Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

too much emotion in here

he s a significant investment and I and all hawks people hope he comes good

with the pending Battle acquisition I fear 1 or 2 of Grainger and Phillips will be delisted

same with the smalls butler osullivan Bennetts .....I think at least 1 and perhaps 2 are gone unfortunately

given the investment I hope Grainger comes good
I don’t think we will be cutting too many TBH.

You have to make 3 changes minimum, but Chad and Gunner are almost inevitably retiring which means only one forced list change.

There’s also trading to be done - and probably minimal interest in DGB given he hasn’t been on the park until recently- but we may have others on the list who we might trade out instead.

I expect we could give him another year to hopefully “blossom” before we seriously consider delisting.

Meanwhile.....Calsh is 18
Ffs!!
Yeah, that's just a dumb comparison.
1. Calsher is playing in a position where we are severely under manned right now.
2. Most 18yo key position players are not playing regularly.
3. Denver doesn't need to be a gorilla, he can be a 3rd man but again goes into point 1. With Sis and Scrim already occupying those roles it's going to be hard for a 22yo player to overtake them just yet.

Let's give a 22 year old KP a bit more time to show his wares. Scrimshaw is 25 and only just recently has he found his position and the understanding of what it takes to be a senior footballer!! Us trying to lure Josh battle doesn't bode well for him, but depth is extremely important. What if one of scrim, Weddle or even sis get long term injuries and Denver is asked to do their job and has a great 10 week stretch in the seniors ?? These sort of things happen all the time in footy. I hope he does well and becomes a main stay in our side for years to come.

He's being told by the coaching unit to not do those things. It's been in the post game write ups frequently, he's being asked to stay on task and be accountable first.
Sounds like something they might have asked Frost to do too. Whether it was a coaching directive or his own initiative, or both, has worked brilliantly for Frost. Keep it simple, nail the basic task and progress from there. All for it - good on you, Denver.

Last edited:
Let's give a 22 year old KP a bit more time to show his wares. Scrimshaw is 25 and only just recently has he found his position and the understanding of what it takes to be a senior footballer!! Us trying to lure Josh battle doesn't bode well for him, but depth is extremely important. What if one of scrim, Weddle or even sis get long term injuries and Denver is asked to do their job and has a great 10 week stretch in the seniors ?? These sort of things happen all the time in footy. I hope he does well and becomes a main stay in our side for years to come.
I personally am not opposed to giving DGB one more year (probably rookie list him) but the comparison with Scrimshaw isn’t exactly correct.

When he was 22 (back in 2021) Scrimshaw played 20 games and averaged 20 disposals and 6 marks a game. I’m pretty sure he had a top ten finish in the PCM that year (top three in the Yabby as well I think for what that’s worth).

What I am saying is that at the same age Scrimmers was miles ahead as an AFL player compared to where DGB is right now as a VFL battler.

Like I said personally I’d give him a one year rookie contract but I can see this one going either way to be honest.

Never has there been so much energy wasted, by so many, on a player who has shown so little.

Whatever the club does I’m fine with, including delisting.
You will state something like this in here on a player that has had injuries and fitness issues but announce a VFL 3 gamer picked up in the MSD is the next Jesus?

I get DGB has had his issues but this is a shit statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never has there been so much energy wasted, by so many, on a player who has shown so little.

Whatever the club does I’m fine with, including delisting.

Never has there been a bigger gutless squib of a post, by a poster, who has shown so little.

Your post is a seriously steaming pile of over the top rubbish. I mean that in the nicest way. 😜

Have a lovely day.

I don’t think we will be cutting too many TBH.

You have to make 3 changes minimum, but Chad and Gunner are almost inevitably retiring which means only one forced list change.

There’s also trading to be done - and probably minimal interest in DGB given he hasn’t been on the park until recently- but we may have others on the list who we might trade out instead.

I expect we could give him another year to hopefully “blossom” before we seriously consider delisting.
You must have three open list spots going into the main draft. So we have to delist five, as we already have two extras (Phillips and Scaife). If we get Battle, then six.

What six would you delist before DGB?

You will state something like this in here on a player that has had injuries and fitness issues but announce a VFL 3 gamer picked up in the MSD is the next Jesus?

I get DGB has had his issues but this is a shit statement.
He’s done nothing.
If he’s was a mid round pick nobody would care.

As has been stated, if he wasn't a high draft pick, it'd be tough justifiying his retention. We all hoped those traits that had him so highly rated would become apparent at the level. They haven't. Unless he's afforded a senior game this year (& shines) you'd think he's in strife. Although he's a mid, Stephens has had injuries & minimal on field impact. Most have accepted his papers are stamped, yet for DGB we want to keep the faith.

Can’t see him getting a game in defence in the seniors anytime soon especially with potentially adding Battle in 2025.

If he gets another contract do we get him to spend the pre season training with the forwards and turn him into a Manic defensive key forward? We need another option in that Part of the ground with Lewis out for 2025

He’s done nothing.
If he’s was a mid round pick nobody would care.
He's not a mid round pick. He's a top ten and we do care. You just don't delist a top ten whose coming back from an injury and he's trying to find his feet again.

He's not a mid round pick. He's a top ten and we do care. You just don't delist a top ten whose coming back from an injury and he's trying to find his feet again.

Even before his injury DGB has shown very little in 4 years. If he has been dominating at VFL level and then got injured I’d agree you. The fact is he wasn’t dominating at VFL level.

I had hoped his run home this year may allow him to show his worth but so far i am not seeing it personally.

Even before his injury DGB has shown very little in 4 years. If he has been dominating at VFL level and then got injured I’d agree you. The fact is he wasn’t dominating at VFL level.

I had hoped his run home this year may allow him to show his worth but so far i am not seeing it personally.
He was decent for 2-3 games in 2022.
Showed some glimpses as a forward at Box Hill last season.

He's been ordinary at BH this season.
Nothing special at all.

Jai Serong has merited more support, yet DGB has 140 pages of discussion on his thread vs 14 pages for Serong.

He was decent for 2-3 games in 2022.
Showed some glimpses as a forward at Box Hill last season.

He's been ordinary at BH this season.
Nothing special at all.

Jai Serong has merited more support, yet DGB has 140 pages of discussion on his thread vs 14 pages for Serong.

Jai Serong seems to not need support. He’s on his way. Yet DGB maybe does. They’re people before footballers. We’re in the modern game now. Not JUST discarded like an inanimate object.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back