Umpiring [vs Eagles Mega Thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of threads talking about different aspects of a similar issue is fine.

To a degree but after a certain amount of time, discussion tends to phase into the same things.

3 losses by less than a kick.
All virtually decided with the last kick of the game.
I just feel fed up at the moment.
It brings out the worst in me - I act like such a campaigner after a loss like that - this season has just made me bitter.

I feel like taking a hiatus atm, North always drags me back in. I don't watch much other football these days apart from north.

Regarding the umpires, I usually defend them more than most - but lately they just can't help but get involved in the games unnecessarily. Sometimes I genuinely have to wait to see which way their hand is pointing to know which way the kick is going. Even with the strange new rules their interpretations are just so skewed an sometimes are just plain wrong.

I'm 29 and in my 24th season of following north. That loss was particularly bad for me because:

1. It was the 3rd loss this season less than a kick.

2. That's the season gone virtually. Now I have to wait another year if my life for a chance of success. And we are overdue.

3. It just wasn't fair (but hey neither is life)

As I said, I feel like I need a break. North will drag me back in.
I started following them when I was 5 for no particular reason. None of my family support them and we weren't particularly successful when I was 5. There's just something that sucks me in about them.
I live in buenos aires and drag my arse out of bed at 3:30 for those Sunday twilights. I hate footy at the moment but I know I'm gonna keep setting the alarm.
I just don't know why I keep doing it.

P.S: if essendon go untouched, that will also be the last straw for me. I think I would passively renew my north membership, but I'd probably be far more removed from the game.

Don't know why essendon are being thrown up around here... I hope they get off! (if essendon dont, the game will end up falling apart- probally a good thing?)

Im a neutral supporter and im sick to death of seeing north lose close games. I want this team so much to be successful. I believe this is the year north push towards the top. Season is not over by any means. I mean you've still got GC, MELB, GWS, etc to come. Dont be so hard on yourselves, you guys are in a no-worser spot then Essendon.

You guys will come good! Believe. Scotts a good coach. F the haters

I thought after a bit of sleep I'd wake up and feel better, nope, In fact I feel worse. I like how I've lets this club so close to my emotions that it can either make or break a weekend for me.

And yeah, **** the AFL for standing by and letting free kick milkers **** the game. I'd love to be able to hit the AFL with my wallet but then I don't want to hurt the nmfc.

Not sure whether it's worth watching anymore? 3 bullshit free kicks in a row at the end to get them over the line. Honestly, why even bother?

The Black mark that was touched was laughable. You just have to go back and have a giggle at the biased umpiring. Think it's almost time to give up on the game :)

Feel worse this morning.

Days like this i feel like giving up but being part of this great club i just can't do it.

I really don't know what the AFL are trying to do with the game.
The changes they do to the rules is just mind boggling.

I really hate the AFL as a code but i love the kangas.

I certainly am not done as a supporter of North.

However I definitely share some of the sentiments of this thread. I barely watch neutral teams play anymore.

While last night was painful, it's the media saturation and the way the game is being governed by the powers that be that is killing my enjoyment. I honestly can't see how it will change either.

Dirk's comparison to the NBA is an apt one IMO.

What part of my posts where I say the umpiring is shit or we got a bad run in the last 5 or so minutes do you not understand?

However, WE CAN'T CONTROL THAT!

What we can control is icing the game so the crowd doesn't get the umpires worked up into a frenzy. What we can control is picking our best team. What we can control is get to the ball first so we don't have to rely on tackles, kill contests properly. We failed fundamentally across many different areas we had control over and that opened the door for the umpires to influence the result.

That is shit we can control.

Icing it, like a beautiful pass to our best marking and kicking forward right in front to take an unbeatable lead in the last quarter? Wish we'd done that.

You guys got royally f@#ked. So many times u see the cheating basterds call play on in those high contact situations when its instigated. But when the games on the line they call 2 in a row. Afl umpiring is beyond a joke. Im completely unbiased I don't go for u guys and I had both teams in my betting. Don't listen to those posters saying it wasn't their fault those 2 decisions directly caused u to loose and didnt need to be called. Dont be upset with your team they played well. After we lost to richmond I realised doesn't matter how well u play. If the umpires have their own agenda u cant win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umps did not cost us the game - we did. Easy to blame the umps instead of the players. Move on.

Poor fella but why do you sit near these ****faces ?

What the **** are you doing here dickhead? **** off. Ban this prick mods for just showing up here.

You have to roll with it guys. The Freo game has been done to death with the Tigers, and against Geelong we went for 38 minutes without a free kick getting paid to us (which was when Geelong took control). The umpires are confused over interpretation. It's just so technical now.
Your better off not thinking about them.

I haven't been afan of the AFL for years, probably the set up at Edihad was the defining moment for me. near killed our club. But even before that I can honestly say I've never seen more than an half of the ANZAC day match. I didn't realise it was a war fought only by Collingwood and Essendon supporters.Of course that means I was probably on the Turk's side;)

But it's one of the most satisfying reasons to love our boys, we've an us against them mentality, imagine whem he hold the cup aloft again, reckon Andy D will pass blood.

We made more mistakes than them. We need to learn to ice a game.

The game was iced if Black took his marked kick in front of goal. Or if Kennedy didn't get paid the marking contest free on the wing, or if the last Selwood duck was let go as they had been all night. I don't think it was a conspiracy, I think the umpires just panicked a bit. And those decisions cost North the win they had in their hands.

Not saying North didn't make mistakes or that the weren't other reasons. But the final few umpiring decisions were important.

I don't want to watch another game. Unfortunately I know I'll be back. Unfortunately the AFL does too.

Commiserations on last night. I was passionately supporting North and was devastated at the Shuey and Selwood free kicks. Just as disappointing was the fact you could see Naitanui standing off the ball, all alone, for a free run and jump at it. He's one of the best big marks around and would have taken that nine times out of 10.

You guys have been so, so close in three of the hardest games around - Geelong, Hawthorn and West Coast (away). It's pure bad luck that you don't have a win or two from these three games. If there's a silver lining, it's that you can well and truly match it with every team in the league now. You certainly have a list capable of winning a final or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back