Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's also before FA compo picks are handed out - Battle & Zurhaar are two that could shunt it down even further, not sure if there are others
Can't see either of them triggering band 1. Battle is an UFA and no club will offer 900K * 6 for a B grader. Zurhaar is more likely to stay now.

What if..

- Dan Rioli to GC for pick 8 and 20

..then

- Liam Baker + pick 8 to WCE for pick 3

Ins:
- pick 3 and pick 20 (probably pushed out to 25-28)

Outs:
- Dan Rioli + Liam Baker

We draft two of Smillie/ FOS / Jagga and set ourselves up for the next decade.
West Coast will try to flog pick 2/3 for a much as possible. More likely they do that trade before they trade for Baker.

This Josh Smillie prospect is interesting.

A few of the draft options are a little iffy.

We do not have anyone like Josh. The pros could be if we got him, we could play him in the middle, we could play him CHF, we could play him on a wing, and mix and match. We could rotate him with others given our other versatile talls and mid options

If he was playing in the guts the likes of him would complement Bolton theoretically because they are opposites so their strengthens counter the others weaknesses and each could improve the other I suppose.

So Smillie may not be a world beater but he could provide more to RFC than other teams in the sense how he would fit in our mix. The other thing is players like Josh do not grow on trees and others candidates are more easily substitutable

The only way I see us getting two top picks for 1 is the saints. They could have pick 4 then get 5 as compo for Josh battle as a free agent on big coin

It might be more like the Suns getting ahead of a bid for Lombard. They have picks 7 and 8 at the moment. Let's say they slide to 9 & 10. They would need to add something. Maybe a player? Someone like Flanders, Davies, Humphries, Ainsworth could fit into this type of deal somehow.

Of course for us to do this we would have to believe the top pick isn't a clear level above what might be available in the lower part of the top 10.

Maybe Suns trade Lukosius to Crows for their first pick with something going back to Crows, another player perhaps? We take their 3 top 10 picks for pick 1 and give them some lower picks for points. We get a rd 2 pick for Graham, and go to the draft with the following actual picks on the night: 6, 9, 10, 28, 29 - we might have a chance of trading up with those last 2 picks and any leftover later picks. This way we could end up with something like 6, 9, 10, 16. We could do plenty of damage with those picks, and that is about as many quality kids as we need coming in at once. You more or less get access to a Gibcus and a Brown + picks 6 and 10, just taking the 2021 draft as a guide.

Only way we get pick 3 has Bolton in that conversation and from what I’ve been informed, both of our players want the wrong clubs for us to get maximum value from if they leave.

Bolton has eyes for Freo.

Baker only wants WCE.

Which makes capitalising full value very hard.

If Bolton wanted WCE, we have the basis of a deal with pick 3 easily coming into calculations.

If Baker was open to Freo, one of their three firsts are easily what we can start the deal at.

Unfortunately for us, if they decide they want to go, it’s not gonna be an easy deal to do.

Ah yes, Matt Clarke. Master recruiter. Thanks for proving my point.

You know who else had an actual job in recruiting? The bloke who took Jono O'Rourke at pick 2. The guy who took Billings ahead of Bont. The bloke who drafted Watts, Scully, Trengove and Toumpas. All the professional recruiters who did it as an actual job who had Bryce Gibbs at number 1.
Comprehension not your strong point. To take over as head recruiter for an AFL club, who he was looking to replace is irrelevant.

Better off watching a few YouTube clips like yourself then, it's that easy.

Only way we get pick 3 has Bolton in that conversation and from what I’ve been informed, both of our players want the wrong clubs for us to get maximum value from if they leave.

Baker only wants WCE.

If Bolton wanted WCE, we have the basis of a deal with pick 3 easily coming into calculations.

If Baker was open to Freo, one of their three firsts are easily what we can start the deal at.

Unfortunately for us, if they decide they want to go, it’s not gonna be an easy deal to do.
Easier for Baker to decide where he wants to go. Bolton is contracted, so we can easily just keep him if it doesn't suit us.

Easier for Baker to decide where he wants to go. Bolton is contracted, so we can easily just keep him if it doesn't suit us.

Absolutely. There’s that. With Bolton, Freo will need to pucker up to get the deal done that’s for sure. Just making an observation of what I have been told.

Baker only wants WCE.

Bolton is easy for us if he wants Freo. We set the price and they come up with it they get him, if they don't, they don't.

There are potential ways they can satisfy us if say we tell them we want a top 6 pick plus something else for Bolton. They can trade all their available 1st round picks(3 this year, 1 next year) for a high pick with another club potentially. Eagles for a prime example. Eagles trade out their top pick for the 4 Freo picks. Freo gives us the pick 2/3 for Bolton. Eagles give us the highest value Freo 1st rounder for Baker.

Hopefully we don't lose both those players, but that is how something like that could work. Freo are all out for their first flag so 4 picks likely between 12 & 20 for Bolton would be justifiable for them.

This Josh Smillie prospect is interesting.

A few of the draft options are a little iffy.

We do not have anyone like Josh. The pros could be if we got him, we could play him in the middle, we could play him CHF, we could play him on a wing, and mix and match. We could rotate him with others given our other versatile talls and mid options

If he was playing in the guts the likes of him would complement Bolton theoretically because they are opposites so their strengthens counter the others weaknesses and each could improve the other I suppose.

So Smillie may not be a world beater but he could provide more to RFC than other teams in the sense how he would fit in our mix. The other thing is players like Josh do not grow on trees and others candidates are more easily substitutable
Smillie on one wing , Ross on the other with Hopper & Taranto feeding it out to them - lmao pace to burn right there...... :$

Baker only wants WCE.

Pick 23 and F2 from Eagles would be a good deal for us for Baker.

A deal for Bolton would be easy. They have 3 1st rounders, we take all of them even if we have to give something back later.

That'd leave us with 1, 10, 13, 16 and 21 with the option of trading for Blues or Lions 1st still available (12 or 17), plus an F2.

Having said that I think we hold on to Bolton and hopefully Baker and offload Rioli to Suns for 2 x 1sts instead. That'd be something like 1, 7, 8, 12/17 and 23 come draft time.

Baker only wants WCE.

Freo has four first rounders they can offer us, plenty of value to be had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A deal for Bolton would be easy. They have 3 1st rounders, we take all of them even if we have to give something back later.

That'd leave us with 1, 10, 13, 16 and 21 with the option of trading for Blues or Lions 1st still available (12 or 17), plus an F2.

Having said that I think we hold on to Bolton and hopefully Baker and offload Rioli to Suns for 2 x 1sts instead. That'd be something like 1, 7, 8, 12/17 and 23 come draft time.
23 and f2 for Baker is going to actually be picks 30 & 30 or thereabouts. That is no good. That amounts to about pick 20 in value. He is worth more like pick 12/13.

I have no issue with Smillie if he has good athletic traits

YoYo
Sprint / Repeat sprint
Leap
Agility

Would love to see these numbers compared to Bonts numbers at the same age
but im crap with search and need to be spoon fed

Better endurance, speed, agility.

Same vertical.

He’s better than all of Bont, Green and Cripps were in those categories.

nope, Would not take 3 first rounders for Bolton, Freo do not have the draft capital so will not happen
i think

Same vertical.

he looks quicker than Hopper in the videos and lowish centre of gravity for a 194cm player.

Might be a bit of big player versus kid syndrome but I just think he can add bit to our list because we do not have a tall mid, we are not that strong on the wings either and CHF is a little clouded for us and Smillie may be able to present in some capacity with a reasonable tank. It is something we do not really have. Balta is terrific and a bit of a cult player, but does not have the tank.

If we got Josh we really could mix and match a few of our versatile talls as well as our smaller mids and others. It could work out for us without Smillie being a super star.

If we had Josh we may not need a second ruck, not that Josh would ruck, but our aerial options would be better and we can get others to pinch hit for Nank

Last edited:
That's another reason not to take Smillie. Our midfield needs pace. Spot the difference between FOS tripping the light fantastic and Smillie tripping over his own feet.
Has apparently tested quicker than Cripps & Bont but he looks about the same pace as Green to me.... :think:

What ********er wrote that heap of shit?

From all reports. I suggest you watch him. Watch him against SA stand over the ball hoping the ball bounces up into his arms to save him going to his knees to get it, then keep watching as Draper goes hard at the pill, gathers and spins in one motion then runs away leaving Smillie standing empty-handed like a big galoot.

Smillie can come through a stoppage and gather the ball provided he doesn't have to bend down too far, but winning the proper hardball is not his one-wood.

He's slower than Hopper.

That's another reason not to take Smillie. Our midfield needs pace. Spot the difference between FOS tripping the light fantastic and Smillie tripping over his own feet.

Hoppers 20m times aren’t really too far off in his draft year.

Pretty similar to Smillie.

Smillie ran a 3.077 as an underager last year and 3.093 this preseason

FOS ran a 3.188 in preseason last year and 3.046 this preseason.

I wouldn’t describe FOS as quick, he’s very agile, which may give the impression he is quick around the contest given his change of direction.

Last edited:
Hoppers 20m times aren’t really too far off in his draft year.

Pretty similar to Smillie.

Smillie ran a 3.077 as an underager last year and 3.093 this preseason

FOS ran a 3.188 in preseason last year and 3.046 this preseason.

Have you got either Sid Drapers or Tom Gross testing results?

23 and f2 for Baker is going to actually be picks 30 & 30 or thereabouts. That is no good. That amounts to about pick 20 in value. He is worth more like pick 12/13.
Probably not quite but hopefully with the father-son and academy tweaks it won't be quite as bad. There also won't be any Norf assistance picks in there next year.

There was 11 compensation, Norf priority, academy and father son selections before the 2nd round began last year. I don't think there will be that many this year.

Same vertical.

That's good enough for me.

Lets Go Screen GIF by Doctor Who

Probably not quite but hopefully with the father-son and academy tweaks it won't be quite as bad. There also won't be any Norf assistance picks in there next year.

There was 11 compensation, Norf priority, academy and father son selections before the 2nd round began last year. I don't think there will be that many this year.

I’m not accepting two second round picks for Baker. We need to get a first for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back