WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I already addressed this.

Read Q's posts. He is anti-DLS and was responding to a series of posts from people claiming to be suffering from circadian rhythm problems.

Yes, I'm anti-DLS. That particular comment though was more a note that I had noticed the fact the sun was going down a lot later (by the clock). Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure there are pro-DLS people who've noted the exact same thing.

He was stirring the pot.

If you'd actually read anything I posted, you'd know that my objection to DLS has nothing to do with the longer evenings - it's to do with heat retention on hot days, making it near on impossible to get to sleep at a reasonable hour. I'm nearly indifferent to when the sun actually goes down - after all, I have lived in other parts of the world where it goes down a lot later than it ever will in Perth.

But thanks for defending him. I'm sure he feels better.

...yes, its me who has problems... :rolleyes:

I guess being a condescending prat consitutes a problem...

Office jockey? I work 9-5 but no need to get defensive because you were too stupid to get past year 9 Billy. Don;t forget your hammer!

That was nasty funky.

I left school when I was 14 yrs old and I have had to do long hours and manual work all my working life but I get by on 125 K per year.

I guess being a condescending prat consitutes a problem...

Well, when it comes to condescension and passive/agressive posting, you have no peer. so I will take your word on that....

Heat retention on a hot day ... :D

Yep, on those 40 degree days that are still above 30 after midnight, its the DLS that makes them especially intolerable.

Seriously, apart from trying to take the moral high road all the time, do you ever contribute a single independent thought in any forum?

That was nasty funky.

I left school when I was 14 yrs old and I have had to do long hours and manual work all my working life but I get by on 125 K per year.

I can understand what you mean, 125k is almost breadline these days and you put up with 60+ hours a week for that pittance? ...

Remember kiddies, stay in school!

Fair enough. At least you didn't feel the need to invent a medical condition or use your kids as an excuse.

Hey lets just assume your talkin bout someone else cause if you think im makin up a medical condition you come pay the $$ that i had to pay in flyin interstate just to see why i was so damn fuked that i nearly killed myself in a car accident. Me with the help of a lot medical advice now enjoy DLS from oct to feb and if thats what we had to decide on i love the idea of it, just dont like the idea of the mid feb to end of march part because of lifestyle reasons, as i have stated before. The medication that i use cost me F all and i just wish i had found out earlier as i really do enjoy DLS till the beginning of feb.

That was nasty funky.

lol I really was just taking the proverbial. It is a tad harsh of yourself, though, to just lump us all as office jockeys as though no-one has genuine careers etc, hiding in our offices hoping some extra sunlight will give us an extra latte or champers before nightfall.

Thats the best you can do???

I mean, seriously....

Really? .... thats it???

Wow.

In case you haven't noticed you're more often responding to meaningless snide remarks from posters with the clear intent of sucking you in.
You should revert to your usual MO of intelligent debate and worthwhile contributions.
Unfortunately, for you and other DLS proponents, the future of the concept in WA is doomed and this current period will thankfully see the end of the experiment.

sure, but I prefer it that way. That's all that matters

I also think there is more then enough time during summer to go the the beach after work, play with the kids or exercise. I don't require any 'extra' daylight.
And such a choice is yours to make.
Many prefer to be watching the TV rather than enjoying the outdoor life.
Not very healthy, but their choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went outside after work on Monday and did some gardening with my little boy. It was beautiful and we stayed out past his bed time. On Tuesday, I went out with my father in law and played lawn bowls for an hour and a half in the twilight. Again, it was lovely. A little bit cold if anything.

But come the hot days , I will be staying in trying to cool after the heat. I do not want the heat carrying on after I have got home for too long. I do not know why some people do not understand that. It is not that we just want to sit home and do nothing with our lives.

A word in defense of Mr Q. I first encountered his posts on Eagles Flying High. I used to go there so I could be indignant at how pathetic West Coast supporters were and found myself amazed at how balanced Mr Q was in many of his posts. I do not know him and have never met him, but having read a lot of his posts on many subjects over the last couple of years. I think it should be pointed out that he very rarely seems to be over the top in his posts and gives considered opinions.

I went outside after work on Monday and did some gardening with my little boy. It was beautiful and we stayed out past his bed time. On Tuesday, I went out with my father in law and played lawn bowls for an hour and a half in the twilight. Again, it was lovely. A little bit cold if anything.

But come the hot days , I will be staying in trying to cool after the heat. I do not want the heat carrying on after I have got home for too long. I do not know why some people do not understand that. It is not that we just want to sit home and do nothing with our lives.

A word in defense of Mr Q. I first encountered his posts on Eagles Flying High. I used to go there so I could be indignant at how pathetic West Coast supporters were and found myself amazed at how balanced Mr Q was in many of his posts. I do not know him and have never met him, but having read a lot of his posts on many subjects over the last couple of years. I think it should be pointed out that he very rarely seems to be over the top in his posts and gives considered opinions.

On ya Jim. I second all of this.

Some days I like it, sometimes I don't. I don't need a set position on it. After all, the human can adapt extremely well if and when he has to. Look at Coober Pedy.

These spring days recently have been absolutely marvellous to wander around in the evening in..Did you see last evening's clouds after Sunset?? Not caused by the time directly, but I was done with all the obligations and happened to be out and about, so the time thing meant I was outside for it to notice it.

But as Q says, heat not dissipating in heat wave days (a classic feature of the Perth summer) until v late will make getting to sleep happen later, or you need aircon on.

Sleep deprivation (and the uncomfy reason why) can get people cranky, its obvious.

May referendum set for daylight saving

January 27, 2009 - 2:41PM

A referendum on daylight saving will be held in Western Australia in May, the fourth referendum on the issue in the state's history.

The referendum marks the end of a three-year trial on the issue which has divided the state for decades.

Premier Colin Barnett told journalists the referendum would take place on May 16.

Debate over the issue has continued amid calls for an early end to the trial by those opposing daylight saving.

Those in favour called for the referendum question to be changed to allow changes to the period daylight saving ran.

The referendum had to be held between May and September.

The questions to be asked is: ``Are you in favour of daylight saving being introduced in Western Australia by standard time in the state being advanced one hour from the last Sunday in October 2009 until the last Sunday in March 2010 and in similar fashion for each following year?''

Similar questions have been asked in WA referenda in 1975, 1984 and 1992.

At all of them, daylight saving was firmly rejected.

Liberal MP Matt Birney and former Labor turned Independent MP John D'Orazio reintroduced the issue to parliament in 2006.

A bill for a three-year trial was passed as a result and clocks were wound forward in December that year.

Mr D'Orazio bore the brunt of the public backlash, receiving two death threats and a host of hate mail.

Mr Barnett has previously said daylight saving does not suit his lifestyle and had swung towards a ``no'' vote after starting out as partial to the idea.

AAP

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/may-referendum-set-for-daylight-saving-20090127-7qqg.html

The stupid plebs of this state better vote 'yes'.

Now comes the subtle messages from the commercial media that will make all the lemmings think everyone will vote 'yes' therefore they should jump off the cliff as well.
Channel 9 ACA tonight edited their answers from the so called random citizens. One 'no' all the rest 'yes'.
Which I thought was a bit stupid when their lead story at the start of the news suggested that the referendum would be defeated.
Brendon Grylls on ABC seemed pretty confidant that a big campaign to vote 'yes' would be needed more than a 'no' campaign.

Bring it on. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back