VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

A few comments about teams having issues with player numbers, being low.
I think it will be the opposite
1. August to September - much better than June and July weather
2. A short season with only 9 games - perfect for so many players that start but get sick footy after 10 weeks
3. Lots of other comps cancelled

IMO the issue for the Ammos teams could be an influx of too many players

2. A short season with only 9 games - perfect for so many players that start but get sick footy after 10 weeks

You might be into something here. Perhaps we should recast local footy completely and run the season for 9 weeks in August-September every year if that means players who can’t hack more than 10 weeks decide to play.

A few comments about teams having issues with player numbers, being low.
I think it will be the opposite
1. August to September - much better than June and July weather
3. Lots of other comps cancelled

IMO the issue for the Ammos teams could be an influx of too many players

Also no midseason overseas holidays!

You might be into something here. Perhaps we should recast local footy completely and run the season for 9 weeks in August-September every year if that means players who can’t hack more than 10 weeks decide to play.
People who have been unable to go to gym or play other sport for last few months may jump at the opportunity of a 9 week season this year. Naturally some existing players will miss as they will now work Saturdays and not want to jeopardise their jobs when unemployment is so high.

Interesting....VAFA is partnering with the Australian Sports Foundation for a 'Call To Arms' in an attempt to raise $25,000, in a "Survival Fund", by EOFY.
I rust read the project blurb. Some emotive language here such as “ We are establishing a Survival Fund which will provide crucial assistance to ensure the survival of the VAFA and our clubs” While I know plenty of clubs will be doing it tough, is the VAFA seriously in peril of not coming through this?

I would happily kick in $ for any club that is genuinely on its last legs but the VAFA can GGF. For years clubs and VAFA followers have screamed the house down about ridiculous overseas junkets, meaningless rep games, employees on the drip and other extravagances. They have robbed clubs blind for years with ridiculous fines and other levies and now they cry poor. Give me a spell.

In fairness to Bear Connell this culture of waste was primarily orchestrated under Sholly so I don’t blame the current chief. Changing culture can take a while and I am sure he is doing what he can to tighten the belt.

Community transmission cases of Covid have soared in the past two days which is worrying. Fingers crossed it's not the start of a second wave given we are so close to being able to go ahead with footy.

How can you say soared when most are those returned from OS !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot of the new non return-traveller cases are community transmission and in comparison to previous weeks where we had basically no community transmission and only links to known clusters and returned travellers, I'd say to have 8 in two days is worrying.

A lot of the new non return-traveller cases are community transmission and in comparison to previous weeks where we had basically no community transmission and only links to known clusters and returned travellers, I'd say to have 8 in two days is worrying.
Lets just stop talking crap. Covid infections are just an excuse not to play. The real reason is money. If the infections were so much of a worry, why are the EFL and the NFNL have their juniors play. Now the NFNL league are looking at a night round robin for those whose league is not playing in 2020. So much for infection rates stopping the football.

Max "Money Money Money" Leader

Let’s not forget community transmission is when they don’t know the source. This could be because people lie about their movements or who they’ve been visiting.

Most people who attend the protests wont admit to having been there. There will be people who have visited people with the virus and not admit it.

The app is mostly about the fact people can’t be trusted, but those who want to lie are the ones who won’t download it. I wonder if the app will be compulsory for football?

Lets just stop talking crap. Covid infections are just an excuse not to play. The real reason is money. If the infections were so much of a worry, why are the EFL and the NFNL have their juniors play. Now the NFNL league are looking at a night round robin for those whose league is not playing in 2020. So much for infection rates stopping the football.

Max "Money Money Money" Leader

Covid infections are the reason the higher ups (Vic Gov) may have to toughen restrictions again and make playing football in 2020 impossible. Not saying it will happen, and I absolutely do not want hat (I am firmly in the "play footy" camp). I just get concerned about rises in new daily cases as other places in the world have seen second waves of the virus, which would be devastating here.

I agree that the reason other leagues are dropping off is 100% money. However, I don't think they've indicated otherwise, have they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Covid infections are the reason the higher ups (Vic Gov) may have to toughen restrictions again and make playing football in 2020 impossible. Not saying it will happen, and I absolutely do not want hat (I am firmly in the "play footy" camp). I just get concerned about rises in new daily cases as other places in the world have seen second waves of the virus, which would be devastating here.

I agree that the reason other leagues are dropping off is 100% money. However, I don't think they've indicated otherwise, have they?
Surely the root cause is Covid and its consequences one of which is the usual revenue sources for clubs have all but dried up?

Surely the root cause is Covid and its consequences one of which is the usual revenue sources for clubs have all but dried up?

I think that's what Maxy was saying - it was a money decision not a health and safety decision. From reading the NFNL's cancellation statement the decision was made to "protect players, coaches, volunteers...et al during the COVID-19 pandemic" but other driving factors were listed, such as the fiscal burden, additional requirements of volunteers, inability to control crowds' social distancing etc.

My understanding from what I have been told (Or heard second hand) from club land was that the absolute driving factor was money. Club's did not believe they could operate without their regular gate takings and bar sales. A few, from what I could gather, were also against the prospect of having to have volunteers enforce social distancing within crowds if required. I honestly don't know how much work was done within the league/clubs to try and come up with solutions to these issues, but at a superficial level it doesn't look like they did much....

SEN Garry and Tim reported this morning that the Mornington Peninsula League would be re commencing July 25.. also hearing mail that the EDFL on reduced player payments overheads will be re commencing Aug 1

EDFL recommencement interesting one for PEGS who have a heap of ex jets playing for Strathmore Abers Keilor etc. and massive school talent playing u19s for those clubs.

What if we speak to Cricket Vic and shift footy to
SEN Garry and Tim reported this morning that the Mornington Peninsula League would be re commencing July 25.. also hearing mail that the EDFL on reduced player payments overheads will be re commencing Aug 1

EDFL recommencement interesting one for PEGS who have a heap of ex jets playing for Strathmore Abers Keilor etc. and massive school talent playing u19s for those clubs.

Also hearing from several friends at NFNL clubs that the discussion around 'reduced cap' for EDFL is an absolute farce ..........brown paper bags galore happening with some of the players heading there for 9 game deals that are significant!

Chump

Hi sorry if I'm in the wrong board. Long story short I've never played footy before, migrant background etc. Getting into my late 20s now and it feels like now or never, and COVID is driving me to try new things and take risks? How do I know which clubs are begginer friendly etc, maybe VAFA clubs aren't the place for me? I'm in Melbourne's eastern suburbs if anyone knows anything, I understand that the normal league here isn't running but I don't know anything about local football.

Thank you in advance.

Hi sorry if I'm in the wrong board. Long story short I've never played footy before, migrant background etc. Getting into my late 20s now and it feels like now or never, and COVID is driving me to try new things and take risks? How do I know which clubs are begginer friendly etc, maybe VAFA clubs aren't the place for me? I'm in Melbourne's eastern suburbs if anyone knows anything, I understand that the normal league here isn't running but I don't know anything about local football.

Thank you in advance.

If you're in the eastern suburbs you've got the choice of Box Hill Nth or Eley Park. Both in Box Hill area. Check Facebook to check training nights, turn up and introduce yourself to the coach and just get amongst it. You'll be fine, clubs are always looking for new players!

Let's just stop talking crap. COVID infections are just an excuse not to play. The real reason is money
and Volunteer time
Totally agree Max, hate the standard rollout of "the health and safety is our highest priority....." It money and volunteer capacity, which are real and acceptable problems. Clubs that don't want to play just need to more honest.

Lower Divisions of the EDFL starting July 25. May have an impact on Therry Penola given that next door at Oak Park are playing and the close relationship between the 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back