VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Never had the pleasure of playing against Fawkner when I played at the OGS chump! Did have a some great games against Hoes though
No disrespect to all those greats from the Oggery, but a very different 'vibe' amongst the group when heading to Toorak Park compared to a Terry Young inspired Fawkner.

The fact you passed the cemetery on the way to their ground added to the anxiety of what was about to take place 😳👊

Chump

Pleasure to umpire any team Save Matthews was coaching / co coaching. Never a bad word towards men in green, also had a lot to do with him in his year at Bull Temp, one of the best coaches going around still yo this day!
Great to see big representation of VAFA hierarchy at the luncheon in honour of Dave Matthew's 650 games, Vaughan Chappel, 300 games and Jules Waras Carstensen 150 games.

No disrespect to all those greats from the Oggery, but a very different 'vibe' amongst the group when heading to Toorak Park compared to a Terry Young inspired Fawkner.

The fact you passed the cemetery on the way to their ground added to the anxiety of what was about to take place 😳👊

Chump
Likewise, never had the pleasure of playing Fawkner. However, I’m led to believe they were choir boys compared to St Pius West Heidelberg and the legendary Coolaroo Rovers (or Pentridge Old Boys as they were also known).

Had a mate playing for another old boys club in the early 80s who recounts a story of playing St Pius at their ground. He was having a day out and had snagged 4 goals by early in the 2nd. His knuckle dragging opponent, who was sporting a full array of tattoos before tattoos became fashionable, advised him that if he kicked one more goal he would be knocked out. Not to be discouraged my mate slotted his 5th soon after. Also not to be discouraged, St Pius defender was true to his word. When my mate finally woke up in the visiting changeroom some time later he declined the coaches offer to go back on and “square up”. I believe St Pius got booted the following season after 3 or 4 eventual years in the VAFA.

Likewise, never had the pleasure of playing Fawkner. However, I’m led to believe they were choir boys compared to St Pius West Heidelberg and the legendary Coolaroo Rovers (or Pentridge Old Boys as they were also known).

Had a mate playing for another old boys club in the early 80s who recounts a story of playing St Pius at their ground. He was having a day out and had snagged 4 goals by early in the 2nd. His knuckle dragging opponent, who was sporting a full array of tattoos before tattoos became fashionable, advised him that if he kicked one more goal he would be knocked out. Not to be discouraged my mate slotted his 5th soon after. Also not to be discouraged, St Pius defender was true to his word. When my mate finally woke up in the visiting changeroom some time later he declined the coaches offer to go back on and “square up”. I believe St Pius got booted the following season after 3 or 4 eventual years in the VAFA.

As an East Preston boy (before it was fashionable), so funny to think about Olympic Village boys running around in the VAFA! (Not your mate getting snotted though)

As an East Preston boy (before it was fashionable), so funny to think about Olympic Village boys running around in the VAFA! (Not your mate getting snotted though)
Well he was given fair warning :D. I guess I was fortunate that my playing days were spent while we were a strong team in the top grades. The footy was tough but rarely, if ever terrifying. l had mates I grew up with who played at other clubs who floated around the middle grades. They recounted horror stories of the Wayne Bannister led Alphington, the Reservoir Old Boys, Fawkner, Thomastown etc. Sometimes timing is everything.

Well he was given fair warning :D. I guess I was fortunate that my playing days were spent while we were a strong team in the top grades. The footy was tough but rarely, if ever terrifying. l had mates I grew up with who played at other clubs who floated around the middle grades. They recounted horror stories of the Wayne Bannister led Alphington, the Reservoir Old Boys, Fawkner, Thomastown etc. Sometimes timing is everything.

I'm a fair whack younger and still heard plenty of Banno related horror stories. Bugger that!

What's going down at VAFA HQ?

Two instances of extreme violence in Div 3 (Richmond) and last weekend for Div 4. Div 3 suspension after a number of weeks. The div 4 suspension hasn't been released (which is concerning) and seen numerous reports of violence from the club in question (Masala). Where is there statement against violence?

MCC played and won their women's grand final yesterday. Interesting that I assume the girl in question from the above VAFa statement had a film crew with her after the match. I'm sure that would have pleased a few at HQ

MCC played and won their women's grand final yesterday. Interesting that I assume the girl in question from the above VAFa statement had a film crew with her after the match. I'm sure that would have pleased a few at HQ
It was one of the stronger comments out of VAFA house.

Max “innocent until proven otherwise” Leader

Some brainstorming has provided me with a bit of a list of the worst places to play footy in the VAFA as an away team. In no particular order I have come up with
Whitefriars
Richmond centrals
Therry penola
Aquinas
Williamstown cyms
fawkner
Yarra valley
st mary’s salesian
st. john’s

Am I far off the mark here?

Just ask the umpires. the list would be very detailed indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Manningham announced special general meeting to merge with Yarra Valley Old Boys and move to Bulleen

As we approach the final round of the 2022 season, which has been a very difficult one for the club we have the following announcement regarding our great club moving forward.

From Secretary Noel Bullen

We all know what a difficult season this has been and the Committee is determined not to be in the same situation going forward. We were approached by Yarra Old Grammarians to merge our Clubs and, after much consideration, including a number of face-to-face meetings, we believe the best outcome is to proceed with a merger.

Immediate advantages are:

1. Continue to play at Koonung Park
2. Improved playing list, both in standard & size
3. Increased administrative resources
4. Both Clubs financially sound so even greater financial strength

We believe the future for the new Club is bright. Jointly, and separately, we have put plans in place to look at the recruitment of new players in 2023.

We believe the Cobras will be a great place to play next season and hope that all of our current players join us in the next exciting chapter of the club. We will be in touch with all of you to reiterate how important you are to us, both on and off the field. We appreciate the fight you have shown this season to keep us alive.

We will be conducting a Q&A at training tomorrow night and we encourage as many of you as possible to be in attendance for that.

As we enter the final round/s for season 2022 it's a great opportunity to give back something to the club that you support of follow. While I know a lot on this forum/s are very active in their clubs, as they would know many hands make light work.

So if you are at a game this weekend or next, say thanks to a volunteer, buy them a cold drink in appreciation of their hard work. Say thanks to the club appointed 2's/3's umpire, take a few empty's off the table on your way to the bin, take off the goal post padding post match or bring someone not associated with the club along with you these weekends that might generate a little extra coin over the bar/canteen.

All clubs rely heavily on the volunteers and the best way to have them coming back is to say thanks.

It would be a much shorter list to name the grounds with decent umpires rooms 😉
I always liked umpiring at Prahrans ground, had a couch, armchair and classic old shower head that was always hot!
North Old Boys had to go through teams change rooms to get to umpire rooms (daunting depending on the results)
Old Carey & Fitzroy under grandstands

My least favourite would be the Trinity broom closet, prior to that it would be the humpy out the back of Uni before redevelopment. At least Trinity is clean, sweeping the possum and rat shit off the benches and wall framing at Pine Lodge ranked right up there.

My least favourite would be the Trinity broom closet, prior to that it would be the humpy out the back of Uni before redevelopment. At least Trinity is clean, sweeping the possum and rat s**t off the benches and wall framing at Pine Lodge ranked right up there.
What about the old Camberwell rooms

I always liked umpiring at Prahrans ground, had a couch, armchair and classic old shower head that was always hot!
North Old Boys had to go through teams change rooms to get to umpire rooms (daunting depending on the results)
Old Carey & Fitzroy under grandstands

Toorak Park? Great rooms.

Uni now are amazing, EP is pretty good.

Trinity are shocking, Old Brighton no better.

Fitzroy has improved slightly.

Not a fan of Ajax and other grounds which have 2 barely half sized rooms, would be ok if they could be one large room and closed off if needed. Think St Leo’s is like that now?

Monash is awesome nowadays. Umpires rooms are first class.

Forgot Monash, my other favourite. Even the old rooms were fantastic, can’t complain about rooms big enough for a cricket team!!!

I may have done one game there 15 years ago, but I can't remember

Ajax was great a few weeks ago, not sure if we were given a spare players room.
Old Camberwell had a decent sized rooms, was a storage shed behind the goals from memory. Haven’t seen the new ones though.

I see Ajax are playing at a different ground these days, can’t say I ever umpired at their current ground.

Under 19 game tonight at Glen Eira. 3 field, 4 boundary and 2 goal umps supplied. Lucky we have two umpires change rooms.

Yeah, I saw that on the spreadsheet this morning and half raised a quizzical eyebrow. Must be an important game or they are trialling ump matchups.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back