VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t see the game because the stream was f*cked. But if Mannagh didn’t play mid, how did he get 6 clearances in the first half?
He was around stoppages in the forward half. Genuinely quite exciting how he moves around and through stoppages, combined with Parfitt and Stanley he was very dangerous.

I've just watched the first half and I don't really understand all the talk of Mannagh as a midfielder. He's having a huge game but it's as a high half forward playing the same role Close and Miers play in the seniors. He hasn't attended a centre bounce.

Clearly on today's performance he's bashing the door down. But it's still tricky to squeeze all of Mannagh, Miers, Close, Stengle and Dempsey in the team. We can rejig the team but there's no way he's going to play midfield at AFL level when he's not playing there at VFL level.

When a guy has a game like that you just find a spot for him. He could play a variety of roles rotating from wing through to FP. With 4 on the bench there's no excuse to not get him in off the back of that performance.

Last edited:

GC were very sharp in their assessment on not caring about giving up a top 10 pick in that draft. None of the players taken around there are pulling up trees.
I wouldn't go that early. It's their second year.

Wardlaw & Sheezel the only stars so far, the rest will come with time, somewhere around year 3-5.

After that you can go all in on assessment.

I do wish people would stop criticizing and expecting more from Jhye.
He is 19 years old, light framed and playing inside mid in what is considered by most of the same people the worst midfield in the comp.
the club clearly see him differently hence why the continue to play him.
they are also looking after him with limited mins

everyone raves about Harley and rightfully so he is a Jet(i am not saying they are similar or Jhye is as good)

Harley is averaging 18 disposals/ 3.75 tackles /.6 goals from 78.8% game time
Jhye is averaging 11.5 disposals / 2.9 Tackles /.15 goals from 55.9% game time

Joels 2007 year 19.2 disposals / 4.5 tackles /.3 goals from 68.6% game time.
2007 cats Midfield was elite

yes Jhye didnt have the best game against the Dons but the rest have been pretty good

the guy will be a special player for us and is contributing as should be expected

give him time and enjoy watching him develop.

Don't necessarily disagree, but do think Scott has been slow to implement change this season.

Finally brought Knevitt and Humphries in last night, and look what happened.

There's also a good argument that Mannagh would be an upgrade on Clark atm, even Close.
Knevitt has been incredibly poor most of the season and struggled his pre season matches, humphries didnt get a look because oasin was given the tick first. I foubt he loses his spot now he is in and after that first game.

Knevitt has been incredibly poor most of the season and struggled his pre season matches, humphries didnt get a look because oasin was given the tick first. I foubt he loses his spot now he is in and after that first game.
I have watched every game (VFL) but must be watching different ones to you?

More likely I value different things to you. He has been building for a long time now in the VFL and now doing exactly what the coaches want - hence the move into AFL team. He will never be a flashy player - just not what he is. But he will always test the opposition with his tank and height and eventually will be a very handy inside mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Has been poor in the VFL before hitting a patch of good form over the last couple of games.

Side note - that "we totally messed up taking Clark over Phillipou" argument seems to have gone a bit quiet
I'd be happy to make some more noise. Phillipou looked very good on the weekend. Played like the big bodied mid we need. I watched the game thinking I wish we took him but didn't post about it knowing I'd just be drowned out with criticism.

I'll go back to being quiet.

'incredibly poor'? Harsh.

Neither Knevitt or Humphries should lose their spot this week

I'd be happy to make some more noise. Phillipou looked very good on the weekend. Played like the big bodied mid we need. I watched the game thinking I wish we took him but didn't post about it knowing I'd just be drowned out with criticism.

I'll go back to being quiet.
Hi game on the weekend was better than Clark has played at any level since being drafted.

He is 19 years old, light framed and playing inside mid in what is considered by most of the same people the worst midfield in the comp.

everyone raves about Harley and rightfully so he is a Jet(i am not saying they are similar or Jhye is as good)

yes Jhye didnt have the best game against the Dons but the rest have been pretty good

the guy will be a special player for us and is contributing as should be expected

I take your point on the stats and I haven't actually been too vocal about Clark but I was concerned about him before we drafted him. I'm not jumping to criticise on the performances of an immature kid, I just remain concerned.
I think Clark will be okay, he's a competitor but I only think he will ever be okay. It's what I thought at draft time and on VFL/AFL performances I only feel it's further confirmed. It may sound harsh but I just don't see any attributes that may develop or elevate him above others. I'm still holding out, I'm glad we're playing him and I hope to see some things that prove me wrong in being concerned.

I think you can find okay midfielders relatively easily. Phillipou was more risk but he has the chance to be special. I just would've risked it. I wouldn't always risk it, but based on the players available at the time, I would've on this occasion. At this point - I still think Phillipou is looking worth the gamble.

I don't want to be someone who never shares my position and then in 3 years time says "I always thought he wasn't any good" but that's the first time I mention it. If Clark becomes a special player, I'll put my hand up. If he doesn't then I probably won't say anything.

Geelong Cats 13.10 (88) def Sandringham 11.7 (73)
Shaun Mannagh (GEE)
8 Mattaes Phillipou (SAN)
5 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
4 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
3 Jed Bews (GEE)

Shaun Mannagh (GEE) - 5 & 5
Mattaes Phillipou (SAN) - 4 & 4
Mitch Hardie (GEE) - 2 & 3
Ted Clohesy (GEE) - 1 & 3
Jed Bews (GEE) - 1 & 2

Harley has attributes that may make him a star. What are the attributes that make Jhye special? His attack on the ball is very good but everything else is average. He has poor composure, average kick, good by hand.

I think he will be solid and play a lot of games for us but what have you seen that makes you think he will be a special player? He has only had 2 good games in the VFL in his time here and has been poor at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back