List Mgmt. Welcome Matt Owies

Remove this Banner Ad

So he's coming in to do what Brockman couldn't? Actually kick a goal!
Crazy that he got a 3 year contract after kicking less than a goal a game at his time at Hawthorn.
Hopefully he can have a fresh start next season with some extended time in the WAFL.
Will need to kick multiple goals consistently before he finds his way back in the AFL.

Crazy that he got a 3 year contract after kicking less than a goal a game at his time at Hawthorn.
Hopefully he can have a fresh start next season with some extended time in the WAFL.
Will need to kick multiple goals consistently before he finds his way back in the AFL.
I wonder whether Brockman could be tried in a half back flank. His speed, skills and decision making appear to be very good, but he just seems to struggle to get involved in the forward line.

I wonder whether Brockman could be tried in a half back flank. His speed, skills and decision making appear to be very good, but he just seems to struggle to get involved in the forward line.
SPS vibes.

I thought Brockman looked pretty good around the ball too. Very damaging when he got the pill. Just not enough of it.

That's always been his knock. He looks classy but if he can't stay involved in games he can't really be carried.

Yeah we haven't really got any ball pigs that can let you carry these types of players. We end up just getting buried under possession differential.

Should be a decent short term acquisition and its unfortunate that he was caught in the crossfire with the rest of the deal being disastrous.

My this board is starting to sound like a fickle bunch of spoiled brats.
We should be embracing players that want to come and play for us and repay the faith we have shown them.
Not bag them and whinge about how bad a trade it was.
Geez I really hope these players we brought in perform well and help turn us into a better performing side.
There will be definitely be some classic posts to re-visit if they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

High bar but Brockman needs to build his tank and watch Mark Lecras footage. He's that sort of player as far as skill set goes, he needs to work as hard as LeCras did.

Needs to list his disposal count by 50% and use that as a base to get his goal average up to 1.5 per game or so.

There is no room in the modern game for players who can't get 10 touches.

Not a player I expected to see on our list prior to the trade period starting. Didn’t even think he’d be on our radar

Stereotypical annoying small forward who does seem capable of sniffing out a goal or two

Listened to a couple of his interviews and like most players actually comes across as a decent bloke when you listen to him

Despite being part of the pick 3 trade, and ostensibly the inclusion that tipped the scales for it to go ahead he really was part of the steak knives in the deal. Basically cost us a pick in the sixties

At best he can replicate his form at Carlton and be a consistent goal kicker. At worst he’ll provide competition for spots in the forward half and be an experienced player helping out the Beagles

Good luck to him and if he can get under the skin of the purples, on and off field, then welcome to West Coast Matt

Not a player I expected to see on our list prior to the trade period starting. Didn’t even think he’d be on our radar

Stereotypical annoying small forward who does seem capable of sniffing out a goal or two

Listened to a couple of his interviews and like most players actually comes across as a decent bloke when you listen to him

Despite being part of the pick 3 trade, and ostensibly the inclusion that tipped the scales for it to go ahead he really was part of the steak knives in the deal. Basically cost us a pick in the sixties

At best he can replicate his form at Carlton and be a consistent goal kicker. At worst he’ll provide competition for spots in the forward half and be an experienced player helping out the Beagles

Good luck to him and if he can get under the skin of the purples, on and off field, then welcome to West Coast Matt

If he’s playing 2s that’s ****ed.

He should be ahead of just about every small in our team.

If he’s playing 2s that’s ****ed.

He should be ahead of just about every small in our team.

Well if the likes of Ryan, Brockman, Long, Cripps, Petruccelle and Dewar are performing well enough to get a game ahead of him I see that has a good thing

(assuming that Owies himself is playing reasonably well)

He seems to have great vision when passing to other player's. 25 Goal Assists in the last two years. What's he like as pressure fwd?

Last edited:
Conflicting reports as to whether he was going to be delisted or Carlton were just offering less years than us and GC?

Best of luck to him either way.

Carlton were only going to offer him a year at a small contract as they are very, very tight on cap space. It meant we couldn't get him as a DFA.

It's firmly my opinion as well with all the smalls Richmond lost despite not initially showing huge interest in him if he was free, they would have jumped at the PSD.

He's not lightning fast but he's not slow, very agile and Goals + assists averaged over 2 goals a game to his club last year. His pressure is good without being great. If the club could get that result out of him or even a touch more pressure as well then he is an absolute steal.

Shit 25 goals and 10 assists and he'd have performed at the same level as cripps last year. For what is close to free that would still be an exceptional return.

Lets say we don't look at it as being the WCE. If you look at a side over a season and their 2 key talls combined for 100 goals for the year and their 4 smalls combine with 100 goals a year that's a top 4 forward line. You're then only looking for 3 goals a game from your mids, rucks and occasional backman goal per goal.

He's not going to be a star but he was late back to football and has managed to establish himself. I don't expect him to be a top 10 player for any side or ours but it significantly improves a side like ours in that 10-22 on field. Now if it allows someone with elite field kicking and vision like Ryan to be able to go to HB (which with his injury history now isn't necessarily a bad thing longevity wise) with our previous lack of elite kicking as well as run and carry from defence then he's worth his weight in gold to the team.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Matt Owies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back