News UPDATE: SANFL rescind approval for AFC using state style jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mixed feelings on this.

I do like the idea that we are celebrating OUR heritage, which is being born from the SANFL which is the 10 (Prior to WWT merger) SANFL clubs of 1990. This includes Port Adelaide. That is our heritage. It can not be disputed, and we did not need to take over an SANFL club to claim it. As the SANFL clubs, who are the SANFL gave birth to our club. We hear all about "their" heritage and how they bastardise it to make money. Yes we are bastardising the State jumper as well, with names on it and selling it at a premium. I personally don't like this aspect.

I like the "FU" attitude towards Port in wearing this jumper, coupled with Nige saying "I don't care". This is great, I love how with one action we have them in a tizz. Hearing Kochie crying about it now is gold. AS someone else said, Port have been begging the media for attention all summer and with one release we have generated far more talk and coverage than all their releases all summer.

BUT, I dont like the aspect that this move to AO could have been about our club removing itself from the SANFL. Growing up moving away from West Lakes playing at AO and becoming bigger than the SANFL in a symbolic way. The real way coming when we have the licence change. Wearing this jumper does the complete opposite. I started a thread last year about us swapping the blue for black a la our Indigenous jumper. Crows (apart from our logog) are black afterall. I bought this jumper as I loved it and loved the idea of maybe this becoming our regular jumper. If that was announced today I would be stoked right now.

A new start with a new image at our new home ground would have been awesome.

How is a states guernsey relative to a clubs heritage ?

The media we're being total asses. Aside from a few Port supporters, where is all this so called "controversy"?

Also if the AFL isn't going to roll out State of Origin anymore, why is it such a big deal?

How is a states guernsey relative to a clubs heritage ?

Our club was born out of the SANFL who's players wear the State jumper when representing the SANFL. We are wearing the SANFL jumper to celebrate this heritage.

As I said before I have mixed feeling on it. Is interesting that it seems this issue has caused BF to slow down and "Crows" is trending on Twitter.

Did any of Port's 100 announcements this summer cause such interest?

Honestly, I'm not sure why we're going with the SA jumper. Doesn't represent my team, which is Adelaide. Also strange that half our team are non-SA boys including our two fill in captains!

The Gowans boys have worn the State jumper, they are from Victoria.

Wasn't there an SA team a couple of years ago that only had a couple of SA born players.

We've changed our jumper because we've been denied the right to wear the prison bars strip on a permanent basis.
You changed your jumper because the old one was pathetic, and then decided to rip off an old jumper style that's been around for decades and has even been used in other codes, only to claim later that your new guernsey is 'original' and 'the Crows R copyyng it'. Your tears are delicious.

We've changed our jumper because we've been denied the right to wear the prison bars strip on a permanent basis.

So why did you change to the copy of the state jumper just different colours that the 6 year old copiers?

Economics?

You had a jumper before this one remember.

Port board:
denial-and-the-coming-data-meltdown.jpg

Port fans on twitter:

Port fans on facebook:

Me:
:D

Our club was born out of the SANFL who's players wear the State jumper when representing the SANFL. We are wearing the SANFL jumper to celebrate this heritage.

As I said before I have mixed feeling on it. Is interesting that it seems this issue has caused BF to slow down and "Crows" is trending on Twitter.

Did any of Port's 100 announcements this summer cause such interest?

You represent the State not the SANFL when wearing that states guernsey. The SA state guernsey has nothing to do with a club playing in the AFL.

Rubbish, you knew you couldn't wear it before you joined he comp. You've changed your guernsey more times than you have number of supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything that gets up the nose of Rucci and McDermott makes me happy.

This is not the same as Collingwood, Melbourne or any other Victprian club wearing the Big V - each of those clubs were formed from the area they represented. in 1990, the Adelaide Football Club was formed from the 10 clubs (at that time) and this is to respect that. Port people need to deal with it.

It looks like little brother is having another spat against the big brother.

By the way, is this the same jumper that has been worn by ex-Vics, ex-WAs in the most recent state games. If so, it has already been cheapened!

Agree with all of this except the bold. Unless you're referring to the AFC as the little brother? Because I fail to see why the Crows would want to wear a state guernsey in an away game, that only say 10k Crows supporters can attend, and claim it to be a 'celebration of South Australian football'? Why wouldn't you wait until your first home game? Or even your home Showdown?

The simple fact is, you brought out this jumper as a 'payback' for us hosting the first Showdown. You can see by the responses on this thread that everyone is congratulating the Crows on 'one upping' Port. By the way, McDermott is a ****ing idiot if he thinks that your team wearing a jumper is going to 'overshadow' the first game. Once it starts, Adelaide could be wearing nothing and it wouldn't even register a blip on the radar.

But as Slippery Pete said, all it's done is given Port extra ammunition to beat the living suitcases out of your team. Every South Australian on our list - Monfries, Polec, Ebert, Wingard, Hartlett, Cornes - will be fired up to put the Crows back in their place, and by extension, their teammates will be on board to see it happen. With one fell swoop, you've turned from being the hunter (the team who doesn't have the expectation of a home crowd wanting a Showdown win against the 'enemy') to the hunted (the team who every player at PAFC will be gunning for because hey, you're meant to be representing SA football...you must be better then them...right?)

Great job, Smart. Another one of your Showdown masterstrokes. You were so famous for those, remember?

Yeah and we're the ONLY team in the league merchandising. It's just so unheard of. :rolleyes:

I hate the aspect of paying to put your name on the jumper. I find it crass.

If there are names on the jumper, it should be of the players that represented SA in that jumper. Just like last year Port should only have the names of players who wore their jumper.

You represent the State not the SANFL when wearing that states guernsey. The SA state guernsey has nothing to do with a club playing in the AFL.

So I take it you picket the yearly representative games played between the SANFL, WAFL, Victoria etc?

Agree with all of this except the bold. Unless you're referring to the AFC as the little brother? Because I fail to see why the Crows would want to wear a state guernsey in an away game, that only say 10k Crows supporters can attend, and claim it to be a 'celebration of South Australian football'? Why wouldn't you wait until your first home game? Or even your home Showdown?

The simple fact is, you brought out this jumper as a 'payback' for us hosting the first Showdown. You can see by the responses on this thread that everyone is congratulating the Crows on 'one upping' Port. By the way, McDermott is a ******* idiot if he thinks that your team wearing a jumper is going to 'overshadow' the first game. Once it starts, Adelaide could be wearing nothing and it wouldn't even register a blip on the radar.

But as Slippery Pete said, all it's done is given Port extra ammunition to beat the living suitcases out of your team. Every South Australian on our list - Monfries, Polec, Ebert, Wingard, Hartlett, Cornes - will be fired up to put the Crows back in their place, and by extension, their teammates will be on board to see it happen. With one fell swoop, you've turned from being the hunter (the team who doesn't have the expectation of a home crowd wanting a Showdown win against the 'enemy') to the hunted (the team who every player at PAFC will be gunning for because hey, you're meant to be representing SA football...you must be better then them...right?)

Great job, Smart. Another one of your Showdown masterstrokes. You were so famous for those, remember?

If you guys need this as ammunition to win a game, you're in trouble. Four points should be ammunition enough.

I honestly don't think many of the players will really care. Particularly your non SA players.

How good does it feel to be the cause of some good controversy this time round? Certainly beats last years scandal.

The simple fact is, you brought out this jumper as a 'payback' for us hosting the first Showdown. You can see by the responses on this thread that everyone is congratulating the Crows on 'one upping' Port. By the way, McDermott is a ******* idiot if he thinks that your team wearing a jumper is going to 'overshadow' the first game. Once it starts, Adelaide could be wearing nothing and it wouldn't even register a blip on the radar.

Yeah, no one cares if the power players get really really upset by it. We'll win the game.

And won't that be embarrassing for you? After all the chest beating, and threats you'll get the privilege of watching us celebrate in the State Guernsey in your first home game at the new Adelaide Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back