List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely floored to see he only had 12 disposals today. His last month has shown plenty and I thought he was involved in most of our best passages today. Tackled well, spoiled well, he’s adding strings to his bow.

The Boy’s going to make it.

Absolutely floored to see he only had 12 disposals today. His last month has shown plenty and I thought he was involved in most of our best passages today. Tackled well, spoiled well, he’s adding strings to his bow.

Had a great first half. Surely it’s no longer up for debate that he’s gonna make it. Already an important cog

Yeah he needs to get more touches, but he looks good with what he's doing.

When he was in the centre bounces he was up on his feet and holding his man at bay, very strong body and he was near it a lot without quite getting hands on it.

Those sorts of games where you see someone on screen a lot but they don't get many disposals. He was always there abouts.

He's very good and probably developing at the rate of a normal draftee. Feel like given Harley's immediate impact that we expect so much so soon but The Boy will be a gun.

Have always been so confident this kid will be a gun and has been tracking as well as nearly everyone from his draft class (bar maybe Sheezel). The angst over his possession counts and disposals is just weird BF WC board group think (started by 1 or 2 posters) and easily dismissed by simply watching him

Glad I’m not the only one who felt this way. Felt like he was everywhere, but only had 13 touches!!!

Have always been so confident this kid will be a gun and has been tracking as well as nearly everyone from his draft class (bar maybe Sheezel). The angst over his possession counts and disposals is just weird BF WC board group think (started by 1 or 2 posters) and easily dismissed by simply watching him
Yeah I think he’s got all the pieces but might take a while to work out the jigsaw. But I reckon it could be very good.

Yeah I think he’s got all the pieces but might take a while to work out the jigsaw. But I reckon it could be very good.
I think for Ginbey is waiting for the transition from defensive mid to offensive mid.
Our coach always has him on defensive duties in the centre square first then get the ball second
As he grows as a player we will see that balance out a lot more a he will get more of the pill and be more damaging

The 2024 version of Ginbey reminds me of Matt Rowell in his 2nd season of AFL. Went all out to get bigger and stronger but seemed to have overdone it. Hoping that the next off season sees him trimming down a little and working on his speed and efficiency so he takes the next step.

Was pretty good. Brad Johnson was right about his marking, but I believe that it is just a general clean hands problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I respect that sometimes you have to go an athlete over a natural footballer, but ginbey for all his build has not shown that he’s some next level athlete.

That’s the most disappointing thing about the split pick. We went the athlete and he’s not outstanding in that regard despite looking the part.

Good news is that I’ve always liked Hewitt more.

Didn't you want to play Reid as a back pocket this year?

I said his secondary position should be back pocket or HBF

He had a good intercept mark on the backline against St Kilda which validates my opinion of it. Only think stopping Reid switching from mid/backline is his endurance.

Now since he has better endurance I do want that to be an option against since the ball these last few games isn't going to the forward line.

But in saying that I'm more then fine with how he's played I see no reason to move or switch him up.

Ginbey does seem more confident in the backline but that makes sense as that was his main position in his underage years.

Hopefully he can develop his midfield craft more (which he is fine at for a second year player) but for the meantime I'm not opposed to him spending more time in the backline.

Ginbey had 22 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles and 72% DE

Lets look at the performances of the rest of his draft class this week

Sheezel is streets ahead of anyone, complete gun

Wardlaw 19 disposals, 2 tackles 52% DE
Cadman 6 disposals, 1 mark, 1 goal
Ashcroft 20 disposals, 4 tackles, 50% DE
Tstatas didn't get a game
Humphrey 13 disposals, 3 tackles, 1 goal
Mackenzie didn't get a game
Clark didn't get a game
Phillipou injured
Hollands 17 disposals, 1 tackle, 1 goal, 70% DE
Fletcher 10 disposals, 4 marks, 0 tackles

Do we think maybe some are judging this kid way too harshly?

I don't think Gaff's ever been flamed for being a one way runner. More for his hold up of play and severe deterioration of foot skills he had in his prime.
Also, he is just too slow now to get to contests. He and Sheed are the same, they try hard but their deteriorating pace hurts our team defence.

He was excellent on the weekend down back. Composure and belief seems to be growing.

Very confused as to why Schofield shifted him into the midfield late ahead of Culley or Chesser.

Schofield acknowledged this in his presser. Said he was performing well down back but nothing was working mid, so they put him there to try something different.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back