VFL VFL R4 Sandringham vs Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea of the older heads like Schneider setting the standard and sending the message get to this level if you want to be selected ahead of me. The only qualifying remark I would say is that if a youngster shows form and if an old head shows lack of form we need to be brave enough to make the change, and not play experienced players just because they are experienced players. I was amongst those saying lets get games into the young guys, but I am going to have to eat my words...Schneider is setting the standard at the moment and deserves to be best 22. He will have to go back on the rookie list soon and when that happens a youngster will get an opportunity.

Is it true that Paddy McCartin played on a wing on the weekend? Just read it on the Saints Footy Facebook page.
No, no it's not. He played a Roo-like high forward role.

good to hear, need to really get his endurance up. run him ragged
He was already pretty good at that, not Riewoldt levels but he was played at FF almost due to necessity at the Falcons and school footy - he was more dangerous there with all the players they had. But watch some games and there is no doubt he can play that lead up forward role just as well.

How tired did the big fella look! He keeps on trying though. I think he'll build it just needs some time

spot on. every player goes through it. ross looked cooked but you can tell his determination to keep going, tank got better by the month.

billings the same

not every player is born with a massive tank, many have to work on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone concerned about Paddy being yet to kick a goal or am I just being silly? Obviously he's incredibly raw at the moment but still, just one goal would be nice.
Lewis Jetta kicked 19 behinds before he kicked his first goal.
Look at him now!

Is anyone concerned about Paddy being yet to kick a goal or am I just being silly? Obviously he's incredibly raw at the moment but still, just one goal would be nice.
Not concerned at all.

Will kick goals when he's good and ready.

And will kick many goals over many years for the Saints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rose glasses off

Paddy has really struggled to have an impact.

He will get there most probably... But I saw Jess Hogan at 17 playing at Casey... He was dominating.

Hugh has been solid
McKenzie outstanding in the VFL
Sinclair and Lonie beauties
Acres will most likely make it... His range could be anywhere from fringe AFL to elite AFL... So hard to get a handle on Acres

No one is saying anything close to that
I just thought Paddy's talents would be more evident at this stage
Paddy is still raw. He's definitely going to get there though! I watched the game on Saturday and he played well up the ground. No surprise that he didn't hit the scoreboard but he still took 7 marks which is pretty good for a lead up forward you would think! He even put a few down that he should have taken so he gets enough of it. IMO he will take a bit of time to build up the engine and the confidence. He seems so keen to do the team thing, which is great. But he will become a really good player when he builds the body and confidence to command the ball and really assert himself. That's when he will become the great full forward that we can't wait for him to be. Young Paddy just needs time to learn the ropes.

Paul Roos had a bit to say on the way the draft system impacts high draft picks, and this part is particularly relevant to the discussion about Paddy:

"We've tried to make it too much like America and in America the players are aged 22 and out of college. I discussed it quite frankly with the kids at the draft camp last year, where I warned them that it made me uncomfortable the way we parade them out and set them up to fail.

"There are so many examples. There's Gibbs, there's Murphy, there's Kreuzer and now we're seeing it with Tommy Boyd and Jonathon Patton.

"Paddy McCartin's playing in the seconds and he shouldn't be worried about that. I hope the Saints are just telling him to relax and enjoy his footy."

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...elbourne-coach-paul-roos-20150511-ggzad4.html

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL R4 Sandringham vs Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back