Game Day U18 National Championships - Allies v Vic Country Sunday July 7th 10.35am

Remove this Banner Ad

McAuliffe tested elite for speed. Graham and Hopper should be irrelevant to our long term plans. Pick best available and fill in the gaps later.
We look so much better when Bolton's in the middle.
We need more of his type.Not a lumbering Bull.

Very exciting if that’s the case

Maybe he will push Cumberland out like Meteoric Rise said
Don't think we need Jagga too push Cumbers out.
But yeah if true it'll give us a leg up on Jagga.

We look so much better when Bolton's in the middle.
We need more of his type.Not a lumbering Bull.
We need everything. We are the worst team in the comp with no A graders under 25.

He is about twice as strong as the next kid though, that's actually a problem because we can't get a gauge of how he'd perform against another midfielder in the 90kg range who he'll be manning in the AFL. You could argue he has a pretty low ceiling.
I get your point but I completely disagree with the low ceiling. In fact I think it’s quite the opposite. His frame is built to be able to add plenty more muscle.

Patrick Cripps is the on the money comparison. Both have/had massive frames with “puppy fat” that will turn into muscle easy. Bont was similar. That’s the prototype for the kind of player you pray Smillie will become. IMG_0897.jpeg IMG_0898.jpeg

Jack Graham suits what you are talking about a lot more, and it was the reason why he fell so low on the draft and we were able to nab him. His body was already matured and he already had the muscle, and it showed in his play. He was able to play in the AFL early and unfortunately hasn’t improved too much since those early days. Smillies potential is huge that’s why he’s still talked about going number 1 over someone like Jagga Smith who is performing much more consistently.

Last edited:
I get your point but I completely disagree with the low ceiling. In fact I think it’s quite the opposite. His frame is built to be able to add plenty more muscle.

Patrick Cripps is the on the money comparison. Both have/had massive frames with “puppy fat” that will turn into muscle easy. Bont was similar. That’s the prototype for the kind of player you pray Smillie will become. View attachment 2049219View attachment 2049220

Jack Graham suits what you are talking about a lot more, and it was the reason why he fell so low on the draft and we were able to nab him. His body was already matured and he already had the muscle, and it showed in his play. He was able to play in the AFL early and unfortunately hasn’t improved too much since those early days. Smillies potential is huge that’s why he’s still talked about going number 1 over someone like Jagga Smith who is performing much more consistently.
The last part is the exact art of recruiting. Smillie could make Toce look a genius or a complete gimp in 4 or 5 years. Smith you know roughly what you're going to get.

The last part is the exact art of recruiting. Smillie could make Toce look a genius or a complete gimp in 4 or 5 years. Smith you know roughly what you're going to get.
Bang on mate. Smith is awesome, love him as well but you know what your getting. Smillie is the big swing for the fences

Patrick Cripps is the on the money comparison. Both have/had massive frames with “puppy fat” that will turn into muscle easy. Bont was similar. That’s the prototype for the kind of player you pray Smillie will become. View attachment 2049219View attachment 2049220

I don't disagree with you and I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him. Just citing it as a risk. If he continues to develop on this trajectory he could be a generational freakish beast. OR he could be Jack Graham and find that when shaping up to other heavy weights you've lost your point of difference. If his entire game is built upon the fact that hes bigger and stronger than everyone around him and it is, arguably your ceiling could be pretty low once those tools are taken away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bang on mate. Smith is awesome, love him as well but you know what your getting. Smillie is the big swing for the fences
Simllie was all australian CHB at under 16's apparently.

So he can play forward, in the guts, wing and CHB. that means he is safe, what standard?? we will see but safe and offers something different.

we need as many top 10 and top 20 draft picks as possible

Best available.
That could very well be Trainor
Could be. Would be interesting. Gibcus could be cooked, Balta is a FA next year I believe.

I'm hoping Draper goes nuts and separates himself and the BA is also the need 😆

We're slow enough as it is.
Hopper/Mcauliffe/Graham
We need spark.

The spark is right in front of our eyes.. Shai Bolton. After TT went off Bolton played mostly mid and had 8 touches, 1 x goal, 1 x goal assist, 3 x clearances and 3 x SI’s in a quarter!

Bolton needs to be 70/30 mid!

He’s exactly the speed our midfield needs, but he’s not played there enough because we are making room for TT, Hopper and Prestia, who can’t play anywhere else.

FFS … play Bolton as a midfielder ala Butters, Warner, Daicos and Reid … if this move happens when Bolton is 28yo I’ll spew 🤢

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The spark is right in front of our eyes.. Shai Bolton. After TT went off Bolton played mostly mid and had 8 touches, 1 x goal, 1 x goal assist, 3 x clearances and 3 x SI’s in a quarter!

He’s exactly the speed our midfield needs, but he’s not played there enough because we are making room for TT, Hopper and Prestia, who can’t play anywhere else.

FFS … play Bolton as a midfielder ala Butters, Warner, Daicos and Reid … if this move happens when Bolton is 28yo I’ll spew 🤢

I agree but it seems that once Yze has a plan he sticks with it. That means Balta and Bolton forward where possible.

Frustrating.

Hence why I'm keen on a Fos/Jagga & Draper.
We can still keep Bolton as is as he is still our dangerous fwd outside of Lynch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day U18 National Championships - Allies v Vic Country Sunday July 7th 10.35am

Remove this Banner Ad

Back