Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

The optics aren't good sometimes when the arms go out, but that's about it in terms of negative traits imo.

That mark he took when he presented for Sicily to hit up against the Saints epitomizes how good he can be when fit. He's not regarded by many as a super hard worker, but that was the type of thing only hard workers do.

Chad has it all, super hands, super creativity and the ability to kick freak goals. He is massively underrated in the toughness department too, but he is formidable there as well.

The idea he might occupy a pocket alongside the Wiz in our team is pretty tantalizing.

The one thing he hasn't had is a body that allows him to play every week.
Pardon my ignorance but who's the wiz ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

absolutely terrible, terrible news if scans confirm it's a rupture. just as he was starting to really enjoy his footy again and making a huge impact for us. i feel so sorry for the bloke, and if this is the last time he plays in a hawks jumper i feel sorry for us fans who may have been robbed of another 12 months+ of his magic.

It's customary to re-sign the player whilst they undergo re-hab, right?

Not saying he'll play again but I'd be very surprised if we don't sign (at least Rookie) him for 2024.

It's customary to re-sign the player whilst they undergo re-hab, right?

Not saying he'll play again but I'd be very surprised if we don't sign (at least Rookie) him for 2024.
If they’re under 25 - most definitely.

Between 26 - 30 - probably.

Unfortunately, this would have to be a 12+ month rehab which wouldn’t see him available until 2025, aged 32.

Roughy (24) A. Rocca (27) A. Swallow (26) all made it back eventually, but obviously they were younger and less injury prone.

It’s a tough call.

If they’re under 25 - most definitely.

Between 26 - 30 - probably.

Unfortunately, this would have to be a 12+ month rehab which wouldn’t see him available until 2025, aged 32.

Roughy (24) A. Rocca (27) A. Swallow (26) all made it back eventually, but obviously they were younger and less injury prone.

It’s a tough call.

I'd be more than happy to give Wingard a 12 month contract to let him get his body right if he was still keen on being an AFL footballer.

He's very much loved around the club and we need some wise older heads still to guide the youngens.

I'd be more than happy to give Wingard a 12 month contract to let him get his body right if he was still keen on being an AFL footballer.

He's very much loved around the club and we need some wise older heads still to guide the youngens.
Same. I want us to stand by him.

Well, I have been a vocal critic, but I really do hope that is not the way Chad Wingard's career ends. He has found some of his best form for us since the bye. I would be willing to give him one more contract. I hope he doesn't give up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back