List Mgmt. Trade targets 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of these discussions are kind of difficult to have without knowing the context of the new coach and the direction they want to take the team in.

If we're going into a bit of a rebuild then trading someone like Houston for a decent pick(s) would be a fairly astute move. He's a player who is the right age bracket for a contending team, he's from Victoria, he's probably reached his peak and therefore is fully priced by the market.

But if we're looking to actually bounce back next year and contend ourselves, trading a solid and consistent performer like Houston wouldn't be a smart move at all.

Some of these discussions are kind of difficult to have without knowing the context of the new coach and the direction they want to take the team in.

If we're going into a bit of a rebuild then trading someone like Houston for a decent pick(s) would be a fairly astute move. He's a player who is the right age bracket for a contending team, he's from Victoria, he's probably reached his peak and therefore is fully priced by the market.

But if we're looking to actually bounce back next year and contend ourselves, trading a solid and consistent performer like Houston wouldn't be a smart move at all.
Even if we do rebuild Dan is 24 and at the right age to be a major part of it. Will hit his prime in 2-3 years.

Reached his peak? He's finally getting consistent midfield action for the first time in his career and is 24.

Trading a 24 year old that is one of your best players for a draft pick in the hope that in 6 years that draft pick becomes an equally as good player, is not how you rebuild.
Half our squad plays wing/half back, and most of them at a pretty high standard. If you were going to shed one player you would choose Houston because he isn't critical and would command a good price.

Half our squad plays wing/half back, and most of them at a pretty high standard. If you were going to shed one player you would choose Houston because he isn't critical and would command a good price.

Houston isn't purely that player. He plays wherever he's put.

Trading a 24 year old that is one of your best players for a draft pick in the hope that in 6 years that draft pick becomes an equally as good player, is not how you rebuild.

Is Houston really one of our best players? I think that's pretty debatable.

We just signed Houston to a five year contract extension. He'd be more surprised than me if he was put on the trade table!

Drew Barrymore What GIF by Saturday Night Live

Bonner untouchable?

Houston not in our best players?

Have I stumbled into the Unpopular Opinion thread by mistake or something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, I disagree.

When I think of our best players I'm thinking Wines, Boak, Butters, Dixon, Aliir.

Houston is in the next tier. He's a good player, very consistent and reliable, but not as high impact as the above.

Fair enough, I disagree.

When I think of our best players I'm thinking Wines, Boak, Butters, Dixon, Aliir.

Houston is in the next tier. He's a good player, very consistent and reliable, but not as high impact as the above.
I'd trade Wines way before I traded Houston.

Fair enough, I disagree.

Boak and Dixon will be retired in a year or two, making holding on to middle aged players even more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back