Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like when Carltoon were down the bottom for so long they acted like campaigners in the PSD. Time to return the favour 10 fold.
Who we gonna target?
There'd be plenty of Carlton players getting underpaid with Williams, Curnow, Cripps, McKay, Weitering, Saad, McGovern, De Koening and Walsh taking the lions share.

Bend over Blue dickheads
Jack carrol

Four which included Baker in the deal.

3 x 1st Rounders this year
1 x 1st Rounder next year

That won’t happen now that Bolton has said he wants to stay. Things could change but for now that’s where it’s at.

As I’ve maintained, Baker if he goes (which I’m leaning that he will) will only be to WCE despite what’s happening.

Hearing about Smillie makes me think this year might be the perfect year to split pick #1.

Since 2010, here is where pick 1’s would go in a re-done draft - approx:

2010: Swallow (outside top-5)
2011: Patton (outside top-20)
2012: Whitfield (around 4-5)
2013: Boyd (outside top-20)
2014: McCartin (outside top-20)
2015 Weitering (top-3)
2016: McGrath (outside top-10)
2017: Rayner (outside top-10)
2018: Walsh (top-5)
2019: Rowell (around 6-7)
2020: JUH (top-3)
2021 onwards (too early)

If there was a locked and loaded guaranteed gun - ala Walsh, JHF … then hold #1. I remember there was zero doubt Walsh and JHF would be stars. They may not end up
the best players from their draft year, but close enough to it.

If there’s doubt about Smillie being a definite gun then why not split the pick if we could get a #4 and #7 for example?

Teams are scared to trade #1 ‘just in case’ the pick becomes a superstar. But if #1 elect has question marks …. imagine Lions traded #1 and instead of Rayner got LDU (4) and Naughton (9). Yes, they could have mucked up both picks, but in a year the #1 doesn’t seem clear cut IMO it’s worth considering if big enough offers come in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hearing about Smillie makes me think this year might be the perfect year to split pick #1.

2015 Weitering (top-3)
2021 onwards (too early)

If there was a locked and loaded guaranteed gun - ala Walsh, JHF … then hold #1. I remember there was zero doubt Walsh and JHF would be stars. They may not end up

If there’s doubt about Smillie being a definite gun then why not split the pick if we could get a #4 and #7 for example?

Teams are scared to trade #1 ‘just in case’ the pick becomes a superstar. But if #1 elect has question marks …. imagine Lions traded #1 and instead of Rayner got LDU (4) and Naughton (9). Yes, they could have mucked up both picks, but in a year the #1 doesn’t seem clear cut IMO it’s worth considering if big enough offers come in.

100%. Comes down to the offer but needs to be entertained.

Four which included Baker in the deal.

3 x 1st Rounders this year
1 x 1st Rounder next year

That won’t happen now that Bolton has said he wants to stay. Things could change but for now that’s where it’s at.

As I’ve maintained, Baker if he goes (which I’m leaning that he will) will only be to WCE despite what’s happening.
Pretty sure they need to use at least one at the draft to try satisfy the AFLs rule of taking 2 1st round draft picks to the draft in a 4 year period. They gave up their 2022 and 2023 1sts for Jackson. Jackson being so young will probably get them off the hook for one of them like JHF did for Port.

Only 4 #1 Picks have won flags: Banfield,Headland,Hodge,Boyd and Boyd won it at his second club....:think:
Yeah that's how it goes as they usually end up with the bottom team. And the ones that move on after a while make poor choice of new team. Boyd was having a nightmare season at dogs only came good for that grand final.

I think we might be getting confused between what Bolton is worth to us and what he is worth to a contending team. Contending teams have much higher tariff priorities, if for example they need a strong experienced key defender to handle opposition big forwards(like the Hawks' Brian Lake acquisition in 2012) that player can literally make the difference between multiple flags and no flags. Fremantle have lost Henry, Shultz and Walters is just about finished. A player like Bolton can turn the resultant weakness into a huge strength for them, and he can add some serious dynamism to a classy midfield as well. In his prime in a strong team with a good defensive ethic, he could tear a quality opponent to shreds in minutes in a final.

For the last 3 years including 2024 Shai Bolton is the highest rated player AND has the highest coaches votes of any player in the AFL defined as a mid-forward. Those are the only 3 years he has been defined as a mid-forward. Over those 3 seasons he produced the AFL #2 AFL #1 and this year AFL #5 rating of any layer defined as a forward. And he has been in the top handful of forwards for coaches votes.

To overpay for Bolton is a privilege for Fremantle, so it would be rude to rob them of that privilege.

But in reality he is also a very big asset for us to lose. If they don't pay the price plus some then it is just better to retain him on our list.
Seems like we both agree on what Bolton can be as a player and that he needs the right situation to truly flourish and become a consistent player, but disagree on what his worth is at the trade table.

I can understand the desire to get 3-4 R1 picks but to me that would be reckless for a player like Bolton.

Doesn't matter now as Bolton appears to be staying which is what I've preferred happened all along

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2015 Weitering (top-3)
2021 onwards (too early)

nah, we can get other picks in other ways which helps our development further..

one player does not make a team and it is not just zbout superstars, it is about players that help our team play better for longer, helps the team get better and some are not easy to come by.

I am not saying Smillie would b a superstar for us, hope so but may not happen, I just think he would open so many more opportunities for us in terms of team combinations, ball transition and down the track further potential synergies in terms of reducing our current list limitations.

For example he could help our forward line play better, he could help Shai play better, Balta play better and a host of others just in terms of what he brings on the field and how he uses and gets the ball among our mix of players because he provides something we do not have currently, stronger marking, stronger run, stronger disposal, stronger presence and in a way that does not step on others toes in terms of compromising their roles because he offers something others cannot do in the way he does it

Just on those list of number ones you mention, Smillie is non of those in terms of like for like so he is a unusual commodity and I suppose this is the argument for others, he could improve the versatility within our list greatly opening uo new team synergies within our mix

Last edited:

2015 Weitering (top-3)
2021 onwards (too early)

I would look at it , we can still pick up a gun mid
And maybe a key forward like Shanahan
So far there is no clear cut number 1
Which means we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone
If the offers are what we want.

I would look at it , we can still pick up a gun mid
And maybe a key forward like Shanahan
So far there is no clear cut number 1
Which means we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone
If the offers are what we want.
of course we cop a dud draft when we have pick 1