Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this risk of being absolutely potted, thought I’d provide my top 30 at the conclusion of the champs having paid additional attention for this years draft crop.

1. Finn O’Sullivan
  2. Josh Smillie
  3. Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane F/S)
  4. Luke Trainor
  5. Murphy Reid
  6. Sid Draper
  7. Leo Lombard (Suns Academy)
  8. Harvey Langford
  9. Jagga Smith
  10. Bo Allen
  11. Taj Hotton
  12. Jobe Shanahan
  13. Tobie Tavagolia
  14. Christian Moreas
  15. Sam Marshall (Brisbane Academy)
  16. Josh Murphy
  17. Harry Armstrong
  18. Harry O’Farrell
  19. Tyler Welsh (Adelaide F/S)
  20. Isaac Kako
  21. Sam Lalor
  22. Ben Camporeale (Carlton F/S)
  23. Malachi Champion
  24. Xavier Lindsay
  25. Jonty Faull
  26. Joe Berry
  27. Cooper Hynes
  28. Tim Gross
  29. Zak Johnston
  30. Harry Oliver
Have at it.
Not that I saw much, but how can you put FOS as no.1 based on his output? He didn't do a lot. Surely he slides down a bit but perhaps still top 8-10 on potential?

At this risk of being absolutely potted, thought I’d provide my top 30 at the conclusion of the champs having paid additional attention for this years draft crop.

1. Finn O’Sullivan
  2. Josh Smillie
  4. Luke Trainor
  5. Murphy Reid
  6. Sid Draper
  8. Harvey Langford
  9. Jagga Smith
  10. Bo Allen
  11. Taj Hotton
  12. Jobe Shanahan
  13. Tobie Tavagolia
  14. Christian Moreas
  16. Josh Murphy
  17. Harry Armstrong
  18. Harry O’Farrell
  20. Isaac Kako
  21. Sam Lalor
  23. Malachi Champion
  24. Xavier Lindsay
  25. Jonty Faull
  26. Joe Berry
  27. Cooper Hynes
  28. Tim Gross
  29. Zak Johnston
  30. Harry Oliver
Have at it.
Some good talent there ✅
Love to get harry Armstrong at our pick around 20

Trade pick 1 & some junk picks for GC's 7, 8 and 20.

then we get Brisbanes first rounder for more junk picks

Finn is going to have to get a wriggle on to go at no 1.

Not that I saw much, but how can you put FOS as no.1 based on his output? He didn't do a lot. Surely he slides down a bit but perhaps still top 8-10 on potential?

I’m still maintaining the faith in FOS for the time being.

His bottom-age production was very good, and his lead in to the champs (multiple injuries, minutes restrictions and no Coates League coming back from the injury) clearly had an adverse impact on his production.

The question is how much do you buy the underdone aspect of the last two weeks.

He does have to show now at lot more at now at Talent League level, and I suspect that if there were any real A+ ready to go talent he’d probably have fallen back a few spots.

I’m still maintaining the faith in FOS for the time being.

His bottom-age production was very good, and his lead in to the champs (multiple injuries, minutes restrictions and no Coates League coming back from the injury) clearly had an adverse impact on his production.

The question is how much do you buy the underdone aspect of the last two weeks.

He does have to show now at lot more at now at Talent League level, and I suspect that if there were any real A+ ready to go talent he’d probably have fallen back a few spots.
Thats fair and you are not alone that is for sure.

What the current form lines show, is 12 months is a long time in footy, especially from 16-17 years of age which I tried to explain to another poster who went off half cocked at the suggestion that Lalor is looking very promising.

Last edited:
195cm key forward Harry Armstrong may have arrived at the Champs late, but in his three games he's sure made an impression. He launches at contested marks, finds space and separation on the lead, and possesses an accurate cannon of a left foot making him a threat anywhere within 60 meters of goal. His five goals here were a single game high for the Champs series and a critical factor in Metro's win.

Tobie had a fantastic game here that was unfortunately mired by a controversial (to say the least) free kick and 50 meter penalty against him that handed Vic Metro the game. Up until that pivotal moment, Tobie was his usual combination of intensely competitive defender and damaging rebounder, regularly disrupting Metro's forward thrusts before setting up his team with attacking dash. Tobie's consistently strong performances have put him right in the top 10 frame.

liked armstrong and berry's games.

armstrong's marking a big tick and will push him up the order i think

1. Finn O’Sullivan
  2. Josh Smillie
  4. Luke Trainor
  5. Murphy Reid
  6. Sid Draper
  8. Harvey Langford
  9. Jagga Smith
  10. Bo Allen
  11. Taj Hotton
  12. Jobe Shanahan
  13. Tobie Tavagolia
  14. Christian Moreas
  16. Josh Murphy
  17. Harry Armstrong
  18. Harry O’Farrell
  20. Isaac Kako
  21. Sam Lalor
  23. Malachi Champion
  24. Xavier Lindsay
  25. Jonty Faull
  26. Joe Berry
  27. Cooper Hynes
  28. Tim Gross
  29. Zak Johnston
  30. Harry Oliver
Have at it.
loved the bolded and wouldn't mind Sims too.

if we can trade into a few picks in the teens should be able to secure a few quality players

Berry and Armstrong would do wonders in a few years for our forward line.

I am staying the course with Lalor, massive upside IMO and mids that can go forward and kick goals combined with burst from stoppage are GOLD!

As a goal kicking mid he is well ahead of everyone else in the draft which could arguably mean his upside is greater. Was concerned by his pace and spread from contest in his two champs games but having watched some footage of his games last year at NAB league level I think it's more likely a case of carrying an injury or putting too much weight on too quickly rather than an issue that will affect him at the higher level.

Could argue his output is higher than everyone else given he was the best performed 16 year old and best performed under ager last year.

Can see North taking Trainor with their first pick. Pick 1 or 2.

And I have a feeling the Tiges will take/ are keen on Jagga Smith @ 1 or 2.
  • from Richmond
  • best performed player this year
  • trained with the team already
  • similar type of player to N.Daicos
  • can replace the class of Cotchin in the middle.
Basically fills a glaring hole in our midfield.
Complaints on him being slightly built don’t add up in this modern aged footy, the game suits players with his attributes well. - and with protection from Taranto/Hopper could come into the team round 1.
He reads the drop of the ball better than anyone he’s played with and is creative and agile with his evasiveness.

If Baker leaves that opens the door for us to secure another top 10 pick. The chance of a player such as:
  • Toby Travaglia - long term Vlastuin replacement. Reads the play better than most, takes the game on and has sublime skills.
  • Jonty Faull - legit natural key forward. Should grow into a big marking, stay at home type of key forward. Riewoldt replacement.
  • Sam Laylor - another bull for the midfield, can possibly fill a fragment of the void Dusty will leave.
  • Murphy Reid - classy goal kicking midfielder. In the mould of Steele Sidebottom, he is the player people on this board think Sonise is. Edwards replacement
  • Harvey Langford - no fuss, get the job done type of midfielder. Is a taller mid that could compliment a player like Jagga.
Could be in the 8-15 range
  • Jobe Shanahan - lead up CHF type of key forward, leads up the ground and can take a grab. Good kicking action. Lynch replacement.
  • Harry Armstrong - different sort of key forward prospect. Jarrod Roughead is who could resemble at AFL level. Long accurate left foot kick.

Anything added to those prospects would be a great draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Finn O’Sullivan
  2. Josh Smillie
  4. Luke Trainor
  5. Murphy Reid
  6. Sid Draper
  8. Harvey Langford
  9. Jagga Smith
  10. Bo Allen
  11. Taj Hotton
  12. Jobe Shanahan
  13. Tobie Tavagolia
  14. Christian Moreas
  16. Josh Murphy
  17. Harry Armstrong
  18. Harry O’Farrell
  20. Isaac Kako
  21. Sam Lalor
  23. Malachi Champion
  24. Xavier Lindsay
  25. Jonty Faull
  26. Joe Berry
  27. Cooper Hynes
  28. Tim Gross
  29. Zak Johnston
  30. Harry Oliver
Have at it.

When Gross is going at 28, Kako at 20, Lindsay at 24, Faull at 25, Hynes at 27, Lalor at 21 😂, you know it’s a bloody strong draft.

Now imagine having five of these guys into our squad. Make a difference you reckon?

Big wraps on Lindsay & Armstrong. Upside on Simms , Faull's great at ground level.
Trainor is everything you want in a defender. Harvey Landford gets Jordan Dawson comparison.
Impressed by Jack Whitlock athleticism and Murphy Reid's skill.
Tobie Travaglia was incredible with his intercept marking and speed off half back. Had 8 score involvements. A great offensive / defensive package.

Jagga Smith the best performed for the championship for the players in contention for pick no 1

When Gross is going at 28, Kako at 20, Lindsay at 24, Faull at 25, Hynes at 27, Lalor at 21 😂, you know it’s a bloody strong draft.

Now imagine having five of these guys into our squad. Make a difference you reckon?
Nek Minnit - We draft 5 unknowns (Toce reportedly hiding behind trees as we speak)...:drunk:

We got rid of that fool. Toce won’t hide behind trees, the big man knows he will be seen regardless 😂
He's in WA looking for the next Conca so it's a Boab tree:

boab-tree-bottom-image.jpg

Draper making a case for Pick 1 with his performances in the SANFL over the last two weeks. We really need to see the likes of Smillie and Smith (with us!!!) at VFL level soon so that we can get a true comparison.
It won't be a true comparison because the VFL is stronger than the SANFL.

Can see North taking Trainor with their first pick. Pick 1 or 2.

And I have a feeling the Tiges will take/ are keen on Jagga Smith @ 1 or 2.
  • from Richmond
  • best performed player this year
  • trained with the team already
  • similar type of player to N.Daicos
  • can replace the class of Cotchin in the middle.
Basically fills a glaring hole in our midfield.
Complaints on him being slightly built don’t add up in this modern aged footy, the game suits players with his attributes well. - and with protection from Taranto/Hopper could come into the team round 1.
He reads the drop of the ball better than anyone he’s played with and is creative and agile with his evasiveness.

If Baker leaves that opens the door for us to secure another top 10 pick. The chance of a player such as:
  • Toby Travaglia - long term Vlastuin replacement. Reads the play better than most, takes the game on and has sublime skills.
  • Jonty Faull - legit natural key forward. Should grow into a big marking, stay at home type of key forward. Riewoldt replacement.
  • Sam Laylor - another bull for the midfield, can possibly fill a fragment of the void Dusty will leave.
  • Murphy Reid - classy goal kicking midfielder. In the mould of Steele Sidebottom, he is the player people on this board think Sonise is. Edwards replacement
  • Harvey Langford - no fuss, get the job done type of midfielder. Is a taller mid that could compliment a player like Jagga.
Could be in the 8-15 range
  • Jobe Shanahan - lead up CHF type of key forward, leads up the ground and can take a grab. Good kicking action. Lynch replacement.
  • Harry Armstrong - different sort of key forward prospect. Jarrod Roughead is who could resemble at AFL level. Long accurate left foot kick.

Anything added to those prospects would be a great draft.
If Richmond are going to go against the grain and taking Jagga Smith with pick 1 then it may be worth trading our pick 1 with the Saints or Adelaide for their pick 4 or 5 plus their future 1st if it looks like other clubs are going to select Smillie, FOS and Trainor ahead of Jagga Smith.

That way we still get Smith and also set up our draft hand for next year.

Lets see him back in Coates with his match fitness improved. He's the main one that can join the 4 I posted above but they've got more runs on the board either this year or previous years. Travaglia playing midfield at Coates could push too.
glad you changed your avatar

FOS looked off the pace a bit, and underdone which was understandable given his disrupted season, wouldn’t put too much stock into it or over index based on one performance, even though it was the champs final. He was still immense as an under- ager and had some really good games at the start of the year for oakleigh before the hand injuries mounted up.

It’s still Smilie, FOS and now lalor for our first pick for mine. Whilst smilie and Lalor weren’t necessarily prolific in the final, the things they were really promising. Smilie stood up in tackles, broke tackles and his disposal is very good for a midfielder of his type. Lalor won contests inside 50 and was able to fend off and break tackles as well. That’s exactly what our midfield is lacking these point of difference mids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back