Toast Welcome to Carlton Sam Docherty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Carlton Sam, wishing you a stellar career in the Navy Blue.

I have to say I have never heard of you and would not know who you are if I bumped into you. That said I will be looking forward to your debut for us next season!

I love people like you Jock... your blind inability to accept that everyone recruited by us has talent... it is up to the club to ensure that those players fulfill their promise and potential as footballers.

But no... people like you seem to want to sink the slippers into our own players every chance you can get and eventually when they are forced out, you happily stand on your soapbox banging your chest proclaiming that you were eventually proven right and that they were crap because we got rid of them.

I would love to see a return to the days when we could have a senior side, a reserves side and an under-19s side and there was less pressure on kids to come into the club and start performing instantly to make you feel good.

To be honest, back in the 70s and 80s when I was growing up, there was rarely any player who came in and made a serious impact on the game until they were 21 or 22 years old. But these days, we are expecting 17 and 18 year old kids to rock up to the club after draft day and suddenly start playing like someone who is 4-5 years older.

And even then you might get a kid like Daniel Rich who comes into their club and makes an impact, but then seems to disappear the year after because the other clubs have had a good look at him at AFL level and have worked out how to play against him. But it isnt the clubs fault or the players fault that second year blues occur... it's just the playing field being leveled against someone who was an unknown quantity.

I don't stick it to all our players at all thanks for your broad ranging assessment though, I support all our players for a good period, you have to give them a chance to develop their bodies, get used to the pace and tempo of afl. Once they have had a few years, longer for ruckman and key position players in my view they either make it or they don't. Until they have had the fair go, look see period and a little extra time for injuries they have my full support. Check out my support for the much maligned Lucas and Watson if you like, as I appreciate they are in their development phase period to see if they are going to make the grade or not and deserve our support until then. What I hate is when we keep players on our list for too long. O'Keefe, Joseph and Hampson are examples of players who had ample time to lock down their spot on our list and just didn't. By keeping them for so long we didn't get development into other players that may just well have been in our best 22 by now and made us a stronger side that would be closer to a 17th tilt. I'm all about the big picture and what is best for the club.
I'm also not blind as you suggest to the fact we may get some draft picks with varying talent. Players get a hell of a lot of support from line coaches and development coaches these days as we should provide to give them the greatest chance of succeeding for our club. But if the don't make the grade after a reasonable period they must be moved on as Malthouse has quickly done or you are clogging you list.
Lastly no soap box, just sticking to the facts as originally stated Docherty for predominantly a Northern Bullants player is a cracking deal no matter what way you look at it. I haven't got my chest out in fact quite gutted we got such a poor return from a number 18 draft pick and seven season, nothing to be celebrating, it's not personal, disappointing for the player no doubt but far more disappointing for the club and supporters when after drafting a player and putting so much time and development into them they don't make it.

I don't stick it to all our players at all thanks for your broad ranging assessment though, I support all our players for a good period, you have to give them a chance to develop their bodies, get used to the pace and tempo of afl. Once they have had a few years, longer for ruckman and key position players in my view they either make it or they don't. Until they have had the fair go, look see period and a little extra time for injuries they have my full support. Check out my support for the much maligned Lucas and Watson if you like, as I appreciate they are in their development phase period to see if they are going to make the grade or not and deserve our support until then. What I hate is when we keep players on our list for too long. O'Keefe, Joseph and Hampson are examples of players who had ample time to lock down their spot on our list and just didn't. By keeping them for so long we didn't get development into other players that may just well have been in our best 22 by now and made us a stronger side that would be closer to a 17th tilt. I'm all about the big picture and what is best for the club.
I'm also not blind as you suggest to the fact we may get some draft picks with varying talent. Players get a hell of a lot of support from line coaches and development coaches these days as we should provide to give them the greatest chance of succeeding for our club. But if the don't make the grade after a reasonable period they must be moved on as Malthouse has quickly done or you are clogging you list.
Lastly no soap box, just sticking to the facts as originally stated Docherty for predominantly a Northern Bullants player is a cracking deal no matter what way you look at it. I haven't got my chest out in fact quite gutted we got such a poor return from a number 18 draft pick and seven season, nothing to be celebrating, it's not personal, disappointing for the player no doubt but far more disappointing for the club and supporters when after drafting a player and putting so much time and development into them they don't make it.

Put lines between your sentences bro. Headache to read!

Well Pearce Hanley and Tom Rockliff have fired off at the young guys leaving, calling them Mummy's boys amongst other things. We'll need to man up against the Lions next year and have Doc's back. If that is how senior players treat their youngsters, we might have found the real reason for the exodus.

Well Pearce Hanley and Tom Rockliff have fired off at the young guys leaving, calling them Mummy's boys amongst other things. We'll need to man up against the Lions next year and have Doc's back. If that is how senior players treat their youngsters, we might have found the real reason for the exodus.
Yep, they sound like a couple of bullying throwbacks that's for sure. Pathetic. If my mother was alive I'd be happy to say I loved her and needed her in my life. If that makes me a mummy's boy, so be it. Also, it is what it is.

It's more than being homesick. It's also about having a sense of family while you are up there. That is why young interstate recruits live with staff members and their families or experienced players initially. The older guys and the regular senior players are supposed to work with you for the betterment of the side. The Lions do have a lot of young players competing for the same spots though, so it's not always possible. Brown for all his friendly larrikinisms, is from the have a spoon of cement and HTFU school. Maybe they left because Voss left. We saw a couple of players lose their way this year under a new coach. Change does just that ... it changes things, including mindsets. Maybe Voss was part of the problem and Vossy's favourite players contributed to that problem. To have 5 young guys decide they want out at the same time suggests it is more than homesickness. Brisbane fans are calling them gutless for using that excuse, but if the truth is something else, the guys leaving have done them a favour PR wise by calling it something else and thanking the club for their time there. Not sure you want to poke that bear.

I guess I'd be miffed if an exodus like that happened at Carlton, and I might want to make accusations and point the finger too. Doesn't mean I'd be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know one of the young Lions players who left.
Its a really difficult environment up there. Most of these players have come from traditional footy states and have moved to a state where footy is no where near the number one sport.
When these young players are not playing in the seniors they play in a competition that is pretty sub standard compared to the VFL, SANFL and the WAFL.
Homesickness is definately part of the problem but there is more to it, including poor player welfare programs.

The senior Lions would want to change their attitude. This sort of alienation of the younger kids by the senior players is exactly the reason most of them left.

Could also be an interesting year for these two, neither strike me as hard men of the AFL!? :eek: :thumbsdown:

So there was some mention of the Doc being a bit aggro - is that right?

He looks like a small, nice-young-man type.

Would be a tremendous bonus if he was a bit of a bastard and had some aggro and spunk about him.

We need more guys who annoy the opposition, start melees, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Carlton Sam Docherty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back