News Welcome Shaun Hampson - Video Interview on the RFC Website 30/10/2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear everyone who is saying he isn't worth pick 28 but is worth a mid 30s pick.
At that stage of the draft it is down to clubs taking the players that they feel may fill a need rather than drafting for talent like you would in the top 20.
It is very much hit and miss at this stage, you may get a project player who turns out to be nothing, you may get a gem later on who turns out to be great. People acting like we threw away a guaranteed talent are kidding themselves, have a look at our selections around this mark in the last few years.
He's got his knocks but so did Maric, Houlli and Grigg.

Oh, and we DONT HAVE A PICK IN THE MID 30s to give up, that's why we gave 28!!!

We needed a ruckman. If you think we paid overs, name a better player that we could realistically obtained for less.

I like it.
Vickery stays as a forward and hopefully he can get back to his 2011 form and kick 40+ goals.
This helps Maric, which will help him ruck to his best.
Hampson is actually a decent ruckmen and he could overtake Mullett in a few years.
Plus we get Megan Gale :thumbsu:

Dear everyone who is saying he isn't worth pick 28 but is worth a mid 30s pick.
At that stage of the draft it is down to clubs taking the players that they feel may fill a need rather than drafting for talent like you would in the top 20.
It is very much hit and miss at this stage, you may get a project player who turns out to be nothing, you may get a gem later on who turns out to be great. People acting like we threw away a guaranteed talent are kidding themselves, have a look at our selections around this mark in the last few years.
He's got his knocks but so did Maric, Houlli and Grigg.

Oh, and we DONT HAVE A PICK IN THE MID 30s to give up, that's why we gave 28!!!

Actually our pick 28 after compensation picks would have been pick 31. So everyone should be pleased

im pretty happy with this trade. I think our club is at a stage where we need to top up with experience. we cant afford to draft a young ruckman and wait for him to gain experience. We need to strike while the iron is hot. a young ruckman wont be ready to make an impact in 1-2 years like the rest of our list. Hampson is a decent player and i think this could work out to be a good trade for us. Make no mistake our list isnt poor anymore or 1st rounder wont be playing regular games next year unless they are something special

Our recruiters would've obviously realized there wasn't too much talent available at pick 28, so by going after Hampson for this pick it would benefit a team a lot more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome Shaun.
We've been bagged for our recruiting every trade period over the last 3 years.
Chaplin - Dud
Grigg - Dud
Houli - Dud

:rolleyes:

Let's hope you are also a dud!
To be fair a lot here still dislike the last two... Personally still not a fan of Grigg but that's for another thread.

pick.28 confirmed. Feel like we dodged a bullet there. Billy Longer come on down to Glenferrie young man.

You dodged another bullet by us not taking Chapman. Imagine how much we would own you with that guy on our list?

Ive always like Shaun, has amazing mobility for a guy his size. At times looks like he could do anything but then goes missing a fair bit. I think he needs to be no.1 ruckman to really excel. So over the next couple of years he'd be hoping to take Maric's spot.

Can take a good mark and is normally an ok set shot. He was a late comer to footy starting at 16 i think so is still quite raw. But if his development quickens i think he could be a real good ruckman/fwd.

pick 28 is a good deal for him in what is a shoddy draft.

Reiterating some of the concerns that Richmond supporters have voiced in here that second rounder for Hampson is overs. Hawks and Tigers were both vying for the attention of Longer and im pretty please we look to have come up trumps. For your sake I hope i'm wrong and Hampson.
Well it may be that you have a nice big hole in your cap after Buddy left and we dont, pick 28 for a reasonably good ruckman and a good contested mark at 25 years of age is good business, he cant kick but he is just what we needed as a solid backup to Maric.

You could change this thread to a Welcome Grigg Houli Maric title and the same things would be getting posted by most of the same posters.

Dont rate him but by all means, I wish him the best of luck and hope he proves me wrong. Certainly has the physical attributes to be a presence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back