VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm not a fan of SDK in the ruck, and it's the one upside I can see.

Harden him up and we might just get the vintage 2022 SDK back......

Fair point and it might benefit him.
But i figure if hes going to ruck a full year we will need to change his training and put more weight on him (or the crash and bash rucks will wear him down) and we probably need a full off season to do that. As a pose to having to do it now off not much prep bc conway is injured.

I think that’s a bit OTT but he would be disappointed for sure.

I dont think its OTT in the sense that if he doesnt get picked off this gane he probably isnt for the rest of the year. And if that happens given his age etc i think the trade is inevietable. But time will tell.

Either way if hes not picked this week it makes crystal clear selection is about team structure and pecking order etc not form. As on form hes in irrespective of who you take out.

Let’s not forget that MC and CS/Coaching panel see players competing against each on almost a daily basis at training, particularly match-sim drills. Mannagh is competing against Close, Rohan, Stengle, Miers, and O. Henry for a spot in the AFL side.
Close and Rohan were outstanding last night IMO. Miers worked his way well into the game and has a unique X-Factor. Stengle is an A+/AA small forward and O. Henry kicked 40 goals last year and while reflecting the team’s strength performance somewhat this year, he has not been horrible.
If he was thrashing our defenders and outperforming all the aforementioned at training along with his VFL form, he’d be in.
AFL spots in a side that was the Premier 1 1/2 season ago are not given easily.
And let’s face it, 17 clubs will not be banging the doors down to get him like they were with Tim Kelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill take your points on the rest but i will disagree with the last sentence.
We took TK at 24 as a no of clubs were keen straight after (wce were going to use their next pick on him and took liam ryan when he was gone) and the mannagh situation is the same.
The club was quite transparent about the fact they werent sure if he would get to #36 and they knew he wasnt getting to #58 as port and freo among other clubs had made pretty clear they would take him around that range. Which is why the recruiters did the essendon trade and took him there.

While he doesnt have 17 clubs wanting him he has 3 or 4 and its unlikely those clubs are suddenly not keen anymore 12 months later.

The only reason I can see us agreeing to a trade is if our plan was to bring him in incase we lost Stengle.
We have history on our side lately, he can ask for a trade but the likelihood of us agreeing is minimal

Thats possible but it still doesnt negate the fact that its inevietable he would request it, which was my point.
And we will see what happens but i dont think it would be wise on our part to refuse the request.

Played 3 qtrs in the vfl was ok but then hobbled off and didnt return. Unsure if injured or they pulled him for next week.

He looked injured - he didn't look great when he got up from that marking contest when he landed awkwardly, and when he was going to the rooms, he had a noticeable limp & an uncomfortable look with trying to walk

Hopefully he was just sore, but that landing may have hurt

He looked injured - he didn't look great when he got up from that marking contest when he landed awkwardly, and when he was going to the rooms, he had a noticeable limp & an uncomfortable look with trying to walk

Hopefully he was just sore, but that landing may have hurt

Was it just a jarred knee and nothing else? I suppose its hard to know with our injury reports.

If we do make changes for Hawks game then l would be looking to rest 2e and Duncan
Push O’Connor to defence bring in Mannagh and O Henry to play as sub

2e played really well but has struggled to back up good games

Duncan will be a bit slow in defence against a small quick Hawks forward line and he looked like he was struggling with body issues before getting subbed.

Stewart to play in defence
SDK ruck pushing back into defence and blitz to ruck around ground

So what changed between round 1 and now?
That's probably a question for Shaun and the match committee. But you're comparing him to TK who was also recruited as a forward but immediately pushed into the midfield and stayed there under the same coach. Don't you think it's reasonable to suggest Mannagh isn't the same level of player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree.
I just meant in terms of us winning finals this year it will really hurt (particularly as we dont have a key back to replace sdk).

Maybe we use Blicavs as a key back?

SDK rucks 80% of the time, Blicavs 20%, and for the 80% of game time when he's not chopping out rucking Blitz plays KPD.

Was it just a jarred knee and nothing else? I suppose its hard to know with our injury reports.

It's hard to tell - I think it's from the marking contest where he seemed to have his legs taken from under him, and at the time I would have thought more likely a sore back

So maybe just really winded, but he didn't exactly have a happy look on his face to be going to the rooms

I'm hoping it's nothing serious as he had been doing some good things & looked like he was moving pretty well, until that point

It's hard to tell - I think it's from the marking contest where he seemed to have his legs taken from under him, and at the time I would have thought more likely a sore back

So maybe just really winded, but he didn't exactly have a happy look on his face to be going to the rooms

I'm hoping it's nothing serious as he had been doing some good things & looked like he was moving pretty well, until that point
Stanley being Stanley and that crash landing being significantly more than a paper cut I reckon he misses weeks.

The only reason I can see us agreeing to a trade is if our plan was to bring him in incase we lost Stengle.
We have history on our side lately, he can ask for a trade but the likelihood of us agreeing is minimal
I have stated I haven't liked how we handled Mannagh so far, but there is still time for him to break into the team.

But I'd double down on it being a very poor effort by us as a club if we drafted a 26-year-old who finally got to the level required to have multiple clubs wanting him, only to plonk him in the twos all year, and then when another club still wants him that we say "Nah he is contracted and staying" and we continue to let his career rot in the VFL.

The guy will be 27 next year... He ain't got time to muck around serving a multiple-year apprenticeship.

Whilst we have him contracted and the right to do so and hold him whilst under contract... I'd hope we'd be better than that and let the guy go and play AFL footy if we are not selecting him.

The guy can't do much more than he is doing.

25 touches and 2 goals a game in the VFL last year playing mid/forward.
17 touches and 3 goals a game in the VFL playing closer to goal this year.

Play him or move him on with our blessings.

the message being sent by NOT rewarding that effort is far worse than any AFL selection can cause. Non selection sends just the worst vibe and kills an already unknown moral level IMO

GO Catters
Be even worse if they bring Guthrie back in without giving him another opportunity.By the way I thought the VFL side today looked re energized off the elevation of 3 up to the AFL Saturday.

Thats possible but it still doesnt negate the fact that its inevietable he would request it, which was my point.
And we will see what happens but i dont think it would be wise on our part to refuse the request.
I feel this assessment is based on how you would feel in his situation than on anything that has come from him.
Take this interview from post today’s game. He comes across as someone who is very happy with where he is at in his life right now and he is genuinely happy for his teammates getting an opportunity in the AFL at the moment. You may be proven right by years end if nothing changes but I’m certain he will have his chance again and may even be as early as this week.

From the defensive side of the square to 6 points, all without ball touching the hands of a Geelong player

Crazy to think that a number of years ago, soccer kicks off the ground didn't count as a disposal - would love to see how this goal would have been described under those conditions, "Geelong take the ball from the centre square to their forward line & score a goal, all without a valid disposal" ? 🤔 🤨

I have stated I haven't liked how we handled Mannagh so far, but there is still time for him to break into the team.

But I'd double down on it being a very poor effort by us as a club if we drafted a 26-year-old who finally got to the level required to have multiple clubs wanting him, only to plonk him in the twos all year, and then when another club still wants him that we say "Nah he is contracted and staying" and we continue to let his career rot in the VFL.

The guy will be 27 next year... He ain't got time to muck around serving a multiple-year apprenticeship.

Whilst we have him contracted and the right to do so and hold him whilst under contract... I'd hope we'd be better than that and let the guy go and play AFL footy if we are not selecting him.

I’ve said similar over the past 6 months why did we even bother recruiting Hardie
I’m not his biggest fan but at their age what’s the point if you don’t bring them up.
My point is someone at the club in recruiting or drafting is stubborn and just because he’s not playing now doesn’t mean he’s not playing in a month and next year onwards.
There’s a lot behind closed doors we will never know, he might be working on certain aspects of his game that even though he’s getting the ball and kicking goals he’s not ticking those boxes.
Personally if he can’t get a game in our 22 he is almost the perfect sub, energetic and gets the ball

Mannagh said as much in his interview.

I think you have misunderstood my position.
Ive highlighted the other poster i bolder because it better represents my view.
The two things arent mutually exclusive.
Mannagh might well love the club as the training environment, family friendly structures etc are great.
But if he doesnt get picked off his current form then its clear the coaches view him as backup only, which will massively hurt any size of contract offer post 25.
A younger player can take that risk and back themselves in because they might earn a bigger deal in a year or two.
Mannagh at 27 cant afford that.
If another club later this year offers him a 2-3 year deal and a more likely route to best 22 he simply has to take it. Its a business decision.
He can like the club and still have to do that.

You obviously think he wont get offered that by another team. I think its very likely he will and will move.

We will see who is right and wrong in about 3 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back