Toast Welcome to Carlton Sam Docherty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries and lack of athleticism like Rhys O'Keeffe who can play.

Laidler and Roket can kick.

Duigan was more like Teague.

You're love for ROK is continues to puzzle me.
Aside from that left peg of his, I just don't see what you see.

I didn't give two shits for your Teague comparison and system comment that doesn't represent the Laidler we had in 2011. Was a lot better than Teague who was a battler playing for a rabble.

Yes Laidler was good in 2011, but was it really that good or we just didn't have massive expectations for him? Don't seem to remember him polling high in the BnF from memory, where did he finish that year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he is VERY happy to be at Carlton, loves the Blues

And very happy to be out of the Lions

Boys club, clique, young guys where on the outer...

Welcome Sam Doc :thumbsu:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-31/lions-considered-grant
"Carlton was sitting there saying, 'we'll give you a third-round pick' [for Docherty].
"We were able to generate a bit of competition because we did have interest in Jarrad Grant.
"That (the Bulldogs' offer) sharpened up Carlton's offer," Kerr said.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-31/lions-considered-grant

Ha, shrewd operators up north. Clutching at straws to claim the outcome as any sort of victory on their behalf. If I was a Lions supporter, I'd be questioning why they couldn't get the pick we sent Sydney's way when the Everitt deal would have gone ahead with either or.

I put it in a similar boat to David Teague. Had a year where they played out of their skins, in a system that fit perfectly (system part especially for Laidler). Passed by better players in the pecking order.

I dont think that Laids was actually passed by better players... I think that his 3 knee injuries last year slowed him down by a yard and caused him to lose confidence in it.

And when you lose confidence, it affects your form and it all went pear-shaped from there!

I dont think that Laids was actually passed by better players... I think that his 3 knee injuries last year slowed him down by a yard and caused him to lose confidence in it.

And when you lose confidence, it affects your form and it all went pear-shaped from there!

That's a fair call, and without knowing how much those knee injuries affected him, its difficult to know for sure. He was never particularly quick or agile before the knee injury, so it definitely wouldn't have helped his cause.

While he was out, players like Walker and Simpson both moved into the backline. Walker especially showed what we didn't get from Laidler, those long runs out of defence and good dual sided clearances from 50. McInness has shown he can do a very similar role in the backline and he's definitely more athletic and younger, so they've obviously chosen gone with the guys who can improve upon what they've already shown. Tuohy took his game up another level with much improves defensive efforts and added those awesome 60m goals with great regularity.

Throw in a young Bootsma & a Simon White, Laids just ran out of room unfortunately.

Just passing on a convo I had with an acquaintance last night, top fella, wouldn't speak shit and just so happens he's a MASSIVE Lions fan….

I started getting stuck into him about Doc…went down like a lead balloon…very upset at losing him, said wait a season and he'll be an absolute ripper.

SBYM approves.

Welcolme to carlton "the doc!" 10 year player for us.... Win! Capable of breaking lines, lethal thumping right boot, physically strong for size, confident mentality and WANTS to play with his idols! Best wishes for your pre season and fitting in at the club asap. Go get em "doc!" Midfield beckons in future, but hows his tank? Team him up with 1AW as if he can run like walks soon enough...scary!

He is still only very young so we have to give him time.
Lets hope he is treated better than Hendo was in his first year, although most of it was because he was seen as a Fev replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Carlton Sam Docherty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back