Autopsy v Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

So as we suspected would happen, the dogs did us over with pace and kicking to space at times. They out worked us.
1. Powell
2. Pink
3. Taylor
4. Phillips
5. Shiel
6. Simpkin

We don't want those six in the same side ever again.

,1. Wardlaw
2. Duursma/Sellers
3. Taylor
4. Phillips
5. McKercher
6. Simpkin
More more evenly balanced imo .

I've never liked Phillips and Powell in the same side for some reason.

Tone was set in the first 2 minutes when Corr grabbed Naughton's jumper on the shoulder and pulled it. Free kick - high tackle.
On Weightman, he kicked 4 v * during a covid elimination final in Tassie.
Humphrey Bogart would have been impressed.
Nah, not quite Hoj, very 1st ball up, Simpkin takes posession, is tackled by the Bont, for 1 second, gets a kick away, and is penalised for holding the ball with clock at 19.55, that was the tone setter for me, and sure enough, 7 free kicks to 1 for the Quarter.

It seemed we went into this one with a negative damage control mindset. Maybe it was due to their near full strength line up. Northball was not to be unleashed in this one, a shame because when it briefly popped out in the final quarter, we looked far better (cue probably in the rack by then?).

Yes Pink & Teakle try their best and are short term stop gap measures, but surely they need to do more to prevent Lobb from looking like Glen Jakovick Mark II in an unfamiliar defensive role.

No doubt Batman LDU needs his Robin George, but is he also carrying an injury? Was it prior to GoDees game he had a scan?

We’ll get ‘em in the rematch in 7 weeks!

Nah, not quite Hoj, very 1st ball up, Simpkin takes posession, is tackled by the Bont, for 1 second, gets a kick away, and is penalised for holding the ball with clock at 19.55, that was the tone setter for me, and sure enough, 7 free kicks to 1 for the
Yep, those early HTB decisions were garbage but it was McDonald getting clean bowled and following up with that weak tackle attempt that resulted in a goal to JUH that erased any hope I had on Saturday

Like ginnivan, He looks for contact and sags at the knees. That one at half forward - - just fell over- hes happy to go to ground and let us get it if he doesnt get the free. Its free or bust.
Hard not to infringe for the tackler but you coach kids to keep their feet. He never does. Drawing frees is his “skill”.
Also, that little skip after he kicks a goal when he should just take it, shrug his shoulders, look sheepish and move on. 🤮🤮🤮🤮 thats why he will be hated for his whole career - even by some dogs fans i know. Embarrassing way to make an afl career.

The carry on after those free kick goals seems to suggest he loves kicking goals he doesn't deserve, and knows it wasn't his ability that led to them. Embarrassing.

sooooo many wasted inside 50s. ignoring the ones that were simply intercepted, their pressure when the ball hits the ground really messed with us. not even 2 seconds to kick a ball! pushing us back and back again outside the 50 until we have to dump kick it back in. They space out so that no matter where you handball there's an opposition player within 2-3m who tackles. when they win it, they're already spaced so are able to run away with it easily. but we can't do the same back.

This is a team that has torched us over the last few years. Given they got their usual umpire handouts (no holding the ball and that grub Weightman playing for frees), I think it shows the group is maturing.

It’s probably the worst we have played for a month and we still managed to hang in the game.

As this group grows I think we get better at shutting down the Dogs weapons. Do that and they become a much easier prospect as they are pretty one dimensional and only hurt you when they can play on their terms.

Last edited:
Not the worst loss or in the top 10,000 worse losses this decade.

Several players such as Xerri, Comben, Dawson, Archer were good. Most battled manfully.

Entire forward setup is a mess. We are somewhat organised defensively and around stoppages compared to first half 2024.

But forward forays are pins in eyes stuff- kick to outnumbers, put it on blokes heads, pass it when we don't need to and of course there's the pick out the opposition defender special. Clean just half of that up and we're winning games.

The dogs are also so agile, we have a lot of flat footers who can't pivot and negate these types. When these flat footers also don't contribute anything offensively, we have a problem.

Taylor not watching play when it was kicked to him was only surpassed by Eddie Ford passing to a vastly inferior set shot option in Bailey Scott as WTF moments today.

For a while it looked like we were about to slide to a customary 70pt'er so I applaud our fight - and finesse at times- to the end.

Don't disagree with the bolded at all but I would also suggest that our forwards are not presenting themselves to the kicker or making space for each other.

I would like to see our forwards moving around more, making repeat leads rather than congregating within 20 meters of each other, calling for the ball to be bombed in long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was really impressed by our under siege defence. They held out so well against a constant bombardment of inside 50's.
I was not impressed with our ball movement. I know that the Dogs structured up quickly and efficiently in defence but it was very rare to see us attempt any risks to open up our offensive play. The long kicks were basically ineffective against a team that was more of a threat in the air.
Kudos to Chom and Xerri who were our best today by far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back