Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

I would also suggest he probably has a lot of work to do with regard to general experience, ie. Knowledge of running patterns and awareness of team mates. Great if you kick 4 goals, but if you cost a few goals with your lack of defensive knowledge, for example, then it doesn’t mean that much to the outcome.
Have you watched a VFL game this year?

A bit, only on the streams that the AFL website shows.
You can watch the whole VFL games online.

Calshers positioning and defensiveness does not look an issue.

Calsher behind two Hawks and an opposition defender marks the ball at the back.

Calsher in the ruck, opposing player got a free…. calsher smother his kick.

His leading at the footy looks really good.

However I do not know a lot about the forward leading patterns or the Hawks patterns. The ball was being locked into our 50
Forward arc and Calsher wasn’t colliding with fellow Hawks ( like Kosi use to ).

Calsher is also good below his knee….

However I do not know a lot about the forward leading patterns or the Hawks patterns. The ball was being locked into our 50
Forward arc and Calsher wasn’t colliding with fellow Hawks ( like Kosi use to ).

My suggestion is just based on not going through the elite pathways and not having played all that much as a teenager. I would imagine he would have missed a lot of team awareness and craft knowledge in that time which would make a big difference to the team structure. Not saying that he doesn’t tackle hard or bust a lung, just that he doesn’t run to the right places when he’s not in the frame for a kick, for example. There is likely some serious learning going on behind the scenes with all that stuff, because he is definitely showing that he has got the skills.

Having said that, I really don’t know much about it either, it’s just me speculating. I do, however, know that these skills are especially important for KPFs as the team structures around them.

My suggestion is just based on not going through the elite pathways and not having played all that much as a teenager. I would imagine he would have missed a lot of team awareness and craft knowledge in that time which would make a big difference to the team structure. Not saying that he doesn’t tackle hard or bust a lung, just that he doesn’t run to the right places when he’s not in the frame for a kick, for example. There is likely some serious learning going on behind the scenes with all that stuff, because he is definitely showing that he has got the skills.

Having said that, I really don’t know much about it either, it’s just me speculating. I do, however, know that these skills are especially important for KPFs as the team structures around them.
Premature speculation.

From what I have seen of him, he is what is commonly referred to as a "natural footballer". This means that he already knows what do do on the field to have be best impact. He doesn't have to learn leading patterns, defensive responses or structures because they are already automatic. He will keep learning of course but he is not like a lot of modern footballers who are athletes first and then have to learn how to make effective use of their athleticism on the field. With Calsher it looks the other way around. He knows how to play footy - it is now a matter of building his athleticism. His ceiling will be determined by his capacity to build strength, endurance and speed not by learning the game.

From what I have seen of him, he is what is commonly referred to as a "natural footballer". This means that he already knows what do do on the field to have be best impact. He doesn't have to learn leading patterns, defensive responses or structures because they are already automatic. He will keep learning of course but he is not like a lot of modern footballers who are athletes first and then have to learn how to make effective use of their athleticism on the field. With Calsher it looks the other way around. He knows how to play footy - it is now a matter of building his athleticism. His ceiling will be determined by his capacity to build strength, endurance and speed not by learning the game.
He is a natural, he's just raw and light like you say.

He was kicking bags of 9, 10 and 12 goals last year when not at Sandy for the Beaumaris Sharks.

I got asked today who I thought Charlie Curnow played like ......I said Calsher Dear 😁

What I like about Calsher and his future, is his defensive elements. It is difficult to teach this. I am relieved he first, understands it and second, understands how to do it. Naturally.

Last edited:
They literally sit there for 10 mins with the rotations.
Maybe you should watch the interchange monitor on the afl site during a match. It would really help your perspective on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100 percent.

Steady, obvious improvement till now points to him being an AFL level talent who needs early games. Forwards who move like him are usually high level draft picks, who debut early.

Plus, the Newcombe curve doesn’t lie, and he’s never dipped below it. Cracked record: he could have had 6 with a bit of luck vs. the Cats in rd. 3.

That he needs a few more games at VFL level is still a valid argument. But so is bringing him in now against a team without a strong key back.

Think he’s equal parts Lynch and Rough since folks are ok with comparisons now, though I can see the argument that he reads it like Curnow.

Pushing grown men around now at times, and was at tree trunk legs level even last year. Super powerful for his size, just like his old man.
Would love to see it but I think it’s well documented he’s fitness isn’t afl level. Needs pre seasons, I think on here it’s quoted that it took him all week to recover from his first few games. If he could play 2/3 games towards the end of the year against bottom sides, I think that would be a great result, then watch out next year after a full pre season

They literally sit there for 10 mins with the rotations.
No they don't.

Time on Ground for our 7 forwards last weekend was

Chol - 85% (68 / 80 minutes) - so 12 minutes bench time for the whole game
Gunston - 86% - similar to Chol
Ginnavin - 76% - but plays much higher - benched for 20 minutes the whole game
Hardwick - 81%
McDonald - 78% - similar to Ginnavin
Moore - 88% - similar to Gunston / Chol
Maginness - 85%

None of the guys spent more than 4 or 5 minutes on the bench at any given time.
The conditioning guys have the clock on them all when the come on/off and only the play being away from the bench prevents them all from having probably one rest / qtr on the pine for between 3 - 5 minutes max

Remember - AFL football intensity is far greater than VFL.

A young kid like Calsher who hasn't spent much time on his endurance running will take a decent amount of time to be able to develop into a realistic option in our front half. Not much different to DGB in that regard.

Everyone needs to calm down and be patient.

He’s played 4 games of VFL. His time will come.

Everyone needs to calm down and be patient.

He’s played 4 games of VFL. His time will come.
I know we're all looking desperately for a saviour, or at least a beacon of hope, but it's too early.

He won't be the saviour, but he certainly can be a great hope (and restore balance to the force) while developing at Box Hill.

I wouldn't be putting much stock in his performance against North's VFL team.

My gran would have kicked 4 against them, and she doesn't have any legs
No one else except your Nan and Box Hill have beaten them this year.

Would love to see it but I think it’s well documented he’s fitness isn’t afl level. Needs pre seasons, I think on here it’s quoted that it took him all week to recover from his first few games. If he could play 2/3 games towards the end of the year against bottom sides, I think that would be a great result, then watch out next year after a full pre season

I don't think many talls have the tank coming into their first season, and Calsher did say himself during an early interview that he wasn't aware of what it took to reach the fitness level required to play AFL. His tank is going to get bigger as the year progresses too, though he's probably going to need a break at some point if he's taking a full week to recover from games.

I'd still wager we see him this year if the performances keep stacking up. Maybe it's late like you say.

But we are a bottom side. It's not likely we'll have a great number of games that allow us to pick and choose who he comes in against if he continues this form or gets better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back