Discussion Trades - Who should the Saints target??

Remove this Banner Ad

i agree sherman would be a good fit for you guys is very quick which is what you need and is a front runner so he shouldnt have any problem fitting in seeing he would be playing in a good team

I reckon the key is that every team needs different players to make their structure better.

We need quick smalls. Some teams have plenty because they've gotten heaps of good draft picks are turning over lots of kids and can't afford the extra small players on the ground.

I just want pace, super quick players that can crumb the ball off the deck quickly in a loose ball situation.

me too. i think we will be desparate for them next year! milne is getting older, and we have none to replace him. would have liked a garlet, or a jetta etc

Milney is playing the best footy of his career right now. Theres no reason why he couldnt be playing this well in 2 seasons either. In fact the only players I can see slowing down in the next 2 years are Blake and Gardiner. Baker and Milne have got at least 3 seasons left I think and Lenny probably 2. mids really slow down around 32 if they make it.

i have seen the names peak & ray mentioned in this thread or players that have fallen out of favour.

Jordan Mcmahon....... was a pretty good outside player at the dogs & wanted to leave had 2 clubs chaseing him port & richmond and with good $$$ as well $350k to be precise lol.

did ok in his 1st year & pretty well in his 2nd espevially after rawlings took over from terry. but was always & still is hated by the tiger supporters for the pick the tigers gave up to get him (pick 19) so he was always behind the 8 ball from day 1.

hardwick comes in & pretty much doesnt get a gig & was injured in the last part of the year & no goodbye game. adios amigos

stkilda & sydney specially have been very good in recruiting player like this & turning them around, i see him as very much a Rhyce Shaw or Farren Ray type standard type player ''Runner''

would pretty much cost nothing really upgrade our 5th to your 4th which is probably 5-6 places really just to facilitate the trade or psd if you wanted

lyon was known to be intrested in him last year Any Thoughts
otherwise will be delisted this year.

Trouble is we have replaced our Charlie Gardiner's and Aaron Fiora's now, we need to go a step further up the rung. We don't need another Farren Ray, we need someone better.

Just putting it out there but what about the VFL given the success of this years recruits. I actually work with this years Liston Medal winner Shane Valenti. He was delisted from Melbourne the previous year only cause of contract constraints. Tough inside midfielder with great skills and ability to get through packs. Only 22. Thoughts....would free up our other mids to run wide and use skills. Also kicked at least 1 goal in every game this year for Port.

Yes please Valenti!!

I remember he was an up and comer at the Dees but it's been harder to get a game there than you might think given the quality of their draft picks.

Given the Liston medal stuff there could be some competition for him.

He should contact the club immediately so we can get the scoop :p

Trouble is we have replaced our Charlie Gardiner's and Aaron Fiora's now, we need to go a step further up the rung. We don't need another Farren Ray, we need someone better.

The most accurate comment in he entire thread SS. NOW is the correct time to look at replacing Lenny, Dal, Grammy and Joey...A young gun (18 year old) who can serve an apprenticeship under these stars, play alongside BJ, Jack, Alli etc.

IMO we don't need to be topping up with 2nd rate mids. Quality is the key.

I feel like raising the Chris Tarrant situation again.

a) Do we need him?
b) Can we afford him?
c) What is his value?
d) What could we give Freo?

I reckon we can afford him, and I reckon his value is around the Pick 30 mark. Do we need him? Not exactly need, but he'd be a stellar inclusion.

What could we give Freo? Well, there's always the pick that could come from Armitage leaving if he does leave, which, I would hope, would be an early second rounder at the latest (Krakouer went for a second round pick IIRC). I reckon, if we gave them Pick 30-40, Freo would bite. We could also offload a Clarke or a Pattison (who they probably wouldn't take, since they already have Johnson, Bradley and Clarke) if that helped.

Would love to have Tarrant, will be number 1 FB until Dawson bulks up, but he has a short life at St Kilda.

However, Knights is a higher priority than Tarrant though. Tarrant would be very nice though.

I feel like raising the Chris Tarrant situation again.

a) Do we need him?
b) Can we afford him?
c) What is his value?
d) What could we give Freo?

I reckon we can afford him, and I reckon his value is around the Pick 30 mark. Do we need him? Not exactly need, but he'd be a stellar inclusion.

What could we give Freo? Well, there's always the pick that could come from Armitage leaving if he does leave, which, I would hope, would be an early second rounder at the latest (Krakouer went for a second round pick IIRC). I reckon, if we gave them Pick 30-40, Freo would bite. We could also offload a Clarke or a Pattison (who they probably wouldn't take, since they already have Johnson, Bradley and Clarke) if that helped.

Would love to have Tarrant, will be number 1 FB until Dawson bulks up, but he has a short life at St Kilda.

However, Knights is a higher priority than Tarrant though. Tarrant would be very nice though.

You would probably need to de-list one of the players you mentioned to have room on the list for him.

I think Tarrant would be a great inclusion to the Saints list, especially considering your window will far from close next season or the one after.
He will be your #1 FB, something that Dawson has really struggled with this year, and has been a bit of a void since Hudghton retired and Maguire left.

A lot depends on whether or not you're prepared to totally bottom out after this lengthy window...and if theres enough room on the list, an in the salary cap.
I think he's a great option!

Good point, I revel at the amount of games Ross gives the boy.

However St Kilda have been strongly linked to Tarrant, along with Carlton, the Pies and the Hawks.
So the fact is they're considering it...and Ross's love for Dawson might change when they 'have a better option'...in his own words.

Apologies. I haven't read this thread until now because I'm not interested in discussing trades until the season is over.

However because of that it's meant I've missed out on all of the rubbish going on in here.

Once again I will ask people to report posts. There's no point making comments within the thread asking for action to be taken. If you report a post Kildonan and I receive an email and we can decide upon a course of action.

Anyway there should be around 30 posts removed now (Kildonan must hate my lack of regard for improving the post count of this board ;)) and I will ask the people in question ONCE that they don't take their childish little vendettas from other fan sites onto this board. It is very easy for Kildonan and I to remove your access from this board. Very easy.

We only had one Charlie Gardiner and Aaron Fiora,

OT: I hope we stick with Dawson although he is more of a zone player then 1 on 1, he will be our full back for the next 10 years so he will improve, hope we don't go after a full back like Tarrent who won't be there for the future.

I reckon we should look into the draft for faster players or give some younger blokes like Winmar(Hoping he is fast or I'll look like an idiot) as our premiership window is closing within the next few years(Unfortunately)

The most accurate comment in he entire thread SS. NOW is the correct time to look at replacing Lenny, Dal, Grammy and Joey...A young gun (18 year old) who can serve an apprenticeship under these stars, play alongside BJ, Jack, Alli etc.

IMO we don't need to be topping up with 2nd rate mids. Quality is the key.

Dal, Joey and Gram still have 5+ years of footy left in them lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather than delete everything I've gone through and edited a lot of the posts which has proved far too time-consuming and I won't be doing it again.

This is Bigfooty. Do not take arguments from other websites onto here. Next time the posts will be deleted and you will receive an infraction. The time after that it will be a red card and a permanent ban from this board. The fact you're St Kilda supporters is irrelevant because what you are doing is ruining the experience for the 99% of our supporters who come here for intelligent and reasonable discussion.

We only had one Charlie Gardiner and Aaron Fiora,

OT: I hope we stick with Dawson although he is more of a zone player then 1 on 1, he will be our full back for the next 10 years so he will improve, hope we don't go after a full back like Tarrent who won't be there for the future.

I reckon we should look into the draft for faster players or give some younger blokes like Winmar(Hoping he is fast or I'll look like an idiot) as our premiership window is closing within the next few years(Unfortunately)

Dal, Joey and Gram still have 5+ years of footy left in them lol.

David Armitage -drafted 2006, Eddy, 2006. Jack Steven 2007.
LOL all you like. Fouryears on how are they going at displacing our older players.:rolleyes:

There's a thread on the west coast board, that mckinley has requested a trade to victoria.

They need an outside midfielder, and some of the whisperings been about a direct swap for josh hill, ALASTAIR SMITH etc.

Would we take this? I would like to think so. he demolished us earlier in the year.

McKinley for Alias? That'd be trading a player who will address a weakness for one who might. For all the BigFooty hype, McKinley played ten games this year for a wooden spoon side. He's not worth Aker killer.

http://www.footydraft.com/ben-mckinley/

Could be a handy player to have around, but I'd hate to trade Smith, who I see as a potential future gun ( as opposed to Geary and Eddy who I see as more workhorses).
Is there a future for forwards who can't rotate through the Midfield? ( I see Milney up the back and in the middle a lot these days ).

McKinley for Alias? That'd be trading a player who will address a weakness for one who might. For all the BigFooty hype, McKinley played ten games this year for a wooden spoon side. He's not worth Aker killer.

Wouldn't mind getting McKinley, could be a handy addition to our forward line but don't think we should be trading Smith for him. We need all the quality young midfielders we can get as we aren't exactly flush with them.

McKinley is apparently an Essendon supporter so wouldn't be surprised to see him end up there.

Spanger and Mckinley have asked to leave west coast..I would def look at Mckinley however I think there will be some competition for him so we would have to give up something decent... Essendon will go in hard for him for sure.

I would also make a move for Sherman... I can imagine Ross will stick with his plans from the last few years and as long as we are at the top.. keep trading for mature age players that are ready to make an impact... its worked for us so far.. until we bottom out I believe we should continue to do that if there's a player who will improve us/

Spanger and Mckinley have asked to leave west coast..I would def look at Mckinley however I think there will be some competition for him so we would have to give up something decent... Essendon will go in hard for him for sure.

I would also make a move for Sherman... I can imagine Ross will stick with his plans from the last few years and as long as we are at the top.. keep trading for mature age players that are ready to make an impact... its worked for us so far.. until we bottom out I believe we should continue to do that if there's a player who will improve us/

only if the lions are paying a fair whack of his contract.

he's pretty expensive

only if the lions are paying a fair whack of his contract.

he's pretty expensive

Thats the other thing to remember, I think the Saints have been pretty good at keeping a lid on salary levels within the club, but if you bring in someone from outside at a higher salary, and they are not better than those already at the club, you can create all sorts of upsets.

Yer that is true i hadn't considered that. We do have a spare 300 k from lovett don't we? I still wouldn't want to overpay players and upset our current group. McKinley would be a great fit for us tho... hes a talented player with an attitude problem that could be fixed.

Yer that is true i hadn't considered that. We do have a spare 300 k from lovett don't we? I still wouldn't want to overpay players and upset our current group. McKinley would be a great fit for us tho... hes a talented player with an attitude problem that could be fixed.

what's the problem?

i don't know too much bout him so i'm genuinely intrigued.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Trades - Who should the Saints target??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back