VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if this is widely known? I previously was not aware of such a process in place for the VAFA.
I assume so. We've had to do it a couple of times for the womens this year.

Ever increasing number of senior teams (reserve/unders) having to forfeit especially in the lower grades. Direct impact of covid or are clubs increasingly finding it difficult to field teams. D2 reserves this weekend gone, 3 clubs couldn't field a side.

Surely it's going to get worse as we get closer to seasons end. Interested to see if those at VAFA HQ are looking to address this or create greater flexibility in player registration (a loan system of sorts to allow games to be played).
Long time no speak God Yeah … the match day permit system is in place. However, it is difficult at times to get the players to fill for other clubs. Swinburne Uni helped my boys out a few weeks back to get a second side on the park and it was greatly appreciated.

As a person who has been involved in coaching at premier and district levels I am not sold on the under 23’s comp as a concept. By any means have a thirds / fourths or clubbies team if you are fortunate with numbers. However, time bounding a mandated age limit doesn’t seem right as I can’t recall any other competition having an under 23’s comp. Yes, I get the argument some players want to play with their school mates but isn’t potentially holding clubs back as some better players are playing a lower grade ?

Long time no speak God Yeah … the match day permit system is in place. However, it is difficult at times to get the players to fill for other clubs. Swinburne Uni helped my boys out a few weeks back to get a second side on the park and it was greatly appreciated.

As a person who has been involved in coaching at premier and district levels I am not sold on the under 23’s comp as a concept. By any means have a thirds / fourths or clubbies team if you are fortunate with numbers. However, time bounding a mandated age limit doesn’t seem right as I can’t recall any other competition having an under 23’s comp. Yes, I get the argument some players want to play with their school mates but isn’t potentially holding clubs back as some better players are playing a lower grade ?
Good points, I see the under 23's limit as pointless. My club had 17 players transfer to East Malvern as we were only fielding one thirds team and no under 23 team this year post Covid. The issues are players don't want to play against their mates at another club so they have left the competition completely, which isn't ideal for anyone. Most of those have said they'll return next year post that age limit being not in play anymore.

Good points, I see the under 23's limit as pointless. My club had 17 players transfer to East Malvern as we were only fielding one thirds team and no under 23 team this year post Covid. The issues are players don't want to play against their mates at another club so they have left the competition completely, which isn't ideal for anyone. Most of those have said they'll return next year post that age limit being not in play anymore.
Hasn't done East Malvern any good

How does one go about this? Have been considering coming out of a premature retirement but cannot commit full time. Would be good to be able to put the hand up for a few nearby clubs struggling
You have to be registered to the home club that season but essentially the club goes through the same clearance system but there's a matchday permit option as well.

Unfortunately, we have seen things go in the other direction due to Under 23 and Thirds and no cap on the number of sides clubs can have. As a district club placed in the Ivanhoe area we see many, many kids come through our juniors and then play at their school team at senior level. I believe WE have to take some responsibility for that, no doubt, and continue to work on better strategies to counter the current situation. But in years gone by when Thirds, under 23 and when there was a limit on under 19's teams per club, players who lived in our area were more likely to have a run with us IF they could not make the A grade teams. As such the make up of our team these days is very, very different and our recruitment strategy continues to evolve.

Chump.

Thanks RFS, I've been watching more games than writing about them.

I wasn't aware of the match day permit process and I'm sure a lot of clubs are ringing around on Thursday night and Friday just to see if they have a team for Saturday. This would leave very little time for this process to be activated, easier to pull the pin than co-ordinate with the opposition to transfer some players for a 24 hour window.

Thanks RFS, I've been watching more games than writing about them.

I wasn't aware of the match day permit process and I'm sure a lot of clubs are ringing around on Thursday night and Friday just to see if they have a team for Saturday. This would leave very little time for this process to be activated, easier to pull the pin than co-ordinate with the opposition to transfer some players for a 24 hour window.

The permit scheme is automated to a large degree which reduces the time clubs spend submitting the paperwork.

How does one go about this? Have been considering coming out of a premature retirement but cannot commit full time. Would be good to be able to put the hand up for a few nearby clubs struggling
If you are interested in a game my club Manningham Cobras have fallen short a few times in the reserves and could do with an extra hand this week.

I was saying to an old friend I could not believe my old eyes when I realized there was an under 23 comp this year, how bloody ridiculous.. What is the point? Who does it benefit? Scrap it completely.

And yes, have noticed some clubs in lower divisions struggling to field a reserves.. Time to have clubs nominate for their division if they fit under a certain threshold (under 5 wins for the season). PLayers are less likely to show up for a game if they know they will be getting a beating of 10+ goals

I was saying to an old friend I could not believe my old eyes when I realized there was an under 23 comp this year, how bloody ridiculous.. What is the point? Who does it benefit? Scrap it completely.

And yes, have noticed some clubs in lower divisions struggling to field a reserves.. Time to have clubs nominate for their division if they fit under a certain threshold (under 5 wins for the season). PLayers are less likely to show up for a game if they know they will be getting a beating of 10+ goals
Because APS and other school alumni want to play with their mates and be apart of their old boys club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And in a bombshell announcement tonight, our very own pazza was voted a Life Member of the VAFA Umpires Association.

Congratulations, Pazza, well deserved and couldn't go to a nicer bloke.

His contributions to BigFooty were mentioned as one of the reasons to be made a Life Member; I shall expect my nomination in a year or two! ;)

And in a bombshell announcement tonight, our very own pazza was voted a Life Member of the VAFA Umpires Association.

Congratulations, Pazza, well deserved and couldn't go to a nicer bloke.

His contributions to BigFooty were mentioned as one of the reasons to be made a Life Member; I shall expect my nomination in a year or two! ;)

Thanks mate. What can I say.

Is there anybody on this thread who wasn't or is currently an umpire?
I was for a few years.
Me. I goal umpire for my club when necessary but that's it.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back