VFL VFL R4 Sandringham vs Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Slightly concerned, but he'll overcome that, I don't even think he's playing deep forward at all (Brown, Pierce, Hickey probably playing there at different times). Strangely I was happy that he didn't kick a goal when playing vs Collingwood as most key forwards perform not too well on debut.

OK, so I've watched the first half now and a little bit of the 2nd and two who have stood out so far are Saad and Acres. Saad kicked a couple and had a direct hand in one or two others and they said in commentary that Casey would have to do something about him, as he was just being too damaging.

As for Acres, he is just really smooth and keeps on linking up and doing good things. A couple of good left foot kicks that hit their targets. At one stage got the ball deep in defence and worked it out of there with run (put the foot down at one stage to get some space on whoever was chasing him, which proves that he does have pace when he needs it) and handballs and he followed up all the way to the forward line, where he got on the end of it again about 60m out and drove it inside 50 from there. I think had 3 possies in that chain, starting from 15m from our defensive goal.

Something else that has really stood out so far is him going 3rd-up at ball-ups. He's done it 3 times in the last half hour or so that I've watched and he is really effective at it, as he is around 190cm and has a very good leap on him. On two of those 3 occasions he got a good foot or two above anyone else's hands at those ball-up's and the last one he really palmed down. Lenny used to be really good at this but Blake ought to be better, being slightly taller and much more athletic.

Love Tom Lee's kicking from defence. One 50m+ kick-in into the wind was fantastic. Goddard's kicking back there good too.

Last edited:
OK, so I've watched the first half now and a little bit of the 2nd and two who have stood out so far are Saad and Acres. Saad kicked a couple and had a direct hand in one or two others and they said in commentary that Casey would have to do something about him, as he was just being too damaging.

As for Acres, he is just really smooth and keeps on linking up and doing good things. A couple of good left foot kicks that hit their targets. At one stage got the ball deep in defence and worked it out of there with run (put the foot down at one stage to get some space on whoever was chasing him, which proves that he does have pace when he needs it) and handballs and he followed up all the way to the forward line, where he got on the end of it again about 60m out and drove it inside 50 from there. I think had 3 possies in that chain, starting from 15m from our defensive goal.

Something else that has really stood out so far is him going 3rd-up at ball-ups. He's done it 3 times in the last half hour or so that I've watched and he is really effective at it, as he is around 190cm and has a very good leap on him. On two of those 3 occasions he got a good foot or two above anyone else's hands at those ball-up's and the last one he really palmed down. Lenny used to be really good at this but Blake ought to be better, being slightly taller and much more athletic.

Love Tom Lee's kicking from defence. One 50m+ kick-in into the wind was fantastic. Goddard's kicking back there good too.

Link?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Acres got better as he went. I was pretty rapt with what he did Through the guts

Watched the rest of it.

3 more 3rd-up hitouts to Acres in the last quarter and a half, making it at least 6 from when I first noticed him do it probably early in the 2nd. More good link up work from him, where he gets one possession then follows it up and gets another one further down the ground in the same chain. Did that at least 3 times for the game. Seems to get into the right spots. Good game.

Saad had a terrific game, on Terlich. Best game I've seen him play since his first year with us probably. Did it in the air, on the ground, on the lead, tackled well, got up and back well. Kicked two in the first half (one a banana from outside the boundary) and then had 4 more shots in the last quarter. At least one set shot hit the post and I think another did as well, certainly sounded like it. Very strong sideways wind. Then he missed one from 55m after an excellent jumping overhead mark at full stretch, sort of on the lead, from a long kick in. Then a bit later he did brilliantly to evade a couple of tackles and have a snap, but unfortunately it missed. They just weren't able to tackle him, went this way and that, until he finally got free enough to take the snap, a little bit like that goal he kicked at Etihad against Carlton in his first season. Another game or two like that and he could easily come back in for say Sinclair, if he goes back onto the rookie list for Seb. Could have easily enough kicked 5 and pretty much looked a class above.

Ripper mark by Goddard in the last quarter. Was running back into a bit of a pack with the flight of the ball and while running sort of backwards/sideways he threw his right arm up and back as far as it would go and pulled down the one-hander, while still running backwards/sideways into trouble. He good.

Paddy didn't kick a goal, but took some good marks and did a couple of good things at ground level, including a blind-turn to evade a tackle.

T-Lee did another ripper kick-out from full back into the wind (at least I think it was him- the camera didn't pick up the play until the ball was in flight, but I doubt anyone else back there would have pulled off that kick). He seems to have his mojo back to what it was like in his 1st year with us when he was playing well.

Curren and Saunders played well. Didn't see Minch a lot all day, seemed to get most of his touches in tight. Eli did a few good things. Wright a couple of good runs and his usual tough stuff. Gilbo kicked a ripper long goal from 50m out into the wind in the first quarter and did some other good things and sat out most of the last. Shenton was Shenton, Holmes and Pierce didn't do a lot, against Jamar and Gawn.

Mitch Brown is seriously impressive overhead, marking at the highest point. They said in commentary that he took 8 marks inside 50 the previous week! Would be very handy for a club to have on the rookie list at least.

Last edited:
Gee, great to hear of all the good stuff going on with guys trying to push up into the team. With Ross, Ray, Markworth etc still to come back we're getting some serious options. Even in our terrific years 2004-2011 I can't remember options like these. Top end still light, but that will come.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL R4 Sandringham vs Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back