Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

We can afford to do it, and we should it’s the right thing to do. It’s a culture decision that makes impact on group.
Give him 1 year contract. Let him rehab and make own decision at end of next year to where he is at. He is a mentor / coach for us next year.
Culturally it may hurt the club - delist Bennets or Sullivan? Keep someone on the list to never play again?

It is his choice to retire and he should do the right thing by us - and retire. We can help him with his rehab outside of that.

Shattered for him and terrible way to go out but you don't waste list spots in a rebuild which could potentially uncover a gem.

Culturally it may hurt the club - delist Bennets or Sullivan? Keep someone on the list to never play again?

It is his choice to retire and he should do the right thing by us - and retire. We can help him with his rehab outside of that.

Shattered for him and terrible way to go out but you don't waste list spots in a rebuild which could potentially uncover a gem.
Sam Mitchell doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.

He was willing to let go a Brownlow medallist and three time PCM winner, I doubt he would keep a player on the list who is probably not going to play again just for sentimental reasons.

Also Chad's done very well financially from the Hawks, he's probably been our highest paid player on average over his time at the club. I don't think we owe him anything in that regards.

I'm sure the AFLPA have provisions written into every contract for covering rehab costs and the like.

Could possibly delist and take on a coaching role for the year, that way he gets his rehab In, stays around the boys and provides leadership, also opens up a list spot and means we don’t have to delist a kid we aren’t too sure about. Could then be rookied end of next year if he wants to return to playing

Sad news about Wingard. Terrible way to end his career. I don't think he needs to stay on the list to get all the treatment and care he needs which I am sure he will get.
Thing is he actually provides a good amount of leadership off-field. I've seen him explaining scenarios etc. Effectively another coach
You'd hate to lose that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really unfortunate for Wingard.

I've no idea, but I wonder what was happening behind the scene? He might already be signed and we were waiting to release the news? Were we offering one year and his manager pushing for two? Were we talking to other clubs? Can be a hard game at times. Players value can go up with good games and plummet with an injury.

Hope he gets a coaching role or something. I fear an Achilles injury for a burst player like him doesn't spell good things. That with his other leg problems over the journey.

He's suffered a workplace injury. Whether he's listed or not he should be looked after through the rehab.
No doubt we will provide him with rehab support regardless of any decision on list spots.

If nothing else, the last 6 years have shown the club to be pretty pragmatic in list management / recruiting.

To some, the harsh reality of modern times may clash with our own sentiments - which is understandable.

I expect him to be delisted and if we think the last rookie spot is better spent on retaining him…..and he wants to stay…..then I’m all for it.

However, presuming his 2024 is wiped out, he himself may decide to move back to SA to set himself up at home. We can’t control that.

It actually makes things easier - there is no deal to be done & no big pay ask. He isn’t keeping someone out of the team.

It’s the right thing to give him a contract on respectful money & then he is a bonus option in 2025 if he is good enough and we are pushing for sept.

Seems a good bloke and clubman, hope we do the right thing by him.

Very sad for Chad and us but he will be rising 32yo by the time he rehabs from the injury.

I hope he retires because the game waits for no man.
Would be for the best.

Seems that if Chad tries to play "cautiously" as per earlier in the year he isn't AFL quality but when he throws caution to the wind and plays without reservation he is definetly AFL standard but his body can't hack it. Been the story his whole time at the Hawks unfortunately.

Achilles are absolute buggers as well, players in the mid 20s sometimes struggle to come back from them let alone players in their 30s with the kind of soft tissue injury history Chad has.

If he was going to be delisted, the injury is no reason to keep him - if Daniel Howe did his Achilles in his final game last year, are posters here suggesting that we should have kept him on the list for 2023? Ridiculous. The injury simply reaffirms how injury prone he is.

If he was going to be delisted, the injury is no reason to keep him - if Daniel Howe did his Achilles in his final game last year, are posters here suggesting that we should have kept him on the list for 2023? Ridiculous. The injury simply reaffirms how injury prone he is.
That was never going to happen.

Yes it's unusual logic to want to offer a notoriously injury prone player another year just after he has done an Achilles!

And even if he did come back it's like 99% certain the same pattern would reoccur (brief flurry of form followed by another soft tissue injury).

And as we have seen with Newk every spot in the list is valuable, you can't waste one in a sentimental play.

Really unfortunate for Wingard.

I've no idea, but I wonder what was happening behind the scene? He might already be signed and we were waiting to release the news? Were we offering one year and his manager pushing for two? Were we talking to other clubs? Can be a hard game at times. Players value can go up with good games and plummet with an injury.

Hope he gets a coaching role or something. I fear an Achilles injury for a burst player like him doesn't spell good things. That with his other leg problems over the journey.
I mentioned last week that there was a dude on twitter (LOL) that was claiming that he was being heavily chased by Melbourne. If this is career ending I have no qualms us helping him through his rehab but he doesn't seem the kind of guy to take a list spot if it meant someone else would be cut. Chad just isn't like that.

Terrible timing to get an injury was playing good footy, might be all over for Wingard as brutal as that sounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back