Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Be good to have good kickers in the side. I agree, Yze game plan will demand it.

If this is the case, there needs to be a huge change to our list as we had a totally different chaos game plan that didn’t require high level kicking skills.
If we are going by how he wants us to play using the corridor than footskills are a must, , teams will murder you if you turn it over if your skills aren't on point.

Apparently on mid week tackle, they have said Bolton is staying at Richmond. He’s told the club he wants to stay. Partner watching just told me - I don’t watch those shows. He’s a scum Blues man.
Did he just start watching footy again last year like the rest of those scumbags?

To be fair to him, he’s stuck with them through the darkness (that I never let him forget 😜).

He’s also a very measured footy follower. He kinda likes the Tigers and celebrated our flags. Not that he had a choice.
None of this sounds like a Carlton fan. Reckon you're a chance of converting him.

secret smell GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of this sounds like a Carlton fan. Reckon you're a chance of converting him.

secret smell GIF
I know right. Most Blues fans are delusional but he’s pretty rational. No chance he coverts but he does have a soft spot for the Tigers. Don’t understand why though as he knows how much I despise his team. Maybe he is as delusional as the rest!

I'm not saying that Bolton isn't a star player, as he certainly is. My point is that he isn't someone that I'd build a side around. He is a cream on top type, which I believe you agree with given the bolded above.

As I said earlier today, if the roles were reversed there would not be a single Richmond fan who would happily see the club hand over 4 R1 picks for him, even if they were mid/late R1 picks like Fremantle has, which is why I don't believe Fremantle will hand over what you and others suggest they should.

I think we might be getting confused between what Bolton is worth to us and what he is worth to a contending team. Contending teams have much higher tariff priorities, if for example they need a strong experienced key defender to handle opposition big forwards(like the Hawks' Brian Lake acquisition in 2012) that player can literally make the difference between multiple flags and no flags. Fremantle have lost Henry, Shultz and Walters is just about finished. A player like Bolton can turn the resultant weakness into a huge strength for them, and he can add some serious dynamism to a classy midfield as well. In his prime in a strong team with a good defensive ethic, he could tear a quality opponent to shreds in minutes in a final.

For the last 3 years including 2024 Shai Bolton is the highest rated player AND has the highest coaches votes of any player in the AFL defined as a mid-forward. Those are the only 3 years he has been defined as a mid-forward. Over those 3 seasons he produced the AFL #2 AFL #1 and this year AFL #5 rating of any player defined as a forward. And he has been in the top handful of forwards for coaches votes.

To overpay for Bolton is a privilege for Fremantle, so it would be rude to rob them of that privilege.

But in reality he is also a very big asset for us to lose. If they don't pay the price plus some then it is just better to retain him on our list.

Last edited:
Back