A Section VAFA Premier 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A huge crowd expected at the Bell tomorrow, not only the relegation battle (can't remember the last winner take all match) but also respected ammo footballer Jacob Gotch is hanging up the boots after 240+ games in the VAFA. Well played Jake, a very good career and a very well respected player within the VAFA ranks.

A huge crowd expected at the Bell tomorrow, not only the relegation battle (can't remember the last winner take all match) but also respected ammo footballer Jacob Gotch is hanging up the boots after 240+ games in the VAFA. Well played Jake, a very good career and a very well respected player within the VAFA ranks.

Scotch v Xavs about 5 years ago maybe?

Brighton - by more than 70
Blues - by more than 50
SKOBS - by more than 80 (coach Riley's last game, but the Bernards players have put the cue in the rack and will be in Prem B in 2021)
Xavs - by 12 (just as I would like OB to make the finals - they can then beat Xavs in a 1st semi)
Trinity - by 24

Definitely well respected.

Just had a facebook memory pop up in my feed, 9 years ago today I was at the Bell for a D2 semi. I called in at my home club Westbourne on the Thursday night and gave the coaching staff full details of the ground and how to play the slope and avoid the mud pit on the 45, plus a condition report as I'd umpired the R17 De La home game a few days before. Either the coaches studiously ignored me or the players didn't listen to instructions, because they did none of what I'd suggested and got comprehensively thumped by Parade.

Brighton - by more than 70
Blues - by more than 50
SKOBS - by more than 80 (coach Riley's last game, but the Bernards players have put the cue in the rack and will be in Prem B in 2021)
Xavs - by 12 (just as I would like OB to make the finals - they can then beat Xavs in a 1st semi)
Trinity - by 24

Do you mean beat SkobAFL in first semi?

Well after a 14 year stint in the top flight, we bid farewell to A grade. De La were outplayed after qtr time today by the boys from Trinity. Trinity had the better structures and finished off well in front of goal. Their willingness to work hard into the wind ultimately resulted in them winning the game.

De La will rue the missed opportunities in front of goal, especially in the 2nd term.

Being able to cheer Jake Gotch off the ground post siren the only highlight in a very dark day for the boys from the Bell.

The hardest thing to do is bounce back, as we know we have seen many a team disappear for good. I doubt that will be the case but I'm looking forward to getting out the Melway in 2020 to look up some grounds I've not been too in many a year.

Best of luck to the final 4, Gil's boys from Parkville to get the chocolates for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, as threatened I did turn up to watch De La Salle today, really good game until the last quarter when all the drive and enthusiasm seemed to leave the De La boys even though there was only 20 points in it. Trinity eased off but even with a couple of cheap goals De La were never in with a real chance. OT just played better and lasted longer. Kicking inaccuracy will be a "shoulda coulda" that they can reflect on next year in B.

Good moment seeing Jake Gotch chaired from the ground.

Ferguson and Boucher coming back in might have a bit to say about that on Saturday FF.....keep the faith....OX as good as their season has been have been suspect against the top sides this year....since they thrashed Old Brighton in Round 5 here is their record against the other top sides...

Round 6 v Uni Blues - Lost by 35 Points (were down by as much as 60 in the 3rd quarter)
Round 8 v Collegians - Won by 15 Points (were down by 28 Points late in the 3rd quarter)
Round 12 v SKOB - Lost by 40 Points (were down by as much as 70 in the 3rd quarter)
Round 13 v Uni Blues - Lost by 63 points
Round 17 v Old Brighton - Lost by 60 points (were down by as much as 100 points in the 3rd quarter)

They've got nothing to play for again this weekend....Bewick hasn't played since Rd 14....Hams coming off a concussion two weeks ago....will they even play this weekend? They'll probably rest a couple of others as well...Going to be close you would think...The Lions do have a hoodoo at Toorak Park though....lost their last six out there....!
Told you to keep the faith FF! Boucher and Ferguson the difference coming in with six between them for the Lions...

Well done to Trinity yesterday. A bit better on the day and to be fair the % difference suggests they were better over the course of the season. Also had 2 draws against good sides so were maybe unlucky to be in this position anyway.

Going from 3.1 at one point to 3.18 suggests we got what we deserved and that sort of finishing is not of ‘A’ grade quality. Glad to see the curtain come down on a very tough year. Without counting I would suggest the seniors would have used between 45 – 50 players. And it was not due to quality VFL players coming in and out – it was injury, form, travel etc. Obviously we don’t bat that deep and the results showed. However very optimistic about next year. If we can keep this group and get anywhere near our best side we will be a real handful in B grade. Our ressies are solid and U19 Premier are playing a final today.

Will now get to find out first-hand how being out of premier impacts on recruitment and retention. Mind you are recruitment outside the school has been minimal anyway. Not through lack of trying, just other clubs with better networks who do this stuff really well.

I wish them well but fear Trinity might be back in this position in 12 month’s time. No depth and an over reliance on the veterans who have sustained them for years. They will be a year older and the comp just keeps getting better.

On another note credit to the umpires yesterday, Big crowd, big occasion and they were easily the best I have seen this year. Let the game flow, just paid what was there and were consistent. Should be more of it.

Blues clearly the most talented team but my pre-season tip for the flag was SKOB and I’m sticking with it. Forget yesterday’s results. They know how to get it done and play as a team rather than a group of individuals.

Last edited:
Well done to Wesley yesterday. I like them a lot. Couple of big finals next week. Throw form out the door. It’s starts now. Big.

Congrats to Jarrad Waite on winning the goal kicking. All reports suggest a great man around SKOBAFL, from only 14 games as well.

Updated Woodrow Top 3

Nick Pavlou (OB)
Ayce Cordy (UNIAFL)
Gus Borthwick (OMs)

Way-Too-Early Flag Tip: OXAFL

OXAFL d UNIAFL
SKOBAFL d COLLEGIANS

SKOBAFL d UNIAFL

OXAFL d SKOBAFL

BOG: T GILBERT (OXAFL)

45 /

Coming into finals Skobs and Xavs losing more than they are winning...Form and momentum are wonderful things...
Resting players (not saying they are) unless sore is not desirable. Xavs wont win it.

They get Bewick, Hams and C Margin back this weekend though...they're massive ins....they played good footy in the 2nd half on Saturday...they'd take that as a positive going into Saturday...Jason Holmes going overseas for a wedding though is an absolute disaster! Memories of Will Johnson last year who did the same thing on 2nd Semi Final weekend!

Thanks to OTP for the excellent prize and plaque! Thanks too for organising and updating each and every week. Must say I was a bit nervous as I was at Marcellin and heard the roar from the crowd as Carey kicked their 12th goal, I checked the Prem A scores to see I was on track to get ZERO! So well done to Hippster who almost pulled off a great last gasp comeback. BUT I will happily claim the prize and bragging rights as Prem A & C tipping champ (albeit a complete fluke). Not bad for someone who hasn’t watched a Prem A game for a few years.
Good fun Finals series ahead no doubt. Good luck to those involved.
Cheers All!

Last edited:
Well done to Trinity yesterday. A bit better on the day and to be fair the % difference suggests they were better over the course of the season. Also had 2 draws against good sides so were maybe unlucky to be in this position anyway.

Going from 3.1 at one point to 3.18 suggests we got what we deserved and that sort of finishing is not of ‘A’ grade quality. Glad to see the curtain come down on a very tough year. Without counting I would suggest the seniors would have used between 45 – 50 players. And it was not due to quality VFL players coming in and out – it was injury, form, travel etc. Obviously we don’t bat that deep and the results showed. However very optimistic about next year. If we can keep this group and get anywhere near our best side we will be a real handful in B grade. Our ressies are solid and U19 Premier are playing a final today.

Will now get to find out first-hand how being out of premier impacts on recruitment and retention. Mind you are recruitment outside the school has been minimal anyway. Not through lack of trying, just other clubs with better networks who do this stuff really well.

I wish them well but fear Trinity might be back in this position in 12 month’s time. No depth and an over reliance on the veterans who have sustained them for years. They will be a year older and the comp just keeps getting better.

On another note credit to the umpires yesterday, Big crowd, big occasion and they were easily the best I have seen this year. Let the game flow, just paid what was there and were consistent. Should be more of it.

Blues clearly the most talented team but my pre-season tip for the flag was SKOB and I’m sticking with it. Forget yesterday’s results. They know how to get it done and play as a team rather than a group of individuals.

JJ I came down and watched the second half on Saturday. I must say I was surprised De La insisted on kicking long to the dead pocket in front of the scoreboard when they had the breeze in the 3rd, as opposed to Trinity who looked to go more corridor/clubrooms side. Would've been frustrating to be a De La supporter given the amount of missed chances. Thought De La looked far more dangerous kicking into the breeze, however. At the end of the day, as they say, "bad kicking is bad football". Anyway it was a terrific crowd and a nice day for footy, albeit windy, and the best team on the day probably still won. All the best for next year!

JJ I came down and watched the second half on Saturday. I must say I was surprised De La insisted on kicking long to the dead pocket in front of the scoreboard when they had the breeze in the 3rd, as opposed to Trinity who looked to go more corridor/clubrooms side. Would've been frustrating to be a De La supporter given the amount of missed chances. Thought De La looked far more dangerous kicking into the breeze, however. At the end of the day, as they say, "bad kicking is bad football". Anyway it was a terrific crowd and a nice day for footy, albeit windy, and the best team on the day probably still won. All the best for next year!

Cheers WH. A very good summation. Perhaps a sense of panic set in and we did tend to bomb it in and get stuck in that pocket a fair bit. However no excuse for the finishing which was deplorable. As per my previous post % suggest Trinity better over the course of the year and they deserved to stay up. They do need better depth and some new faces as the vets (while fantastic players) will be a year older. They are well coached and are a resilient club so hope they do well.

One thing we don’t lack is support and they turned out in droves on Saturday. I said a while back that it won’t be long before Premier is all APS and Melbourne Uni clubs. With 2 of either Scotch, Caulfield or Blacks to come up that time is getting closer. The ‘outriders’ this year (DLS, Bernie’s and OT) all finished in the bottom half. Two survive but for how long? Bagman already has Bernies pegged for B grade in 2021 and I don’t much like Trinity’s chances next year either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back