WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't need strength.

What you said was ****ing stupid. You need to think about what you are saying.

There is as much light in each day, but the daylight hours shift. There will be more hours of light after any given time, and less before.

But the whole pro-argument assumes people want more light after work. Many don't. Personally, I prefer not to be exposed to the extra heat and I prefer my nightlife and barbecues to be at dusk/night without beginning so late. I also find I can achieve any outdoor exercise without daylight savings in the morning or after work.

Additionally, my schedule doesn't change. I still have dinner at the same time, still have chores at the same time and still need the same amount of sleep. Whatever time I'm outside being active, it's after work/ before dinner where light is abundant without DLS. After dinner, I am more then happy to sit under the patio enjoying a cool evening/night.

If all my boxes are ticked now, why would I want to change that to a system which I find more uncomfortable and outputting?

That's actually a pretty good analogy - which begs the question as to why people, such as yourself, are so passionately against it?

Because it's a waste of bloody time amongst other reasons.

I never thought I'd grow to be so against it, having grown up with it over east.

One of the reason's I'm so freaking angry about it, is the way it was introduced with a couple of weeks notice. What about democracy? If it's an issue for referendum, then put it to the vote. If it's so damn good for use, make it permanent without even asking the people. We elect governments to decide and if we dont like their decisions we kick them out and trust me, the arrogance of the Carpenter government over things like this was enough to tip the balance against them.

To be honest, there would've been more chance of a yes vote without the trial IMO as we've been badgered to death about how "backward" WA is in comparison to the eastern states and this not having DLS was indicative of it.

No one has convinced me a reason of why the "welcome to the 21st century" attitude is valid. DLS was envisaged in the early part of the 20th century and was used during the war years.

Had we gone straight to referendum I would've gone 'yes' but now after three years I can see the benefits to my lifestyle of not having. I wouldn't have investigate things like where the time zone is calculated, what time sunrise and sunset is here and over east. I am voting no and I should be able to express an opinion at the ballot box without having to be constantly abused and derided.

If you really want to be like the eastern states, then realistically we should have moved forward half an hour to closer match their sunrise and sunset times.

The business argument doesn't wash with me as we are thousands of kilometers from the eastern states, of course there's going to be a time difference. The only way to solve that is to have a time zone calculated from the middle of the country and everyone goes by that. Could you see Sydney and Melbourne agreeing to that? Not a bloody hope.

I think we're big enough to stand on our own two feet and screwing about with the clocks isn't a way to gauge whether our society is modern or not.

If you want it vote yes and leave other people alone who dont agree with it. The abuse and idiocy over faded curtains and cows always makes me think that there isn't a valid argument for, you're just making things up. It's like the Chewbacca defence, it doesnt make sense.

Then 10 years after that when they have their own, they'll be glad.

Will the yes people accept the decision this time if it is no?

I'm yet to meet a single person with kids who owns up to not liking DLS...

Is it the complete inability to mount a logical argument that causes people to tell you they like DLS and then vote No?

Sort of embarassing realising you are being a silly stick in the mud, so its just easier to lie?

I would be interested to see the demographic split on voting intentions - I have a sneaking suspicion that among the lower socio-economic groups the No vote would be much higher - I guess they arent so time poor. :p ;)

I'm yet to meet a single person with kids who owns up to not liking DLS...

Is it the complete inability to mount a logical argument that causes people to tell you they like DLS and then vote No?

Sort of embarassing realising you are being a silly stick in the mud, so its just easier to lie?

I would be interested to see the demographic split on voting intentions - I have a sneaking suspicion that among the lower socio-economic groups the No vote would be much higher - I guess they arent so time poor. :p ;)

Why do people need to mount an argument to vote no? The DLS supporters should be convincing people why it is that DLS is required and how it is going to improve the quality of life or whatever it is that it supposedly does. If they haven't been able to convince people of this, why do they automatically expect people to go to a default position of 'yes'? If there has been no positive impact on people's lives (or evenr a negative impact) from DLS, why is it not logical for them to stick with the position prior to the trial of 'no'?

But the whole pro-argument assumes people want more light after work. Many don't. Personally, I prefer not to be exposed to the extra heat and I prefer my nightlife and barbecues to be at dusk/night without beginning so late. I also find I can achieve any outdoor exercise without daylight savings in the morning or after work.

Additionally, my schedule doesn't change. I still have dinner at the same time, still have chores at the same time and still need the same amount of sleep. Whatever time I'm outside being active, it's after work/ before dinner where light is abundant without DLS. After dinner, I am more then happy to sit under the patio enjoying a cool evening/night.

Exactly.

If all my boxes are ticked now, why would I want to change that to a system which I find more uncomfortable and outputting?

If I was relevant to this discussion, I would personally vote no.

But that wasn't why I posted. i was simply pointing out the idiocy of the claim I quoted.

This "tradies don't like it" line I hear sometimes sounds like made up bullshit to me (unless tradies go to bed at 8.30pm?).

My son is a tradesman, most of his mates are tradesmen. Mechanic, Lecky, brickie not to mention equipment operators and blokes who are self employed. They are all young guys (by my standard) around 21 -25. They all agree that DLS is crap. Like most people when they knock off they dont look at the clock. They will have few beers/jacks, billys or whatever, eat when it's nearly dark then go to bed sometime after that. With DLS they reckon they are now hitting the cot later. 11pm to 12 pm as opposed to 10pm to 11pm.
We had a renovation done a couple of summers ago. I made a point of asking the tradies. To a man they didn't like.

Here is a good link. Mind you if you against DLS then it's preaching to the converted. Nevertheless there are some pretty informative pages and essays.

The "last Sunday in March" is the killer.

If it was "first (or second) Sunday in February" I'd go for it.

"Last Sunday in February" I'd give it some serious thought.

"Last Sunday in March" - no way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is exactly how I feel.

This is exactly how I feel.

I can think of no reason why West Australians should pretend to join the 20th Cent., much less the 21st. Leave them as they are. It won't even occur to them that they're unhappy, as long as they can follow the sun.

Mind you, if the streets of their capital were suddenly dirty, they would come alive with a vengeance, but there's not much chance of either of those scenarios manifesting.

I can think of no reason why West Australians should pretend to join the 20th Cent., much less the 21st. Leave them as they are. It won't even occur to them that they're unhappy, as long as they can follow the sun.

Mind you, if the streets of their capital were suddenly dirty, they would come alive with a vengeance, but there's not much chance of either of those scenarios manifesting.

Way to completely miss the point. You still haven't said how changing the clocks is "joining the 21st century".

Going out at night is hardly 19th century stuff.

What the hell are you on...? Are all people living in Gippsland this weird? This post makes absolutely no sense at all!

Way to completely miss the point. You still haven't said how changing the clocks is "joining the 21st century".

Going out at night is hardly 19th century stuff.

What the hell are you on...? Are all people living in Gippsland this weird? This post makes absolutely no sense at all!

Of course you don't understand. You're West Australians.

Remove this Banner Ad

WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back