Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

That defence worked so well for Gaff.
worked at making eagles fans believe they were free of a guilty conscious for supporting the sniping thug. worked at making them feel at good cheering for gaff in the future. Made eagles fans forgive within hours of a behind the hit play that caved in an 18 year olds jaw.

The jury is the players around the incident - not a single player even flinched.

I would expect a fight to ensue if it was a malice incident.

Presumably the basis for the challenge would be downgrade to careless from intentional? I'd say that looks stupid and careless.
I hope we're also trying to plead exceptional circumstances to get the weeks of penalty applied pre WAFL season commencing
Do the WAFL Tribunal rules allow for downgrading the charge? Trying to remember if I've ever seen the AFL tribunal downgrade the offence. Seems like it's more a guilty of the charge laid or free to go thing.

I do feel sorry though for the first person to be Cohunard in the West!!
For me it looks as if he was using the momentum of his swinging arm get in a better tackling position.
Pretty reckless movement but not an intentional strike. No footage of head contact at all from him.
Im a bit biased but there is not enough proof that the big C was the cause of the concussion.

Isn't this the typical shuey tackle... except shuey also dives onto player with a swinging arm "trying to dislodge the ball"

The players reaction around the incident is interesting. Having said that it looks like he is gone.

I can't see the video because I refuse to subscribe to the West, but the still frame looks like a typical Shuey/Selwood method of dropping the knees. Have been waiting for years for someone to knock their block off like this. It's their own fault if they get knocked out as far as I'm concerned.

Should be able to argue it down from intentional to careless/reckless (or whatever term they use now) and drop a week off.
No paywall.

Grey's movement would have been very difficult to anticipate in all that. Brady's sudden lurch downwards occurs simultaneously as the movement of the tackle reached the moment of no return.

He was just trying (poorly) to execute a strong tackle and Grey dropped to his knees and caused the high contact. Calling it an intentional strike is laughable.

Is it correct that Perth have instigated this investigation? Poor form in my opinion for something which didn't seem to bother the players/umpire who saw it up close.

To not be available for AFL until Round 4 or 5 would be farcical. Rules might be rules, but they should be changed (or exceptions made) if there is clearly an issue with them.

A helpful fact is how low Treacy had his arm. It was kept well and truly out of the zone where you'd reasonably expect the head to be if the player with the ball hadn't rapidly slipped over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expect him to get off based on that footage

But there is a bit of a hype around outcomes and concussions and then need to work in the W.A club factor

If that is the only vision then there is no way the tribunal can come back with a guilty verdict. If they do, the club could take it further and get a not-guilty verdict as there is no way that footage would come back with a guilty verdict in a court of law. It is so inconclusive and raises so many doubts that you can't justify a guilty verdict.

I'm going to put this out there early so we can cut the ridiculous comparison to some coward punching 0 premierships no courage player. There is a very clear difference and I wouldn't put it on DanWa to see it being an eagles supporter, but in the instance the BALL IS ACTUALLY INVOLVED and not 15 metres away off the play. One action is in the spirit of the game to get the ball and tackle the opponent, while the other one doesn't even need explaining. So please don't bring it up, or I will quote you, and I will make fun of you. #endrant.

Very silly action by Treacy though, if he keeps tackling like that it will only be a matter of time he gets suspended again. Without a doubt though he had no idea Grey was ducking and he was already instigating the action to crunch him. He must be a scary prospect to have tough nut Brady Grey ducking in front of him.
Think he is very unlucky but probably deserves a week for it.

Taking the purple goggles off.........maybe I am putting them on :) :) :) Watch the video again and pause it a couple of times. My purple goggles tell me that Josh's right arm is clearly under Brady's armpit which indicates that he did not hit him in the head and rather the force of being hit by a Mack truck is what concussed poor old Brady. My god does Josh hit hard, is the technique with the swinging arm good, no it isnt, but i think that they will argue that Josh tackled with great intent and did not make contact with Brady's head. Did the concussion occur when Brady's head hit the turf, more than likely. This old fart reckon's we may just get off this one, if not reduce down to one and given the clean record he may get off
:):):) Let's hope so

Josh Treacy ban: Why careless conduct is a more realistic charge than intentional
Headshot of Craig O'Donoghue

Craig O'DonoghueThe West Australian
Tue, 16 March 2021 1:39PMComments
When Fremantle challenge forward Josh Treacy’s striking report at the WAFL tribunal tomorrow night, expect them to argue that his tackle on Brady Grey wasn’t intentional and point to the Perth star slipping to prove their point.

Treacy was charged with intentionally striking Grey during the pre-season clash and the incident was also classified as high contact and medium impact.

Given Grey was concussed, there’s no way of arguing down the other two classifications. In fact, Treacy should be considered fortunate for it to not have been called high impact considering Grey sat out the remainder of the game.

But to suggest Treacy laid that tackle with the intention of hitting Grey in the head ignores the video evidence.
Both of Treacy’s arms are below head height when he starts his tackling action. It is only when Grey loses his balance and stumbles that the Docker forward’s swinging arm technique causes the problem.
Josh Treacy’s arm is below head height when the tackle starts

Josh Treacy’s arm is below head height when the tackle starts
While Fremantle would love to plead not guilty to the entire charge, that swinging arm will make it hard to argue he wasn’t careless, and simply trying to have it downgraded is the most likely result.
Expect Fremantle’s legal team to show freeze frame images of the tackle to highlight the height disparities throughout the split second tackle.
Treacy’s arm remains at the same level, but Grey’s head lowers as he slips

Treacy’s arm remains at the same level, but Grey’s head lowers as he slips
If successful at pleading the charge down to careless, Treacy would then receive a one-match ban instead of a two-game suspension.
But that would only lead to further arguments about how the ban should apply to AFL. Peel’s opening game of the season isn’t until April 2. Fremantle are playing against Melbourne on Saturday and Treacy was tipped to debut.
Treacy makes contact and collapses on top of a slipping Grey

Treacy makes contact and collapses on top of a slipping Grey
AFL and state league rules are clear that players cannot compete at any level until they have served the suspension in the competition the offence occurred in.
Fremantle will most likely argue there are exceptional and compelling circumstances for a different penalty to apply if Treacy is found guilty. The issue of how to adequately apply suspensions across competitions operating under different fixtures has long been a problem.
Beau Maister’s two-match WAFL suspension in 2009 extended into more than a month on the sidelines from AFL due to byes.
Western Bulldog Jack Redpath received an extra week’s penalty in 2018 after playing in a VFL practice match on the same weekend as his AFL team played in round one. Redpath wasn’t eligible to play for the Dogs in round one due to a suspension from the previous season and the decision to play in a practice match cost him dearly.
The WAFL would set a huge precedent if they changed the rules for Treacy and that’s a battle Fremantle are going to find difficult to win.

worked at making eagles fans believe they were free of a guilty conscious for supporting the sniping thug. worked at making them feel at good cheering for gaff in the future. Made eagles fans forgive within hours of a behind the hit play that caved in an 18 year olds jaw.
Somehow you still haven’t convinced me about doing it.

On top of that not one Perth player had a crack at Josh, and given where the umpire ran in from he had clear view as well.

Be positive every one, Josh will play round 1 and tear Melbourne a new one, a star is born;)

I think they will argue the arm didn't cause the injury, rather it was an accidental knee or Grey's head hitting the ground. Furthermore, they can argue the arm swing was part of the tackling action, not an attempt to strike. If the tribunal can't conclusively say the hit was intentional along with doubt about the cause of the concussion then he could get off. He'd be extremely fortunate because it was a crude tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back