Game Day U18 National Championships - Allies v Vic Country Sunday July 7th 10.35am

Remove this Banner Ad

The clubs arrogance probably didn't have us with pick 1 though...

This. Club have been arrogant on our list and talent level now for too long. Need to stand back and analyse properly.

I am a huge Lalor fan, but if they are taking him number one right now, I have questions.

My top 5 as of today:

1. FOS
2. Smilie
3. Smith
4. Reid
5. Lalor

Long way to go though. Reid will surprise some but **** me he’s one of the smoothest moving players with high footy nous I’ve seen in a long time.

This. Club have been arrogant on our list and talent level now for too long. Need to stand back and analyse properly.

I am a huge Lalor fan, but if they are taking him number one right now, I have questions.

My top 5 as of today:

1. FOS
2. Smilie
3. Smith
4. Reid
5. Lalor

Long way to go though. Reid will surprise some but **** me he’s one of the smoothest moving players with high footy nous I’ve seen in a long time.

Reid looks as good as any of them....be more than happy with him....

My top 5 as of today:

1. FOS
2. Smilie
3. Smith
4. Reid
5. Lalor

If you're basing FOS as number 1 on today's game alone, I'd be very worried.
No doubt there is a lot of talk and articles on him over the past 12 months so I understand it's there for a reason. However, from what I have seen, he doesn't look dominant/explosive for a number 1 pick type player. IMO he's a bit slow/calm, light body and not desperate 'stands out in your face type'. This is the player you would want with Pick 1. Jumping to AFL level is a massive difference too. I know he's academy, but Lombard was the better player/has a good sidestep and seems tough at the contest.

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably pick him or Smillie at 1 right now but that is purely based on speculation, not from what I have seen that's for sure. Hoping we get to see some more before the draft and looking forward to see how it plays out.

Also where is all this Lalor stuff coming from? Who has said we are interested? And if so..surely not!

No doubt there is a lot of talk and articles on him over the past 12 months so I understand it's there for a reason. However, from what I have seen, he doesn't look dominant/explosive for a number 1 pick type player. IMO he's a bit slow/calm, light body and not desperate 'stands out in your face type'. This is the player you would want with Pick 1. Jumping to AFL level is a massive difference too. I know he's academy, but Lombard was the better player/has a good sidestep and seems tough at the contest.

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably pick him or Smillie at 1 right now but that is purely based on speculation, not from what I have seen that's for sure. Hoping we get to see some more before the draft and looking forward to see how it plays out.

Also where is all this Lalor stuff coming from? Who has said we are interested? And if so..surely not!
Lalor is a very very good football player
I'm sorry you can't see it
But he is an outstanding prospect

Yes I’m basing it on this game only 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does this guy get his info? Posts a lot of stuff as if he has inside info, but has yet to be proven right.

It's rubbish. We don't know what picks we are going to have at this point so the idea of being obsessed with any player is complete bullshit, especially in a draft as even as this years is.

Where does this guy get his info? Posts a lot of stuff as if he has inside info, but has yet to be proven right.
He is apparently a recruiter who the boys on the Tigercast speak to as well. Had us linked to McAuliffe last year FWIW

Last edited:
He’s actually correct in that we do very much like Lalor and Faull. I know this for a fact.

But to say we will only select them is wrong. I imagine reality is finally hitting Tim Livingston and Blair Hartley that our list is ****ing shit and we will be getting a top two pick but more likely, a number one pick so it opens up a world of possibilities.

If they have Lalor ranked number one at this stage, then they are crystal ball readers not recruiters.

I have had a few conversations with recruiters in the past, and here and some really noteworthy SC that they look for based on my conversations

1. Character and personality (can he build culture ? Can he contribute to culture? Is he loyal? Is he a sponge? Is he arrogant ?) These are all traits recruiters value highly. It used to be family and upbringing, connections and such, but honestly, guys like Dusty changed that mentally. Not as important anymore.

2. Athletic pedigree (does this player excel on all sports? Does this player exercise, diet, train like an athlete? Or does this need to he taight. Ben Lennon needed to be taught, Petracca naturally an athlete. Look how they turned out)

3. Football skill (loving the game from young, athletic, professional athlete, and great character? You've got yourself a trent cotchin)

Clubs also don't like to take KPP very early anymore (picks 1-3) because at 18, players grow and growth also stunts in others. So best available is almost always a midfielder now.

I don't know this crop much, but Simile doesn't look like an athlete, Sam Lalor does. You guys would know better than me if Lalor has skill, speed, smarts, etc

Look at guys like Dow, Dawkins, Lennon, Corey Ellis, all of these 1st round Draft picks were allergic to the gym. Never became professional athletes, didn't have mass, couldn't put it on, never excelled in the next level up.

Petracca, Reid, Dusty, all with puppy fat early on, but you could see they were strongly built from day dot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back