Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular opinion

Smillie may end up better than last years number 1 pick

Stuff Harley Reid , keep pick 1
Don't think so.
Seen Reid in 2022 champs playing against oppos 1yr older and he killed it.
Smillie not near that level.

Can someone start a welcome Harley Reid #9 thread?
Maybe it should be me. I did the Taranto one miles in advance and then he picked us

secret smell GIF

Should have retired before MSD they would have known he was cooked, Griggs did it to get Pickett in 19 some of our leaders are selfish and our culture sucks
2019 we were making finals. So Grigg freeing up a spot was important for Pickett. Not many of our players pull the pin early like Caddy. Like Naismith, Grimes & Tarrant they seem to hang around for the season.

In fact this year we take only took 2 MSD picks. Not sure, but maybe the club know $1 million of Dusty money is probably available next season & Lynch money soon after.

I was tipping the 30 year olds retire over the next 2, 3 seasons but maybe spread it over 4 and the club has a cohort of senior players as cheap coaches.

Shanahan had probably his best Champs performance in the Allies final game of the series. Matched up on Riak Andrew, the two had a ding dong battle with both having some big moments to impress the scouts. Shanahan probably just shaded the contest, taking some nice grabs and booting three majors.

Shanahan had probably his best Champs performance in the Allies final game of the series. Matched up on Riak Andrew, the two had a ding dong battle with both having some big moments to impress the scouts. Shanahan probably just shaded the contest, taking some nice grabs and booting three majors.

Jeez he moves well.

I disagree with that bolded part, strongly.

All he needs is everything not to go wrong around him, something he shares with just about every player in the competition who isn't a bull inside mid.

In 2022 Bolton was the 17th highest rated player in the AFL in a decent but not dominant team, as a 23yo.

In 2023 Bolton was the 19th highest rated player in the AFL in a team that was competitive but below average.

He was Richmond's highest and second highest(not far behind Taranto) coaches vote winner in those seasons. This would historically equate to B & F finishing positions and is what people mostly think of as a team's best player.

Imo it is just straight out wrong to say Bolton needs it all set up for him. He is a genuine star player, easily our most valuable player and is every chance to do untold damage in big games throughout his prime.
I'm not saying that Bolton isn't a star player, as he certainly is. My point is that he isn't someone that I'd build a side around. He is a cream on top type, which I believe you agree with given the bolded above.

As I said earlier today, if the roles were reversed there would not be a single Richmond fan who would happily see the club hand over 4 R1 picks for him, even if they were mid/late R1 picks like Fremantle has, which is why I don't believe Fremantle will hand over what you and others suggest they should.

No, I'm saying if we get pick 8 just take Allan. Don't give up an extra pick just because 3 is a 'better' pick.

Chris Judd told us to GAGF. Never wanted to play for us. Thank Christ he did, we would have given away Cotch and Rance.
He may have said no to us but we had the better offer and he was contracted so he didn't have a say.

But yeah, in hindsight, thank ****

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying that Bolton isn't a star player, as he certainly is. My point is that he isn't someone that I'd build a side around. He is a cream on top type, which I believe you agree with given the bolded above.

As I said earlier today, if the roles were reversed there would not be a single Richmond fan who would happily see the club hand over 4 R1 picks for him, even if they were mid/late R1 picks like Fremantle has, which is why I don't believe Fremantle will hand over what you and others suggest they should.

How do you build a team??

It depends on the build does it not??

We do not have to build around Bolton, he can just come for the ride and lend support...

I would argue easier to build with Bolton than a Chris Judd

Last edited:
I’d doubt we do go smilie , Hartley has form and he never goes for the obvious more likely someone like Reid , ranked like top 5 but not obvious big cohuna
Hartley doesn't pick ND picks.

Toce will be picking. Reckon he will go the high upside guy.

I've been pondering on this issue that has vexed a few of us.

The answer now seems obvious to me. If you take pick 30 of the draft you are getting the 30th best player and it doesn't matter that is was the 20th best player that was available to you. All the 29 players taken before your pick are out there in the system playing against you(obviously bar any you have taken yourself.) So if pick 20 is shunted to pick 30, it is worth pick 30, end of.
Isn’t there 2 pre sec round norf priority pics so plus 2 to the above

I think Yze does too. Look at the way we cut the Swans up with the 45 degree ball into the corridor.

Be good to have good kickers in the side. I agree, Yze game plan will demand it.

If this is the case, there needs to be a huge change to our list as we had a totally different chaos game plan that didn’t require high level kicking skills.

Back