Welcome Welcome Pat Voss - 2024 Season SSP Signing

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a huge fan too. Sadly, it would mean one of the regular 22 will get injured for him to get back in, or for them to play really badly.
Someone has to be the depth players. That’s the strength of your team.
What Pat has to do is work hard to be the 1st choice replacement which I’m sure Voss understands.
I love what he has shown.

In the WAFL: 19.12 from 6 games

In the AFL: 3.10 from 4 games

Anyone with eyes can see Voss has got great potential, I don’t want to say that he can only perform at WAFL level because he still contests well and generates a lot of looks at goal even with having Treacy and Amiss for competition, but that discrepancy is too large to ignore.

Obviously with a lot more eyes on the AFL then the WAFL it might be a mindset thing? A lot of his shots on Saturday were from the brink of the 50 which is what happens when you play against better quality defence who don’t let you get easy looks, but I remember him missing some really gettable ones against the Swans and the Saints earlier in the year. His set shot routine yesterday didn’t seem fluid, he arked out to the right to generate power, but that might of been because most of his set shots were from a fair way out against swirly wind.

I love his game but he just can’t seem to finish off his good work, and we don’t need more shoddy converters. I also don’t like how he can only crack the team due to injury, I get at this stage he’s a less complete version of Treacy but I fear he’ll be starved of opportunity and eventually go and thrive for another club. He’s too good to be stuck in the WAFL. He’s impressed me more than Amiss has this year, not a knock on Jye but he is massively down on form and confidence as opposed to last year. Would be interested to see what a Treacy/Voss key forward duo looks like and send Jye down to Peel for a week or 2 but I know that’s unlikely to happen

My immediate thought is that the AFL requires a higher level of physical fitness than the WAFL so his fatigue in terms of blood getting to brain could be worse lining up to kick the shot. That's not a mental effort thing, I forget how to count when running at the pointy end of a fitness test.

It takes a while for a tall big player to build the tank for it, I think he will want a big running preseason and become a beast of strength and running power.

Then it should improve.

My immediate thought is that the AFL requires a higher level of physical fitness than the WAFL so his fatigue in terms of blood getting to brain could be worse lining up to kick the shot. That's not a mental effort thing, I forget how to count when running at the pointy end of a fitness test.

It takes a while for a tall big player to build the tank for it, I think he will want a big running preseason and become a beast of strength and running power.

Then it should improve.
In terms of distance running Voss is already outstanding. According to Essendon supporters he won some of their 2km running and ws constantly in their top running group in his last preseason with Essendon. With us he only joined in training after we'd done our distance running trials so he did distance running but not competitive running. His sprint work isn't terrible by any stretch but tha's still the area he needs to improve.

Anyone with eyes can see Voss has got great potential, I don’t want to say that he can only perform at WAFL level because he still contests well and generates a lot of looks at goal even with having Treacy and Amiss for competition, but that discrepancy is too large to ignore.

Obviously with a lot more eyes on the AFL then the WAFL it might be a mindset thing? A lot of his shots on Saturday were from the brink of the 50 which is what happens when you play against better quality defence who don’t let you get easy looks, but I remember him missing some really gettable ones against the Swans and the Saints earlier in the year. His set shot routine yesterday didn’t seem fluid, he arked out to the right to generate power, but that might of been because most of his set shots were from a fair way out against swirly wind.

I love his game but he just can’t seem to finish off his good work, and we don’t need more shoddy converters. I also don’t like how he can only crack the team due to injury, I get at this stage he’s a less complete version of Treacy but I fear he’ll be starved of opportunity and eventually go and thrive for another club. He’s too good to be stuck in the WAFL. He’s impressed me more than Amiss has this year, not a knock on Jye but he is massively down on form and confidence as opposed to last year. Would be interested to see what a Treacy/Voss key forward duo looks like and send Jye down to Peel for a week or 2 but I know that’s unlikely to happen
Its all up to him, if he puts in the hard work required he could be another Treacy. Perhaps we should ask Goossage what he thinks of Voss?

Someone has to be the depth players. That’s the strength of your team.
What Pat has to do is work hard to be the 1st choice replacement which I’m sure Voss understands.
I love what he has shown.
Where Jackson plays is the question.

I can see a world where Jackson spends less time forward and we work with a three talls forward line. None of them are logs, they are competitors, and all seem to have defensive capabilities.

Last edited:

I can't think of anywhere where he would be in a different situation than Freo. He'd be a depth player (or not even on the list) at almost every club. Maybe he could be the #2 at North.

I can't think of anywhere where he would be in a different situation than Freo. He'd be a depth player (or not even on the list) at almost every club. Maybe he could be the #2 at North.

Maybe I’m looking too much at what he could be rather than what he is now, but I think you’re underrating him. Would likely be b22 for any of North, St Kilda, Collingwood, Melbourne or Richmond who all struggle for key forwards

Voss has played four games, Treacy has played fifty more and it's very clear. I'd be signing Voss to a two year extension on the rookie list, perhaps on $180,000 where only $100,000 of that actually hits our salary cap. Include a provision for $7500 per AFL game played so if he is a best twenty two player in 2026 he will be paid at least $350,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed it but gotta love the impatience in writing someone off after 1 game.

Treacy looked very ordinary for ages when he was starting out.

In that "so was I, if you remember" style of Obi Wan talking up Luke to Yoda...

Voss has the same aggressive attack on the ball and player that Josh did in his early games, where he wasn't taking many marks or kicking many goals.

Patrick needs time and experience.

In that "so was I, if you remember" style of Obi Wan talking up Luke to Yoda...

Voss has the same aggressive attack on the ball and player that Josh did in his early games, where he wasn't taking many marks or kicking many goals.

Patrick needs time and experience.
Looking at it, it took Cyclone until his 4th AFL game to kick his first goal, 1 from the 1st 5 in the AFL.

Maybe I’m looking too much at what he could be rather than what he is now, but I think you’re underrating him. Would likely be b22 for any of North, St Kilda, Collingwood, Melbourne or Richmond who all struggle for key forwards

I think he'd still be a backup except maybe North. It might seem like he'd be B22 but those teams have been hit with injuries (King, Caminiti, Mihocek, McStay, Lynch, etc). He might be on par with someone like Turner at Melbourne (but he can kick straight).

I like him and think he’s a gun. He should also help with increasing ladies’ memberships. As we all know more memberships = more cash, which means more games at MCG and less at Tasmania. Therefore, in time, we can thank guys like Voss and O’Meara for competition parity and equity.

It’s a tough situation he finds himself in, he’s worked so hard to get here & had some knocks along the way. But he isn’t first choice & there’s that extra pressure to perform so that selectors have no choice but to select him.

That’s a tough proposition with the likes of Amiss, Treacy & Jackson filling those positions with different roles, not to mention none of them will be retiring anytime soon.

He knows he has to do some extraordinary things at AFL level otherwise he will just be on the list to play when one of the others are injured. There’s a lot of pressure without the security. As a supporter I don’t really want him playing as I want the other 3 fit & firing, but I’m glad there’s a solid option available.

Isn't a forward role one of the hardest areas for a young player to make an immediate impact in? I've never really played footy but it seems like any goal-kicking role requires an incredible capacity to absorb pressure (all the attention on you), have your technique refined with a strong physical endurance.

It seems an outlier that new draftees become gun forwards in their first handful of AFL games.

I'd sign him for long term, I don't think we can lose. Young enough to keep developing, old enough to be good enough immediate depth. Treacy made me look dumb but doubt he has the athletic traits to be a star but we aren't getting a better prospect to keep at WAFL for his next 4 years.

His set shot routine is cooked, wobbly and all over the place and likely part fitness, but largely technique. I'm sure it can be fixed however

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome Pat Voss - 2024 Season SSP Signing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back