Discussion Trades - Who should the Saints target??

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as you didn't add that they need another 30+ goal tall forward like say ... um ... Jay Schulz or a nippy midfielder who can average 15+ possessions and 5 tackles a game like ... er ... David Rodan?

Someone there already mentioned Rodan.
They don't seem too feral compared to certain other boards.

As much as I dont want to pick up recycled players, thought it was a fair point Hutchy made last night about McDonald.
We could use another in and under player.
I might have got him for the finals this year if there was free agency but I don't think it is worth it next year.
But would you take him?

thought it was a fair point Hutchy made last night about McDonald.

Hutchy was a rabble last night and I switched off after he could not find it within himself to acknowledge that Caro was right about the bummers having meetings behind Knights' back earlier in the year. Saw the quick interview with Dustin Fletcher when they asked "Did you have an inkling this (the sacking) was going to happen?". Response "Yep".

But I did laugh when he threw to GT to ask him what he knew about drugs in footy. Thomas gave a dead-panned "I have absolutely no idea" and he may of well of just leaned to the side and ripped out a stinker up Hutchy's nostrils.

Was Hutchy talking about Ronald McDonald?

As much as I dont want to pick up recycled players, thought it was a fair point Hutchy made last night about McDonald.
I might have got him for the finals this year if there was free agency but I don't think it is worth it next year.
But would you take him?

No. If the Premiership alludes us this year, and the window is still open in 2011 & 2012 a player like him isn't going to help. You'd think we'd need more than his calibre to win the flag....I think we've got enough 2nd tier mids...we don't need to add more.

1 or 2 absolute Jets would be a good starting point. I still think someone like Varcoe would be worth throwing some serious coin at (if it's available?).

Alternately, the club will need to look to the future sooner or later. Ross can't keep doing the "Kevin Sheedy/Michael Voss" and hoping for a decent finish to keep his job (talking about 2012/2013/2014). Trading for recycled players can only be sustained for so long before it all collapses...a la Brisbane Bears.

But would you take him?

I think McDonald was a bit unlucky to get the chop from Melbourne, probably still has a year or two left. Not sure if he would suit us though, would prefer someone younger with a bit more pace ie. Chris Knights or Rischitelli.

They also mentioned on FC last night how West Coast should look at trading Dean Cox to a team close to a premiership like ourselves or Hawthorn. Would definitely love a ruckman of Cox's class but whether we could afford him or could offer West Coast enough tradewise to satisfy them is another story.

i want 2 players with absolute pace. we will desparately need it in the future (whether we win the flag this year or not) as melb. north. essendon, carlton etc etc have extremely pace footballers, and we will need to compete

we need to get 2 ready made player and the rest newies i think. the ready made player we should go for is Mckinely and a quick midfielder if armitage is staying an inside mid if armitage is gone.

Quick Midfielder - 20YO - senior football experience - ready to play AFL - easily done.
How about the guy who came 9th in the repeat sprints at the 2008 draft camp. Also rated among the best for vertical leap.

Or there is another guy who came 7th in the 20m sprint the same year.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68589

Seriously we have people coming through, and some of them arent far off.
We need to look at who isnt coming through. Do we have a long term replacement for Milne? ( Not sure that Steven isn't more suited to the midfield ).
We are unlikely to trade for anyone for more than depth unless we can get a medium forward. ( But we have guys coming through who may be able to do that as well ).

Personally I think we are pretty well topped up and I hope we don't trade in more than one player this year. ( And I'm happy if we get none).

I just think we should draft the best possible and elevate Gaertner, Simpkin and Walsh. ( Can we keep McGrath - he's really really tall ).

4 way trade:

Armitage to Gold Coast
Draft Picks to Freo
Pavlich to Adelaide
Knights to St kilda

Then again I guess the GC can get Armitage for nothing?

I do like the idea of having Chris Knights to compliment our forward line.
What about Nathan Jones? His name might come up at trade week.

assuming pav leaves. remember last time his contract was up there were rumours.

I don't think pav WANTS to go to adelaide at all and if he leaves he will GC.

Time to develop youth or look for "clint-jones-was-the-first-but-podsiadly-is-the-only-one-mentioned" mature age trades.

assuming pav leaves. remember last time his contract was up there were rumours.

I don't think pav WANTS to go to adelaide at all and if he leaves he will GC.

Time to develop youth or look for "clint-jones-was-the-first-but-podsiadly-is-the-only-one-mentioned" mature age trades.

Haha, Gold. And spot on. Jonesy's problem is that he's so good looking everybody thinks he's a kid. If he was uglier, like Pods (who I think is a top bloke, but isn't going to win a beauty contest), he'd be recognised for what he is.

Haha, Gold. And spot on. Jonesy's problem is that he's so good looking everybody thinks he's a kid. If he was uglier, like Pods (who I think is a top bloke, but isn't going to win a beauty contest), he'd be recognised for what he is.

Any time he's mentioned on the main board, while they are discussing Barlow, Podsiadly etc, "oh yeah but Jones is different , his poor disposal was always going to let him down ".

Personally I think we have many other players with worse disposal, and other teams do as well.

I was personally under the impression for some time that he was a schoolboy playing the top level.:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not pace but good use of the ball, well used to be, would travis johnston for a final rounder and 1 year base contract appeal?

the hobo? no thanks
he can't even get a game for Brisbane half the time

Didn't we screw the Bulldogs in the 08 draft, trading our 2nd round for Ray and a 3rd round, as well as making them take Cordy with their 1st round? lol.

Would we be willing to give up our first round for Everrit and Hill? I reckon the double deal could be done, Everrit could be our mid-sized half forward, while Hill could run around doing everything and nothing at the same time.

Apart from Chris Knights, and Bachar Houli, has anyone thought about Rodan? Its unlikely, but with lovett's 350k a year lying around, plus being close to a premiership, I wouldn't mind taking him.

didnt they knock back pick 24 or something last year as part of the Ball to Ferals trade?

didnt they knock back pick 24 or something last year as part of the Ball to Ferals trade?

yep - demanded at least pick 21 when pick 25 (after the filth traded Smellingham to Norf and gave it to the Saints for the testicle) was the offer.

Didn't we screw the Bulldogs in the 08 draft, trading our 2nd round for Ray and a 3rd round, as well as making them take Cordy with their 1st round? lol.

Would we be willing to give up our first round for Everrit and Hill? I reckon the double deal could be done, Everrit could be our mid-sized half forward, while Hill could run around doing everything and nothing at the same time.

Apart from Chris Knights, and Bachar Houli, has anyone thought about Rodan? Its unlikely, but with lovett's 350k a year lying around, plus being close to a premiership, I wouldn't mind taking him.

dunno if i'd want to take a player with his knees.

Andrejs Everitt is ok, but he's no peter. his disposal would have to improve a lot to make our best 22. However he does try so one cannot fault him for enthusiasm and POSSIBILITY.

Player i really like from adelaide who is just what we need (pace and run and carry) Dave Mckay. Melbourne boy, quic, runs and carries always has a bounce good by foot. gets his 20 odd touches.

Would be a good addition. Think he has a contract tho and pretty sure hes happy in adelaide.

It was announced today that Adelaide would get a selection at the end of the first round, while Port Adelaide would receive one after its second round pick.

So lets say Armitage goes to the Gold Coast we would assume we would get the same compensation as Port Adelaide, probably better then what most were waiting for.

It was announced today that Adelaide would get a selection at the end of the first round, while Port Adelaide would receive one after its second round pick.

So lets say Armitage goes to the Gold Coast we would assume we would get the same compensation as Port Adelaide, probably better then what most were waiting for.

You have got it wrong as usual....Armitage is not going anywhere..... *Abuse*

You have got it wrong as usual....Armitage is not going anywhere..... *Deleted*

Well thats your opinion, and last time I checked we are all allowed to have them. But maybe you need to start preparing yourself for major let down when its announced that he is going, as most people seem to be doing. Id love him to be staying but you have to face facts and they all point one direction, to the Gold Coast.

Only time will tell who is correct.

Well thats your opinion, and last time I checked we are all allowed to have them. But maybe you need to start preparing yourself for major let down when its announced that he is going, as most people seem to be doing. Id love him to be staying but you have to face facts and they all point one direction, to the Gold Coast.

Only time will tell who is correct.
Show us one scrap of evidence that he is going to the GC.
Apart from the gossip and innuendo fostered by people like your good self there is zero substance to any of this crap.
Still it's all ''grist for the mill''over at trublu sainters where they think Jack Steven is going to be a champ and Armo is a lazy,fat bastard who is not good enough to tie up Peakey, bootlaces..;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Trades - Who should the Saints target??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back