Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like we both agree on what Bolton can be as a player and that he needs the right situation to truly flourish and become a consistent player, but disagree on what his worth is at the trade table.

I can understand the desire to get 3-4 R1 picks but to me that would be reckless for a player like Bolton.

Doesn't matter now as Bolton appears to be staying which is what I've preferred happened all along

Good to see our club and players maintaining faith in each other. If we can get any sort of run with fitness the club could be going places by 2026, with hopefully the likes of Lefau, Gibcus and Jud Clarke back at full steam and likely about 3 top 10 draft picks added to our list, and Rioli Jnr, Ross well entrenched in our team, and possibly a good free agent. Bolton could be terrorising teams in finals in the late 2020's. It is easy to forget we could be inserting about 6-7 decent prime aged players into our team over the next 18 months along with likely 3 top 10 draft picks and possibly a few other decent draftees as well.

Given there is no absolute standout for pick 1 and that the top five are pretty even, would it be worth packaging pick 1 (if we finish last) for two high picks, providing one of them was in the top five?
Just putting it out there.

Given there is no absolute standout for pick 1 and that the top five are pretty even, would it be worth packaging pick 1 (if we finish last) for two high picks, providing one of them was in the top five?
Need someone to have the picks available to do that trade with us

Currently it would only be us trading pick 1 to Gold Coast for picks 7 and 9 (I think?)

Not sure I’d do that trade. There does seem to be a consensus top two picks and then at least a bit of a drop from there

It would definitely be worth discussing; and the additional picks would possibly enough in combination with our current hand to enable a move back into the first round again .

The Cadman deal probably the framework which was 3, 12 and a F2 for 1. That was part of the Horne-Francis trade so the value may be a little skewed, but that would be the framework.

Also, whilst it’s always dangerous to compare to other sports, when the top pick is moved it is generally for at least another top 5 pick in the same draft.

Issue for mine is twofold; is there a team that would have those assets, and would that team also desperately want a player that would be one of the top two selections?

Realistically only three teams would be possible at this stage. North Melbourne; West Coast (if Baker doesn’t seek a trade to them AND they move someone like a Barrass for a later FRP) and Saints (if Battle leaves and they get FA comp).

I think on face value it would be difficult but certainly should be explored imo.

Need someone to have the picks available to do that trade with us

Currently it would only be us trading pick 1 to Gold Coast for picks 7 and 9 (I think?)

Not sure I’d do that trade. There does seem to be a consensus top two picks and then at least a bit of a drop from there
If AFL gifts Saints band 1 for Battle (LOL) that would be the only way I'd trade down for 4 & 5.

Excluding the guys already aligned I think there is a top 2 and then a next 4 (Draper, Smith, Reid, Lalor). Maybe Trainor fits that group too but we really don't need another KPD so don't think I'd want to be forced into taking him.

Harley Reid body language during the Simpson press conference and the fact Simpson looked to have some choice words to him and another player as he entered his press conference gives me hope Harley at WCE may not be long term. Stuff I’ve heard I’ve never really given credence too before but seeing that with my own eyes, something ain’t right.

I’ve been told Harley has a huge voice internally and his attitude has been a bit vindictive. It’s all interesting.

Harley Reid body language during the Simpson press conference and the fact Simpson looked to have some choice words to him and another player as he entered his press conference gives me hope Harley at WCE may not be long term. Stuff I’ve heard I’ve never really given credence too before but seeing that with my own eyes, something ain’t right.

I’ve been told Harley has a huge voice internally and his attitude has been a bit vindictive. It’s all interesting.
Welcome to Richmond Riley
Sorry I meant Harley Reid

Saints may have pick 5 & maybe 6(FA battle).
But if no standout @1 i doubt even STK would do that deal.

He's played what, 10 games? And he's supposedly acting like that? Last campaigner I'd want at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would definitely be worth discussing; and the additional picks would possibly enough in combination with our current hand to enable a move back into the first round again .

The Cadman deal probably the framework which was 3, 12 and a F2 for 1. That was part of the Horne-Francis trade so the value may be a little skewed, but that would be the framework.

Also, whilst it’s always dangerous to compare to other sports, when the top pick is moved it is generally for at least another top 5 pick in the same draft.

Issue for mine is twofold; is there a team that would have those assets, and would that team also desperately want a player that would be one of the top two selections?

Realistically only three teams would be possible at this stage. North Melbourne; West Coast (if Baker doesn’t seek a trade to them AND they move someone like a Barrass for a later FRP) and Saints (if Battle leaves and they get FA comp).

I think on face value it would be difficult but certainly should be explored imo.

Suns could trade Lukosius and say pick 9 to Crows for Crows pick 5. Then trade 5 and 8 to us for pick 1.

If there are no standouts in the top 5, why would a club who has a pick in the top 5 give us two picks and hamstring themselves for pick 1. Doesn't make sense.

If you were to offer that pick up, who takes it?

As you say there is no stand out, like last year, so given that what club is going to want to give up two R1 picks.

Maybe if someone was to blitz btwn now and trade period, and there was a clear standout, then we’d have suitors for pick 1. But if that was to happen, then obviously we want the best kid in the land.

Just can’t see it happening

Must take Jobe Shanahan with one of our picks

Ticks all boxes could be the next Curnow
Interesting wears number 12 , 18 on 2/8/24 194cm ….

It may not be popular but certainly worth considering splitting pick one but would need to do (which I’m sure RFC will do) some thorough analysis on opposition list needs around us on the ladder? If we can get at least 2 picks in top 10 but needs to be after list trades etc settled…

I don’t think its a dud draft, just no standout.

I prefer that than get overhyped about someone only for them to end up average.
Not only this makes it more interesting come draft night. Not knowing who will go pick 1.

Playing senior WAFL post Champs for Peel, Allan acquitted himself well in his old third tall & rebounding defender role. The most impressive aspect of his performance has to be his ferocious tackling display, registering 12 on the official stats sheet along side many other pressure acts. On a day where the Peel defenders were often content to chip the ball sideways to each other, Allan had a couple of passages of play where he took the game on with dash and dare to break the lines and creating scoring opportunities.

GC makes sense but don't currently have good enough picks to tempt us (imo of course)
I can't see it happening unless they decided to offload Lukosius and managed to get pick 4 off Adelaide in the deal.

4, 7, 20 for example would probably get it done.

It all depends on who we rate highest and who others rate highest. If we rate someone non-consensus as highest, or don't have a clear leader, we could trade down to pick 3/4 if we think we could still get them and bump up our draft haul.

Trade period / National Draft 2024

Back