2nds VFL Round 6 - Geelong v North Ballarat, Skilled Stadium, 10:40AM Saturday 7 May (curtain raiser)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers on the info boys good to hear he's travelling well unlucky for drum hope it's not to bad and can get a solid run into him

edwards nt kick 9 he kicked 5.we fought hard but lost by 45.endeavour great execution poor.joffa our best really good,motlop chased and tackled well,cowan showed a bit and brown and vardy were good when it got there.blake played reasonably well and gillies got involved in the play a bit but gets shifted off the line too easily in marking contests.vfl wise selwood good firman and raids great along with mclean and 57.selwood was courageous and copped a shoulder injury for it and drum soft tissue injury to right leg.

edwards nt kick 9 he kicked 5.we fought hard but lost by 45.endeavour great execution poor.joffa our best really good,motlop chased and tackled well,cowan showed a bit and brown and vardy were good when it got there.blake played reasonably well and gillies got involved in the play a bit but gets shifted off the line too easily in marking contests.vfl wise selwood good firman and raids great along with mclean and 57.selwood was courageous and copped a shoulder injury for it and drum soft tissue injury to right leg.

Who's joffa?

I must admit today was the best I've seen Blakey play. He was actually kicking the ball a lot more today, and apart from one howler where he kicked to a North Ballarat player with no one near him, most of his kicks hit the target. There was one in particular when he pinpointed a 45m pass to Motlop in the forward 50.

Josh Walker impressed me today too. He was pretty mobile, took a few good grabs and his poise and calmness under pressure surprised me for such a young lad. Could be one to keep an eye on.

I didn't think we played as poorly as the scoreboard suggests, but our turnovers across the middle of the ground destroyed us today, as I'd suggest the majority of North Ballarat's score was as a direct result of them.

i will repeat for those interested in knowing how many goals Aaron Edwards kicked for the Roos : 10 (according to the VFL website).

North Ballarat
Goal Kickers: A. Edwards 10, D. Micallef 2, B. Evans , R. McKenzie , M. Campbell , S. Hughes , O. Stephenson
Best Players: A. Edwards, M. Sharkey, C. Garlett, M. Sewell, C. Richardson, M. Greig

Geelong
Goal Kickers: M. Brown 2, N. Vardy 2, M. Firman , M. Corrigan , J. Schroder , S. Motlop , B. Johnson , J. Cowan
Best Players: M. Firman, J. Stringer, A. McLean, M. Corrigan, B. Raidme, M. Blake

agree on blake winty.got involved today best ive seen him this year.still wont get a game unless otto is out though. the vfl side doesn't have the defensive ability of the afl side:so when we turn it over we suffer.despite that there's some good developing young players in the side atm.

Walker played very well in the backline
Took some great marks

Vardy's body is not ready to go. Needs more game time and will be a very good player

Brown is a champion and should not be rushed

Motlop floats in and out of the game. Will be a player when he gets more confidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who the hell was playing on Edwards? Good god.

Gillies started on him, then McLean went to him.

He was the biggest beneficiary of us turning it over in the middle. At least once in the first half Gillies was running up the ground to create support for the ball carrier, only for him to be hopelessly out of position when the ball was turned over and Edwards was by himself in the square.

About to go through the photos to see if any good came out..
Some thoughts I had.. the umpires were shocking, I think we gave away over 30 frees, and had about 10 missed.. and we gave away about 6 50m penalty as the players got frustrated with the umpires..
Edward's 10th goal was when he shoved McLean square in the back right in front of the umpire, umpire paid the mark..

Some thoughts on the players..
1) Mitch Brown.. not the cleanest hands, but tried hard and was good at ground level. Difficult day for the forwards with the ball movement.
15) Jordan Schroder.. does a lot of good things, tries to bust open packs and looks to create. I think he will be a player.
18) Josh Cowan.. usually very harsh on him with his decision making, but today looked a day he started to get it all together.. very creative with his play and gets in and under.. took a great mark up forward.
23) Marcus Drum.. I got a photo of him on the ground.. moved well when he ran onto the ground.
24) Mark Blake.. its been said, not our #1 ruck choice.. did okayish, but just two glaring mistakes. He actually took on and baulked about 4 Ballarat forwards throughout the game..
25) Tom Gillies.. well beaten by Edwards, but wasn't helped by midfield ball. Lack of Bathie hindered his game
29) Cameron Guthrie.. not outstanding but did what the team needed. Few very nice touches.
32) Steve Motlop.. few great touches, but still struggling to impose himself on a game. Shoulder took a bad knock, but ran it off.
36) Nathan Vardy.. makes the right decisions, going to play seniors in the next 4 weeks with this kind of form. Good test today against Stephenson
38) Ben Johnson.. best forward for us all day and his best game since 2010. Moved well and actually looked fast at times, creating good forward line pressure
41) Jesse Stringer.. took a beautiful mark.. doesn't do a whole lot, but is slowly getting into games and looking a bit flashy at times.. just needs to do more
42) Josh Walker.. looks like he could be an option. Good down back, with good hands and great composure.
43) George Burbery.. really struggled to get into the game, as did most our forwards.
46) Jonathan Simpkin.. not an outstanding game, but did the team things getting a number of good touches
50) Matt Firman.. good game by the co-captain, never stopped trying off the half back line. Good by foot.
51) Troy Selwood.. few okay things, good composure.. but didn't stamp his authority on the game from my vantage point
53) Jaxson Barham.. didn't rate his game.. few touches, but applies very little pressure or presence on the ground
54) Andrew McLean.. the only reason we didnt lose by more.. a rock down back and clean with disposal. Should play AFL next year.
55) Mitch Cuthill.. not an overly noticeable player, but does a few little things each game which catch the eye. Honest player.
56) Casey Tutungi.. really good game early on, with a number of nice touches, run and toughness
57) Mark Corrigan.. classy player with great attack on the ball and finishing skills. One player to watch at VFL level
61) Ben Raidme.. tough, hard player who never gave up. Was okay throughout holdin his man well

I must admit today was the best I've seen Blakey play. He was actually kicking the ball a lot more today, and apart from one howler where he kicked to a North Ballarat player with no one near him, most of his kicks hit the target. There was one in particular when he pinpointed a 45m pass to Motlop in the forward 50.

Josh Walker impressed me today too. He was pretty mobile, took a few good grabs and his poise and calmness under pressure surprised me for such a young lad. Could be one to keep an eye on.

I didn't think we played as poorly as the scoreboard suggests, but our turnovers across the middle of the ground destroyed us today, as I'd suggest the majority of North Ballarat's score was as a direct result of them.

yep agree with all that.yeah blake got a bit of the ball and kicked the ball more than l ever seen in a match.the turnovers are a real issue in VFL side l've seen at least 3 VFL games and so many turn overs.and the other team always seem to score from most of them.is north ballarat VFL side north melb seconds? l thought magic daw is on there list and he was playing for w'bee or w'town.

yep agree with all that.yeah blake got a bit of the ball and kicked the ball more than l ever seen in a match.the turnovers are a real issue in VFL side l've seen at least 3 VFL games and so many turn overs.and the other team always seem to score from most of them.is north ballarat VFL side north melb seconds? l thought magic daw is on there list and he was playing for w'bee or w'town.

North have an arrangement whereby half their players play with Werribbee and the other half with North Ballarat, and Majak plays for Werribbee.

Thanks RR, good summary that I pretty much agree with.

Now I know '57' is Corrigan, he looked like a real player today.

Hey, were you there early enough to see how Drum got injured? I arrived at quarter time and he was already gone for the day by then, so I just wondered how it happened.

North have an arrangement whereby half their players play with Werribbee and the other half with North Ballarat, and Majak plays for Werribbee.

thanks for that.having the fringe players split into 2 groups cant be that good or can it who cares about them anyway.

Thanks RR, good summary that I pretty much agree with.

Now I know '57' is Corrigan, he looked like a real player today.

Hey, were you there early enough to see how Drum got injured? I arrived at quarter time and he was already gone for the day by then, so I just wondered how it happened.

I got there about 15 minutes into the first term, and I don't remember seeing Drum either, although North Ballarat were kicking to the other end from where I was sitting in the first term.

I got there early and watched the whole game.

I saw Selwood go off before half time and now knowing that Drum was off early as well they did do a good job to battle on with half a bench for the majority of the game, especially with all the big guys out there.

Blake was good in the ruck. They used the tactic to stand off him so he didn't have the handball outlet forcing him to kick the footy. Blake used the time and space and went direct, even weaved in and out of a few of them on occassions before kicking long.

Troy Selwood went off with the shoulder problem late in the second. He layed a good tackle in the D50 and come up clutching the shoulder. The ball knocked lose in the tackle and bounced back towards him from the resulting contest. He went in with one arm, won the contested ball and then the free kick. Got up to take the free kick still clutching the shoulder with one hand and dropped the ball onto his boot with the other! Hard as nails those Selwood's.

I too liked the look of Walker. Lively in the contest across half back and took some solid grabs. McLean was fair but took turns in getting reamed by Edwards with Gillies, who I hate to say it looks like a complete potato. Just no where near it in the contests.

Guthrie, Brown, Vardy all thereabouts, did their part when they were involved in the play which was not often for the two big fellas.

Schroder has laid a couple of beauty tackles this week and last. Obviously not a natural forward but has a crack. Suspect they want him to work on his fitness before he gets more centre square midfield time, similar to Christensen last year.

Motlop again really only kicked one beauty from the fence 40m out but otherwise very scratchy. I've never seen the talent in this guy in VFL games that the club talks up from the training tracks.

Simpkin was probably the most consistent across the game without being exceptional.

I had to look at the numbers to figure out who #23 was early in the first. Then didn't see him for the rest of the game. Seems from another report he was injured again, so there you go.

ps that Teach guy is a lunatic. I went to the game with younger kids <10 and even they thought he was a loonie. There's support and then there is being an obnoxious knob. A middle age man carrying on hitting the advertising boards in a VFL game and loudly berating the umpires as if he was actually having a conversation with them is sad, so so sad. Cheering and encouragement I can handle, even in the way he does it - making it sound like he is best buddies with all the players, but this guy crosses the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds VFL Round 6 - Geelong v North Ballarat, Skilled Stadium, 10:40AM Saturday 7 May (curtain raiser)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back