ended his season.

With Charlie Ballard, Sam Collins, Mac Andrew, Ethan Read and Jack Lukosius ahead of him as key backs his path to a senior game is clouded.

So with at least two clubs chasing him he would be prepared to move on if he could secure a regular game elsewhere.

Gold Coast has a tight cap so any departures would help for a club which will give Matt Rowell and Charlie Ballard pay rises for deals expiring next year.

The Suns are adamant Jack Lukosius is going nowhere but rivals are pondering whether he might be available at year’s end despite his contract to 2026.

Richmond’s list management position is interesting because the club has over 20 players out of contract, with former captain Trent Cotchin flagging the possible departures of Dustin Martin and Liam Baker on Wednesday.

He said on Channel 7 one or both would leave, saying the numbers thrown at Baker were “pretty significant”,

“I believe that one of them, if not both, will not be in Richmond colours next year. With Baker, the numbers that I’m hearing being thrown around from the west are pretty significant,” Cotchin said.

This masthead revealed in February Baker’s talks were on hold given rival interest, with Fremantle (which has three first-round picks) leading the chase ahead of West Coast.

He has now bought two investment properties in Perth but is adamant it is about his financial future rather than an imminent move home to West Australia.

Richmond coach Adem Yze sat down with his vice-captain several weeks ago and told him the club would not stand in his way if he left but to be his normal effervescent self despite the decision ahead.

“I sat down with him and wanted him to play with a carefree attitude and enjoy his time. When he makes that decision he will make it,” Yze said.

“He is a terrific guy. We love him around our footy club but he will make that decision and whatever way he goes we will back him in with it.”

Martin’s manager Ralph Carr told the Herald Sun in March he would put his talks as an unrestricted free agent on hold as he assessed his future in the manner he did every season.

As an unrestricted free agent he has the choice to move to any club without the Tigers matching a deal but could decide to retire or sign another deal to stay a one-club player.
We should be looking at talls like Jeffery and Busslinger with 2nd round picks and top line mids with 1st round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back