A Section VAFA Premier 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pumped. The 2 little sausage rolls for $5 are an absolute treat. Get in early today before they sell out like yesterday.
Very excited

Pumped. The 2 little sausage rolls for $5 are an absolute treat. Get in early today before they sell out like yesterday.
Very excited
Very slow service 2 weeks ago , at least the Dimmies are back to a normal price . What about a couple of frothies at the Wick pre match, would be great to catch up.

Very slow service 2 weeks ago , at least the Dimmies are back to a normal price . What about a couple of frothies at the Wick pre match, would be great to catch up.

I will have to say no to that kind invitation. I fear that your surprise when we met may cause a little too much agitation further down the line.
Best i keep my coat collar firmly up today and happily continue the bigfooty banter where you all know me as the Hippster.
Hip Hip Hooray and lets all have a great day!
Play on..

I will have to say no to that kind invitation. I fear that your surprise when we met may cause a little too much agitation further down the line.
Best i keep my coat collar firmly up today and happily continue the bigfooty banter where you all know me as the Hippster.
Hip Hip Hooray and lets all have a great day!
Play on..
I think I can cope with a little bit of agitation down the line , very seasoned on that stuff. Looking forward to great game , have to go for the micks over the overpaid coaching staff of the Prodies.

Love the optimism but can’t see many from section 3 Thirds or from what is essentially the 3rd tier of U19s (after 19 premier and premier reserve) adding much by way of depth to compete in premier section. Finishing 4th in B grade reserve does not really inspire either. Whether we like it or not if they are to succeed in the top-grade Carey will rely on more of the same – i.e. recruiting players straight out of AFL and VFL ranks. Anyone who thinks the performance of their 2s, 3s and 19s this year will sustain them in Premier is delusional.

Bernies much better placed and already have 'A' grade depth. Multiple 3rds and multiple unders teams with at least one of each in the top division of their respective competitions. Their 19 Premier team are always thereabouts and while their 2s went out in straight sets, they did finish on top. From memory the Bernies ressies always seem to give a good account of themselves in A grade
This is not to say Carey can't compete next year, just that they have a fair bit more work to do at this stage than St Bernards.
From what I hear most of the Bernard's u19 premier side are still eligible to play that grade next season as well. They missed out on finals by percentage and when you consider that over half the team were playing two games a week (school and Saturday) they did really well.

This.
Will be back up top again.
Great kids coming through.
Will have 4-5 boom recruits.
The premiership drought (haven’t won one since way back in 2016 Lance Whitnall) will end in next year or two.

So which one will it be Hippster? The great kids or the boom recruits ? I think we all know it will be the later. While a couple of unders got a handful of senior games, Xavs will stick to their philosophy of recruiting older blokes out of the AFL, VFL. EFL or other leagues rather than promoting their juniors. Has worked for them in the past so let’s not kid ourselves that improvements will come from internal development.

I actually agree with CC’s earlier post suggesting that 19s prem is not what it once was. My club had 5 or 6 U19s play seniors every week and never looked like setting foot in an U19 game all season. Our Premier 19s team finished 3rd but there would be one maybe two players from that team capable of playing senior football in 2019. The reality is that good 18 and 19 years old play seniors and the gulf between 19s/ reserves and seniors has never been bigger. So while it is great for depth it is no longer a true indicator of future success.

So which one will it be Hippster? The great kids or the boom recruits ? I think we all know it will be the later. While a couple of unders got a handful of senior games, Xavs will stick to their philosophy of recruiting older blokes out of the AFL, VFL. EFL or other leagues rather than promoting their juniors. Has worked for them in the past so let’s not kid ourselves that improvements will come from internal development.

I actually agree with CC’s earlier post suggesting that 19s prem is not what it once was. My club had 5 or 6 U19s play seniors every week and never looked like setting foot in an U19 game all season. Our Premier 19s team finished 3rd but there would be one maybe two players from that team capable of playing senior football in 2019. The reality is that good 18 and 19 years old play seniors and the gulf between 19s/ reserves and seniors has never been bigger. So while it is great for depth it is no longer a true indicator of future success.

Agree that there is no questioning the success over recent times of the Xavs strong recruiting policy. It’s been a big focus to bring people in and be an inclusive club. The more the merrier approach. However I’m hearing that the young group coming through are pretty spesh. I think a double barreled approach may be on here..
I guess a lot will depend on what really matters with the satters.
Anyhows, the youngsters flags have given all a real lift and kick along.
2019 is certainly greatly anticipated I’m being told....

Well folks what an incredible end to an entertaining season. That was some game. SKOB brilliant in going back to back, they have such exciting players to watch, Kanakis and Jok are out and out superstars, Wood, Sullivan and Lynch the brute power of the team. That very young backline just hung in there didn't they.

Collegians incredibly brave in defeat once again, though it could be a long summer for a few that missed some sitters, including the play on advantage effort in Q4. Ferguson is a star and should hold his head very high.

Only knock on the game, thought the umps had a shocker unfortunately. Some absolute howlers that could have cost SKOB the game.

For now, time to enjoy a beer and celebrate A Grade champions back to back.

Observed the game from the hill on the scoreboard side of the VAFAUA citadel with other luminaries of the whistle. Lived up to all expectations, Collegians will live to rue and lament a couple of missed opportunities in the last, either of which would have resulted in a draw. Umpiring was even, consistent and excellent throughout the game. There were a couple of missed calls but that's easy picking them from on high and not the other side of a pack at ground level, and in the opinion of the cognoscenti all did very well indeed. Sorry Flanker! Agree with everything else you said though.

What a cracker!!
Feel for Wesley. 2 years in a row they have come up just short. Yes, some easy opportunities mised, but SKOB were great. Got it done early when it mattered. How good was Kanakis in the 2nd.
Two champion teams!!
Umpiring was first class. I had no preference to who won, was just looking for a quality game (which I got) so hardly noticed the umpires. It’s human nature for supporters of one team to think they did a bad job and favoured the other team. This is the reason umps get a bad rap. VAFA Premier umps are brilliant.
Well done SKOB, bad luck Wesley...
Bring on 2019!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was played like an AFL game with players all at one end , but still great to watch. I really thought SKOBS should have been well in front , but they stopped and full credit to Wesley for the comeback. That free that should have gone to the winners for holding the ball late in the game, could have been costly , as Colls went down and kicked one, get rid of the 3 umps , does not work and with all players down one end the extra is not needed at this level we are not the AFL. The canteen is a joke , takes too long and there should be other alternatives and there was , but that run out early. Anyhow great season FTLOTG.

What a cracker!!
Feel for Wesley. 2 years in a row they have come up just short. Yes, some easy opportunities mised, but SKOB were great. Got it done early when it mattered. How good was Kanakis in the 2nd.
Two champion teams!!
Umpiring was first class. I had no preference to who won, was just looking for a quality game (which I got) so hardly noticed the umpires. It’s human nature for supporters of one team to think they did a bad job and favoured the other team. This is the reason umps get a bad rap. VAFA Premier umps are brilliant.
Well done SKOB, bad luck Wesley...
Bring on 2019!

Boy oh boy.. is that brett connell?

The holding the ball in the skob goalsquAre not paid with 5 minutes to go was plain awful... watch the tape.

If only the Premiership was won the first time teams played each other for the season, Collegians would be back to back...they certainly celebrated it both years that way.

Amazing effort looking at the stats for SKOB, 47 players used for the year, only 12 from last years flag played today, and 5 under 19's in the team with 10 players 21 and under. Quite remarkable really.

If only the Premiership was won the first time teams played each other for the season, Collegians would be back to back...they certainly celebrated it both years that way.

Amazing effort looking at the stats for SKOB, 47 players used for the year, only 12 from last years flag played today, and 5 under 19's in the team with 10 players 21 and under. Quite remarkable really.
Stats according to Guy Martyn tonight was 7 under 19 players and 12 aged 21 and under. Would have to be the youngest premiership team since Marcellin all those years ago.

Anyway, well done to both SKOB and Collegians on an evenly fought season, remembering both clubs were in a relegation battle in 2016.

Next season promises to be a great one with several teams lining up to try to stop SKOB winning three in a row.

Stats according to Guy Martyn tonight was 7 under 19 players and 12 aged 21 and under. Would have to be the youngest premiership team since Marcellin all those years ago.

Anyway, well done to both SKOB and Collegians on an evenly fought season, remembering both clubs were in a relegation battle in 2016.

Next season promises to be a great one with several teams lining up to try to stop SKOB winning three in a row.

If thats all true Dougy, they are incredible numbers...so much for skobafl!

I was by your rooms as the players came out after half time and I couldn't believe how young they were ,maybe it's more Wesleyafl.

We are mates? News to me dougy boy!
Loving Mad Monday Chaos, regarding us being friends, we aren’t as close as Hippster and Hedge Fund but isn’t life great when SKOB win back to back Premier flags.

The forum has certainly gone quiet! Three flags in four years, what a fun time to be a VAFA lover.

Looking forward to the St Bernards boys heading back to Premier next year, what are the chances of an all Catholic final four lock out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back