WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Because it's so dark at 4pm :)

Apparently it is these days.

I'm still yet to understand the comment that I've read from a few people in other forums: "I get to see more of my kids".

Are you suddenly working less hours because of DLS?
Are you keeping them up later and depriving them of an hours sleep?
Are you no longer keeping your attention on the TV screen because it's light outside?
Don't you have lights and it was too dark before?

It's such a strange statement.

If there is ridicule aimed at the people who don't want DLS, I want these pro-DLS statements to stand up to scrutiny.

You see, this is what shytes me.

Eagle87 reckons his kids love playing outside. Eagle 87 wants/likes his kids playing outside. Eagle87's kids can't play outside unless there's daylight saving. Ergo Eagle 87's kids love daylight saving.

I thought he lived in Thailand and assumed therefore that his kids did also.

I thought he lived in Thailand and assumed therefore that his kids did also.

My business operates in various locales and I spend a fair bit of my time in Thailand but also in Perth, where my kids are based...

They love playing outside and they come in when it starts getting dark - by extension, they get an extra hour in DLS.... this is something they like... like all DLS arguments, for and against, its not a compelling reason why we should vote for it but I believe (from memory) that I was responding to a poster who indicated that everyone with kids didnt like it - that is simply bollocks....

My business operates in various locales and I spend a fair bit of my time in Thailand but also in Perth, where my kids are based...

They love playing outside and they come in when it starts getting dark - by extension, they get an extra hour in DLS.... this is something they like... like all DLS arguments, for and against, its not a compelling reason why we should vote for it but I believe (from memory) that I was responding to a poster who indicated that everyone with kids didnt like it - that is simply bollocks....

And yet, most DLS supporters will say it's a poor argument to suggest that trying to get the kids to sleep while it's still light is a problem. Your kids love playing outside, and because of DLS, they get to stay out an extra hour - they are obviously old enough to either not have a bed time, or it is after the sun has gone down. How do you think the kids would like it if their bed time was while it was still light?

And yet, most DLS supporters will say it's a poor argument to suggest that trying to get the kids to sleep while it's still light is a problem. Your kids love playing outside, and because of DLS, they get to stay out an extra hour - they are obviously old enough to either not have a bed time, or it is after the sun has gone down. How do you think the kids would like it if their bed time was while it was still light?

It was in year 1 of the trial.

I said "bed time.." ... like most kids, they prefer not to go to bed (light is just another excuse on top of the 300 hundred other excuses) .... they went to bed.

I am unsure if an inability to get ones kids to go to bed is much of a DLS issue, its seems at least equally a parenting issue.

.... and if I was being picky, I could ask, how do you reckon UK parents/kids deal with it?

I said "bed time.." ... like most kids, they prefer not to go to bed (light is just another excuse on top of the 300 hundred other excuses) .... they went to bed.

I am unsure if an inability to get ones kids to go to bed is much of a DLS issue, its seems at least equally a parenting issue.

.... and if I was being picky, I could ask, how do you reckon UK parents/kids deal with it?

So if it adds to the issue whilst providing someone with no extra benefits, what's the point?

if you have really little kids it is a pain in the arse for the first couple of weeks but they adjust pretty quickly. Older kids like it for the reasons you suggest. the other thing about it is that working parents can get to the park with their kids in the daylight which is a plus

I wonder how parents in Iceland cope in summer, when there is only 5 hours of darkness? I think it's between 11pm & 4am. I'm not the expert at their times, my son is the one who visits there often & says it's weird, also in winter they only have 5 hours of daylight, guess there isn't a problem getting the kids to bed then. ;)

I wonder how parents in Iceland cope in summer, when there is only 5 hours of darkness? I think it's between 11pm & 4am. I'm not the expert at their times, my son is the one who visits there often & says it's weird, also in winter they only have 5 hours of daylight, guess there isn't a problem getting the kids to bed then. ;)

You reckon it also gets up to 42 degrees in Iceland?

They're also completely broke, so there goes the business argument in one fell swoop.

Another thing is that a fair chunk of Iceland isn't located in the tropics.

Why the hell are we talking about Iceland anyway? The point is, DLS is aimed more at higher latitudes. If it's only 5 hours of darkness, then it doesn't really matter if we shift the clock time.

When you've been baking in the sun all day, it's a damned relief to have night time.

But I forget mantis, you had a terrible time here so we're all "backward hicks".

FWIW, if WA was a tiny pissant state geographically and located further south like Victoria is, then DLS might be a valid thing to bring in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never realised Western Australia was so conservative. All the excuses not to have dls are utterly pathetic. I hope when dls finnaly is permanent it is a result of government decision, and not a referendum. as you should never trust something this important to these people.

As each day passes we (Western Australians) we get closer to the day when the ridiculous concept that is DLS is no longer forced upon us. We dont need it, we didn't ever want it and hopefully will never have to suffer it again. For those simpleton's who want it, move to another State that has it.

Remove this Banner Ad

WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back