Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

He will get his debut this year.

Another great outing minus conversion. Such a presence in the air and does the dirty things defensively.

Could be a Mihocek type.
Go and find that goddamned lid and put it back.

I understand why some posters want Calsher to serve a decent apprenticeship at BH. However, the reality is that Gunston is offering very little. He is not hitting the scoreboard and exerts very little defensive pressure. Calsher Dear may not be ready for AFL but Gunston is well past it. Bring Calsher in and see how he goes. I am confident he will have a crack.

Last edited:
Debut him with the instructions "keep leading to create space for Chol and the other forwards".

No pressure to kick goals or get a heap of touches. Just helping the forwardline out through effort.

But of course if he does that he's probably going to end up on the end of a couple anyway.

Worst case he finds he's not ready for the level just yet, which no reasonable person could fault him for, and he goes back to Box Hill with first hand experience on where he needs to get to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have Calsher in now. Would be playing him infront of Gunston, who should be retired and Rama. He is already a better forward than Rama, has a football brain that Rama hasn’t, and can pinch hit ruck.

Calsher attacks the contest harder than any of our forwards, applies pressure better than our forwards. Bring him in.

I would have Calsher in now. Would be playing him infront of Gunston, who should be retired and Rama. He is already a better forward than Rama, has a football brain that Rama hasn’t, and can pinch hit ruck.

Calsher attacks the contest harder than any of our forwards, applies pressure better than our forwards. Bring him in.
I reckon he comes in when Lewis comes in.
Dogs backline isn't a bad one to come back in against, but I'd want him to have a couple big foils so that he ends up on Bramble or something like that.

I think he’s almost there, but not quite. I love the fact we’re letting his confidence grow weekly as part of a winning VFL team. In my opinion, give him another 5-6 weeks and then blood as a third tall (with Lewis back) against Richmond at the MCG.
It would negligent of us to ignore his amazing form for another 5-6 weeks.
IMO it would stall his development, not hasten it.

Expecting him to do any more than he is already producing before he debuts is pretty ridiculous.
No player ever has been asked to do more before a debut.

I find the hesitation on this board to be quite bizarre IMO.
Dear is a big lad already.
Get him in!

It would negligent of us to ignore his amazing form for another 5-6 weeks.
IMO it would stall his development, not hasten it.

Expecting him to do any more than he is already producing before he debuts is pretty ridiculous.
No player ever has been asked to do more before a debut.

I find the hesitation on this board to be quite bizarre IMO.
Dear is a big lad already.
Get him in!
He'll outperform Ramsden. Who is absolutely miles off it.

Some perspective. Tyler sellers kick 6 and had 15 possessions round 1 , followed by 3.3 and 12 in round 2. Then he was a complete liability when he played seniors. But We are so light on for talls we might not have a choice but to play him .

It’s all about growth for the Hawks here on in for 2024. Hopefully we can find a few more players of the future by giving them ago today.

At worse they get a match to learn what’s required in the AFL moving forward! Then back to VFL!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back