Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Be interesting to now with Chris Toce what he values in kids strengths wise important traits etc.
Looking at the players he drafted over the last 2 years as the Saints recruiting boss gives you an idea

Phillipou 190cm 88kg Forward
Van Es 196cm 101kg KPD
Hotton 181cm 80kg Midfielder/Forward
Keeler 198cm 91kg KPF

Wilson 185cm 76kg Outside Midfielder
Collard 185cm 73kg Forward
Hastie 190cm 74kg Defender
Garcia 185cm 78kg Midfielder/Forward
Schoenmaker 194cm 91kg Defender

One thing that stands out is that they all have a bit of size about them with Hotton the shortest at 181cm and Collard the lightest at 73kg. Of those that have played at senior level, they all seem to have the ability to use the ball well, with Wilson and Garcia standing out as players who've been able to slot into their midfield from the start with Wilson playing on the wing and Garcia debuting as an centre square midfielder who loves to tackle as well.

He also identified Wilkie when he was the head scout for the Saints in South Australia so can clearly identify talent not just at the top of the draft, but also with later picks.

With the draft haul that we're likely to have this year, I'd be quite confident that he'll be able to get us the type of players that will fit in well with what Yze is looking for as he builds the list that suits his game plan moving forward

West Coast fans on Twitter were pretty pissed reading this.

Respected footy journalist Peter Vlahos has learned details of Fremantle’s pitch to attract out-of-contract Richmond utility Liam Baker to the club this off-season.

Baker, who hails from Perth, has long been a reported target for West Coast but recent reports have suggested Fremantle are also very keen on his services.

The 26-year-old has won two premierships across his 115 games for the Tigers but recently bought a multi-million-dollar property on Perth’s waterfront.

Vlahos says that Baker is on the top of the Dockers’ shopping list and that the club has offered a deal of up to five years to the player and his management.

Liam Baker, who we saw last week play for Richmond against the Eagles, I believe that Fremantle are making a serious pitch to get him to the land of the purple,” Vlahos said on SEN Sportsday WA.

“To the point of view that the 26-year-old is right at the top of the Fremantle Dockers’ shopping list.

“They’re keen to get a ready-made replacement for possibly when Nat Fyfe calls it time.

“They are prepared and they’ve offered Liam Baker’s management an extended contract option of up to about five years I’m hearing.”

While Fremantle are chasing Baker hard, Vlahos doesn’t expect the Eagles to simply lie down and let their rivals get the inside run in hopes of luring him to their club.

He does expect the Dockers to continue ramping up their approach though and says that Fremantle are hellbent and prepared to do whatever it takes to get him in a purple jumper.

“But on the other hand, the West Coast Eagles aren’t just going to lie down and play dead,” Vlahos said.

“They too also are pretty keen to explore the possibility of Liam Baker as well.

“That’s some news that I picked up this morning that the Fremantle Dockers are hellbent to walk over broken glass if possible to get Liam Baker to the Dockers next season.

“That’s to bolster their midfield as Nat Fyfe looks to exit from that position in the not-too-distant future.”

Baker’s immediate focus will be on Richmond’s Anzac Eve clash against Melbourne at the MCG on Wednesday, April 24.

Added a poll on the out of contract players that the club should consider trading.
Left off Dusty, KMac and Jack Graham as they are unrestricted free agents.

I've seen enough

Delist
McIntosh
Colina (should have been gone last year)
Kozi (**** off)

Retire
No one

Trade
Lynch (Too expensive, give money to dusty to retire at Richmond)
Rioli (top 10 pick)
Baker (top 5 pick)
Graham (top 30 pick)

Retain
Prestia & Grimes (play as sub, on field coach, take it easy on the body, transition to coaching), give them good coin (since we gotta pay 95% salary cap) and reward them.
I genuinely feel Rutten and Grimes are doing wonders with our defenders and want Grimes and Prestia to transition to assistant coaches for us

Draft
We should finish bottom four, hopefully we do, so let's say we go into the draft with
Pick 3 (our first rounder)
Pick 5 (for Baker)
Pick 10 (for Rioli)
Pick 21 (our 2nd rounder)
Pick 30 (Graham)
Pick 31 (Lynch)

Next year Round 1
B: Young, Miller, Gibcus
HB: Short, Vlastuin, Broad
C: Campbell, Taranto, Pick 5
HF: Dusty, Pick 10, Shai
F: Rioli, Ryan, Lefau
C: Nank, Pick 3, Hopper
B: Brown, Sonsie, Banks, Ross (Prestia sub)

Nice mix of youth and experience. We need to identify where we are at. We are not winning another flag. It feels like we haven't even hit rock bottom before we start working our way up. Let's honestly negotiate good deals for the players that want to go, let's build a strong draft hand and allow Yze to build his new own team, rather than watch Dimma pick apart his old toys, and slowly watch everyone leave in dribs and drabs

We are currently in no man's land. It's gonna take us two years to realise we're at rock bottom before we get there.

Lets have a few consecutive drafts where we select the best talent in the country, and let's get ready for our next era. In this equalisation model the AFL have, you're either a genuine contender or floundering. Let's select the best players in the country like we did with a young a Cotch, Dusty, Rance, Jack... and build our new era from there on.

Right now. We are unable to do this

Last edited:
West Coast fans on Twitter were pretty pissed reading this.

Respected footy journalist Peter Vlahos has learned details of Fremantle’s pitch to attract out-of-contract Richmond utility Liam Baker to the club this off-season.

Baker, who hails from Perth, has long been a reported target for West Coast but recent reports have suggested Fremantle are also very keen on his services.

The 26-year-old has won two premierships across his 115 games for the Tigers but recently bought a multi-million-dollar property on Perth’s waterfront.

Vlahos says that Baker is on the top of the Dockers’ shopping list and that the club has offered a deal of up to five years to the player and his management.

“Liam Baker, who we saw last week play for Richmond against the Eagles, I believe that Fremantle are making a serious pitch to get him to the land of the purple,” Vlahos said on SEN Sportsday WA.

“To the point of view that the 26-year-old is right at the top of the Fremantle Dockers’ shopping list.

“They’re keen to get a ready-made replacement for possibly when Nat Fyfe calls it time.

“They are prepared and they’ve offered Liam Baker’s management an extended contract option of up to about five years I’m hearing.”

While Fremantle are chasing Baker hard, Vlahos doesn’t expect the Eagles to simply lie down and let their rivals get the inside run in hopes of luring him to their club.

He does expect the Dockers to continue ramping up their approach though and says that Fremantle are hellbent and prepared to do whatever it takes to get him in a purple jumper.

“But on the other hand, the West Coast Eagles aren’t just going to lie down and play dead,” Vlahos said.

“They too also are pretty keen to explore the possibility of Liam Baker as well.

“That’s some news that I picked up this morning that the Fremantle Dockers are hellbent to walk over broken glass if possible to get Liam Baker to the Dockers next season.

“That’s to bolster their midfield as Nat Fyfe looks to exit from that position in the not-too-distant future.”

Baker’s immediate focus will be on Richmond’s Anzac Eve clash against Melbourne at the MCG on Wednesday, April 24.
alright **** it, 2 first rounders then.

I have Baker worth around pick 10. WC doesn't have a pick around that mark. If he goes to WC the three trade scenarios I can see:

1/ If they finish 18th and we finish 15th/16th. Baker and our pick 3/4 for their pick 1 and pick 20.

2/ WC 2nd rnd pick this year and their 2nd rnd pick next year. We may throw in Freo's 3rd rnd pick as a sweetener.

3/ If WC recieve a 2nd rnd priority pick then their priority pick and 2nd rnd pick. We may throw in Freo's 3rd rnd pick as a sweetener.

Though it will be a lot easier if he chooses Freo as they will have the trade capital to make things easier. I think he may opt for Freo over WC if they offer similar money.

Last edited:
I have Baker worth around pick 10. WC doesn't have a pick around that mark. If he goes to WC the three trade scenarios I can see:

1/ If they finish 18th and we finish 15th/16th. Baker and our pick 3/4 for their pick 1 and pick 20.

2/ WC 2nd rnd pick this year and their 2nd rnd pick next year. We may throw in Freo's 3rd rnd pick as a sweetener.

3/ If WC recieve a 2nd rnd priority pick then their priority pick and 2nd rnd pick. We may throw in Freo's 3rd rnd pick as a sweetener.

Though it will be a lot easier if he chooses Freo as they will have the trade capital to make things easier. I think he may opt for Freo over WC if they offer similar money.
Surely he goes Freo if the offers are similar, he'd slot right in and make them that much closer to a premiership. Goes to WC and gets to eat shit for the rest of his career.

IS DUSTY REALLY WORTH TRADE BOUNTY?

Rivals scouting for Dustin Martin’s availability would need him to return to his former glories to be convinced he is worth the significant price tag to get him out of Punt Rd.

Martin has played well in patches this year, despite missing two games with calf issues, but his lack of defensive running has been highlighted.

He has kicked three goals from four games and set Norwood alight with an exceptional first half against St Kilda during Gather Round.

Clubs believe Martin, who turns 33 in June, would consider a move as an unrestricted free agent. But the superstar Tiger, just seven matches short of his 300-game milestone, would also command a significant wage and would likely only move to a contender or up north to Gold Coast, alongside former coach Damien Hardwick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo currently have pick 14 on current ladder positions.

If out if contract Baker requests a trade back home, something like that would be a pretty reasonable trade for us.

It's not overs but we ain't getting overs here.

I thought Jack Callow looked OK in the SANFL vs VFL. Although I didn't watch the whole match.
Still only 21. What are the knocks on him?
An original knock from the 2020 draft was discipline and behaviour. Huge red flags from his days at school. I’ll leave it there. Cleaned up that area and now mentors Tassie kids who move to play SANFL. Studies education which is ironic in some ways.

Also some knocks about his game - quite an old school footballer in the sense of kick-mark style.

He has talent and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him return. Tassie would consider him when they enter.

We are going to be equal last after tomorrow with one of North or Hawks if West Coast hold on tonight.

Bring on pick 1 and a Harley Reid type superstar
Probably end up with pick 3 the way things are going and the last time we had that pick it worked out ok

Probably end up with pick 3 the way things are going and the last time we had that pick it worked out ok
Chicken My Body Is Ready GIF by giphystudios2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back