Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

He was decent for 2-3 games in 2022.
Showed some glimpses as a forward at Box Hill last season.

He's been ordinary at BH this season.
Nothing special at all.

Jai Serong has merited more support, yet DGB has 140 pages of discussion on his thread vs 14 pages for Serong.

Probably because posters like yourself and others, are not in the Jai Serong thread, constantly belittling him, or diagnosing him with medical conditions, all because he hasn’t lived up to lofty expectations.

Let the kid be, if the coaches decide to cut him loose at the end of the year so be it, if the coaches believe that he still has value, and want him to stay, so be it. The people that are working with him, have a far greater understanding of where he is at, than us simple supporters that just want a whipping boy.

Any chance he can turn into this era of players Schoey? Good bloke, reliable depth at either end and very good looking?
I like enough of what he brings to the team.
Good bloke and reliable depth I can get behind but let’s face it Schoey was/is miles ahead of DGB in the looks department 😅

That’s not a slight on DGB, just an acknowledgment that Schoey is in the words of Derek Zoolander “Really, really ridiculously good looking”.

Probably because posters like yourself and others, are not in the Jai Serong thread, constantly belittling him, or diagnosing him with medical conditions, all because he hasn’t lived up to lofty expectations.

Let the kid be, if the coaches decide to cut him loose at the end of the year so be it, if the coaches believe that he still has value, and want him to stay, so be it. The people that are working with him, have a far greater understanding of where he is at, than us simple supporters that just want a whipping boy.
I have not belittled him, nor was I part of the ADHD discussion.

Last edited:

I would love to see him succeed. Not because he was an early pick, but because he’s a HFC player.

I suspect he will be delisted and rookied depending on who comes in that will naturally be ahead of him at selection.

Box Hill Coach Zane Littlejohn has reviewed the performances of every AFL listed Hawk following their recent win against the Sandringham Zebras.​

Denver Grainger-Barras (5 goals, 11 disposals, 6 marks)

"The discussion ahead of the game was around keeping Denver forward and growing that area of his game, and he was able to contribute really well in the front half. He had some really good contested marking moments, he took three contested marks inside 50 which is a great reward. What we know with Denver is he is a beautiful kick of the footy so he was able to make sure he made the most of those opportunities he got. He'll continue to work on his craft as a forward and finding other avenues, rather than just the contested marking. He provides unbelievable energy. We love his competitiveness and what he's able to give."
This was the moment of hope for me.
He looks much better as a forward than a defender.
Not sure why we abandoned that experiment.

Here you go. You’ve done it twice on the last page before this one.
`
Here you go. You’ve done it twice on the last page before this one.
They are both examples of me criticising the obsession people have with a guy who has objectively underperformed since being drafted.

Football criticism of a footballer is fair game, no?
I have not resorted to personal abuse or remarks of that nature.
It's never been my style.

`

They are both examples of me criticising the obsession people have with a guy who has objectively underperformed since being drafted.

Football criticism of a footballer is fair game, no?
I have not resorted to personal abuse or remarks of that nature.
It's never been my style.
Why are you on here? Never has there been so much energy wasted, by so many, reading a poster that offers so little.

Whatever the mods do, I’m okay with, including deletion.

You’ve added nothing.

Let the kid be, if the coaches decide to cut him loose at the end of the year so be it, if the coaches believe that he still has value, and want him to stay, so be it.

Is it just Denver we can't discuss, or be unimpressed by....?
The overreaction to a poster expressing his complete lack of belief in a player is ridiculous.
It's done over and over again with players at our Club, with some being ok for shit cannery, and others not.
And often, very often, those players drop from our list in no short order.

DGB's draft pick number should have ZERO to do with any assessment on his football characteristics and abilities, and people can be right or wrong on their estimation of his worth as a player.

Think it's dumb on an opinion-not-facts discussion board to tell a poster he can't share his opinion on a players playing ability.
Not his character, we're not talking character here. We're talking football ability.
I mean, we're not talking about his personal worth as a human being here. We're talking football ability.

THUS FAR, the Chadmeister is entirely correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t be stuffed, ‘Little Flinch’ getting involved in the continued belittling of a hawthorn player.
Last comment from me, other than disagreeing with the negativity. Bye.

What are you doing on here if you can't be stuffed?
Disagreeing with negativity......by offering nothing but negativity.
Nice.

What are you doing on here if you can't be stuffed?
Disagreeing with negativity......by offering nothing but negativity.
Nice.

What Big Tony is doing on this forum and any poster and how many posts they have posted is irrelevant. They have offered they’re opinion and if you don’t understand it by now then I think you need to have a bex and a lie down.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What Big Tony is doing on this forum and any poster and how many posts they have posted is irrelevant. They have offered they’re opinion and if you don’t understand it by now then I think you need to have a bex and a lie down.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's their opinion? Just thumbsdowning every second post they don't like?
BTW, not a fan of Bex.

Last edited:
settle down ....it wasn't that horrendous it's just his/her opinion on the matter

"Never has there been so much energy wasted, by so many, on a player who has shown so little."

It was his opinion and it was horrendous. A hawthorn hater couldn't have done any better. If the club puts energy and time into one of it's own, i back the club. He's basically calling the club idiots and fools for investing their time in a player.

And, yes, he's entitled to have his opinion. I gave my opinion on his. You can like his opinion as much as you want.

"Never has there been so much energy wasted, by so many, on a player who has shown so little."

It was his opinion and it was horrendous. A hawthorn hater couldn't have done any better. If the club puts energy and time into one of it's own, i back the club. He's basically calling the club idiots and fools for investing their time in a player.

And, yes, he's entitled to have his opinion. I gave my opinion on his. You can like his opinion as much as you want.

I think Chad was talking about this forum, on DGB's thread, by our very own posters.
Not the Club.
At least that's the way I read it.

Is it just Denver we can't discuss, or be unimpressed by....?
The overreaction to a poster expressing his complete lack of belief in a player is ridiculous.
It's done over and over again with players at our Club, with some being ok for shit cannery, and others not.
And often, very often, those players drop from our list in no short order.

DGB's draft pick number should have ZERO to do with any assessment on his football characteristics and abilities, and people can be right or wrong on their estimation of his worth as a player.

Think it's dumb on an opinion-not-facts discussion board to tell a poster he can't share his opinion on a players playing ability.
Not his character, we're not talking character here. We're talking football ability.
I mean, we're not talking about his personal worth as a human being here. We're talking football ability.

THUS FAR, the Chadmeister is entirely correct.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism of a player. It does however get monotonous when the same posters are bumping this thread, when ever the stats sheet doesn’t flatter him, or he has a brain fade, or doesn’t play to their expectations. Yet remain silent on the good moments he does have. If constructive criticism is the defence of being biased, then it is no longer being constructive, it’s just being biased. In order to be constructive, the views has to be balanced, which for the most part currently it’s not.

I never told him, he can’t share his opinion, he is entitled to share his opinion. Just like others can share theirs. So I think your last paragraph is a moot point, despite your opinion that it is dumb.

While yourself and Cad may agree with each others opinion on DGB, I just happen to disagree, as while DGB has done some not so great/good things, he has also has done some good/great things as well.

Regardless of your view as to if he will make it or not, writing has to be on the wall at this point.

We have Sicily, Frost, Weddle, Scrimshaw, Blank, Serong and possibly Phillips all ahead of him in the backline at present. You then add McCabe, Battle and apparently now Barrass and we have too much of our list focussed on taller defenders.

37 players on a list, you can't be carrying 11 KPDs.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism of a player. It does however get monotonous when the same posters are bumping this thread, when ever the stats sheet doesn’t flatter him, or he has a brain fade, or doesn’t play to their expectations. Yet remain silent on the good moments he does have. If constructive criticism is the defence of being biased, then it is no longer being constructive, it’s just being biased. In order to be constructive, the views has to be balanced, which for the most part currently it’s not.
Spot on. It's tiresome. And pretty much the same on the autopsy thread when we lose.

I never told him, he can’t share his opinion, he is entitled to share his opinion. Just like others can share theirs. So I think your last paragraph is a moot point, despite your opinion that it is dumb.

While yourself and Cad may agree with each others opinion on DGB, I just happen to disagree, as while DGB has done some not so great/good things, he has also has done some good/great things as well.

No, that's totally cool.
My reference was not limited to your response but wider to a couple other posters who were telling Chad he should basically disappear because of his opinion.
I'm a fan of your postings, and happy to have others disagree with me....especially when they explain why.

This was the moment of hope for me.
He looks much better as a forward than a defender.
Not sure why we abandoned that experiment.
Yeah, everytime he did it at VFL last year it went well. At AFL level he struggled at times, I think Dear and Gunston have struggled in that role just as much this year too in some games. He was good forward against Melbourne last year too.

I still think he can be a good AFL player, but as a defender at Hawthorn, i'm not seeing who he could go past. Sicily, Scrimshaw and Weddle are ahead for the medium/3rd tall and i don't think he's going to be a gorila full back so Blank, Frost, Serong, Phillips hold those roles. There is probably a few sides that don't have many in this role that he could get a game at though. If you look at us, GWS and swans I think it's really the future of the defence these hybrid players with good disposal and speed who can play tall and small as opposed to 2 talls 3 smalls and a medium. Most sides are playing multiple medium talls.

However there is a spot for him forward with Lewis out and gunston unable to play every week.

Yeah, everytime he did it at VFL last year it went well. At AFL level he struggled at times, I think Dear and Gunston have struggled in that role just as much this year too in some games. He was good forward against Melbourne last year too.

I still think he can be a good AFL player, but as a defender at Hawthorn, i'm not seeing who he could go past. Sicily, Scrimshaw and Weddle are ahead for the medium/3rd tall and i don't think he's going to be a gorila full back so Blank, Frost, Serong, Phillips hold those roles. There is probably a few sides that don't have many in this role that he could get a game at though. If you look at us, GWS and swans I think it's really the future of the defence these hybrid players with good disposal and speed who can play tall and small as opposed to 2 talls 3 smalls and a medium. Most sides are playing multiple medium talls.

However there is a spot for him forward with Lewis out and gunston unable to play every week.

I like this idea but somehow don’t think it will happen sign him up if we can, and get him training with the forwards over summer and play him forward next year while Lewis is out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back