Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, it really was a near-perfect performance from Dylan. I only gave Day BOG because I thought he showed greater consistency, especially in the second half. Nonetheless, Dylan played one of the most dominant games I have seen from a half-forward and kicked two of the sweetest goals that I have seen.

He recorded statistics of: 131 SuperCoach points (2nd most), 26 disposals (= 4th) at 76.9%, 2 goals (= 2nd), 12 marks (2nd most), 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 528 metres gained (2nd most behind Amon), 2 goal assists (1st), 7 inside 50s (= 1st), and 9 score involvements (1st).

Overall, what a game! I'm sure that even Boomer Harvey would be proud of such a dominant game. Right now, in my opinion, he, along with Errol Gulden and Toby Greene, would be the best half-forwards in the game (Connor Rozee is primarily a midfielder now).

Last edited:
Well, it really was a near-perfect performance from Dylan. I only gave Day BOG because I thought he showed greater consistency, especially in the second half. Nonetheless, Dylan played one of the most dominant games I have seen from a half-forward and kicked two of the sweetest goals that I have seen.

He recorded statistics of: 131 SuperCoach points (2nd most), 26 disposals (= 4th) at 76.9%, 2 goals (= 2nd), 12 marks (2nd most), 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 528 metres gained (2nd most behind Amon), 2 goal assists (1st), 7 inside 50s (= 1st), and 9 score involvements (1st).

Overall, what a game! I'm not even sure that Brent Harvey ever had such a statistically dominant performance. Right now, in my opinion, he, along with Errol Gulden and Toby Greene, would be the best half-forwards in the game (Connor Rozee is primarily a midfielder now).
Harvey put up about 6 of those performances every year for 20 years.

It was a different game back then for Boomer, still a lot more 1-on-1 contests which became more zoned as he got older. Boomer was at his best when he was in the guts, not HFF like Moorey and that isn't trying to discredit Boomer or inflate the performance of Moorey, just different times and styles of play where the best, and Boomer was one of the best Rovers, could put up those numbers. It is much harder now as a HFF to do it, look at how infrequently that stat line happens these days.

Overall, what a game! I'm sure that even Boomer Harvey would be proud of such a dominant game. Right now, in my opinion, he, along with Errol Gulden and Toby Greene, would be the best half-forwards in the game (Connor Rozee is primarily a midfielder now).

Gulden has spent more time in the midfield than Moore too, having had 14, 12 and then 11 CBA's this season. I don't think Moore has had any yet.

Butters and Bailey have played a similar HFF role to Moore, though they've been much less effective.

It was a different game back then for Boomer, still a lot more 1-on-1 contests which became more zoned as he got older. Boomer was at his best when he was in the guts, not HFF like Moorey and that isn't trying to discredit Boomer or inflate the performance of Moorey, just different times and styles of play where the best, and Boomer was one of the best Rovers, could put up those numbers. It is much harder now as a HFF to do it, look at how infrequently that stat line happens these days.
Pretty much every side in modern plays a High HF, as an extra midfielder who pushes further up the ground, tries to lose his opponent and beat him on the way back to our forward line.

That’s Dylan’s role. It’s not really an old school small forward. He pushes up to the stoppages all the way up to D50. Hence he gets plenty more of the ball between the arcs.

It's so rare for a player to play purely as a HFF and be this effective.

CBA's for his contemporaries below.

Rachele - 9, 11, 18
Rankine - 4, 3, 0

Gresham - 8, 14, 11
Butler - 0, 0, 0

Butters - 10, 14, 4
SPP - 2, 4, 4

Gulden - 14, 12, 11
Papley - 5, 5, 7
Heeney - 0, 2, 1

ANB - 4, 0, 2
Pickett - 7, DNP, DNP

Bailey - 6, 2, 2
Zorko - DNP, 0, 1

Bolton - 11, 11, 8

Greene - 0, 6, 0

Fisher - 2, 0, 0

Miers - 0, 0, 0

Stephenson - 1, 0, 1

Boomer was an absolute freak. Looking back over his numbers he was incredible. So many absolutely huge games.

Even in his last year he was insane, really should have been able to go on.

Averaged 22 touches and 1.6 goals and in his last three games had 32 and 3, 26 and 2 and 25 touches.

Moore puts out Harvey’s output and we will be in a very good place.

Pretty much every side in modern plays a High HF, as an extra midfielder who pushes further up the ground, tries to lose his opponent and beat him on the way back to our forward line.

That’s Dylan’s role. It’s not really an old school small forward. He pushes up to the stoppages all the way up to D50. Hence he gets plenty more of the ball between the arcs.
That's a round about way to say what I was saying. Dylan is a HHF, not a dedicated midfielder and I was replying to a comment that Boomer got Dylan's stats 6 times a year for 20 years, much easier as a pure midfielder or when he was younger in a more open game.

It really is a different type of small forward. When people speak of small forwards I think of Cyril, Betts, etc. with their bags of tricks. Moore is a different breed. Nowhere near as flashy, just hard working, consistently finding a way to impact contests. Hell of a player. Great vice captain for Brockman to have supporting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope those involved read this, because I'm calling out Hawks Insiders for one of the worst takes I've ever heard on this week's player ratings podcast.

Dylan could use some time at Box Hill apparently.
There's also a chance that since he's a lower draft pick that we've already seen the best we're going to see from him (logic I'm not quite sure I comprehend).

So he's had two games not quite befitting his high standards. That's fine. It happens. But as little as one month ago he was the highest rated small forward in the entire competition! As little as 2 weeks ago he was being highlighted for the efforts seen a few posts above this one ^.

But off the back of 15 disposals and a behind perhaps it's time to shift our vice captain to Box Hill for... reasons. I assume the reasons aren't the 22 pressure acts either.

'Can't possibly considering dropping Wingard after collecting 17 disposals' though.

Nearly drove off the road when I heard all this.

It would have to be the first time since early 2021 that anything about Moore's game has even been questioned. I find most involved on that podcast to be pretty balanced the majority of the time but this absolutely stunned me.

I hope those involved read this, because I'm calling out Hawks Insiders for one of the worst takes I've ever heard on this week's player ratings podcast.

There's also a chance that since he's a lower draft pick that we've already seen the best we're going to see from him (logic I'm not quite sure I comprehend).

So he's had two games not quite befitting his high standards. That's fine. It happens. But as little as one month ago he was the highest rated small forward in the entire competition! As little as 2 weeks ago he was being highlighted for the efforts seen a few posts above this one ^.

But off the back of 15 disposals and a behind perhaps it's time to shift our vice captain to Box Hill for... reasons. I assume the reasons aren't the 22 pressure acts either.

'Can't possibly considering dropping Wingard after collecting 17 disposals' though.

It would have to be the first time since early 2021 that anything about Moore's game has even been questioned. I find most involved on that podcast to be pretty balanced the majority of the time but this absolutely stunned me.
Hawks Insiders... I probably don't need to listen to the podcast to know which of their contributors came out with this take.

Just think teams have put a lot more work into him, doesn’t get the freedom he once did.

Personally think his a midfielder long term that can go forward without needing a rest

I like their passion and I consume some of their content occasionally because it is good to hear Hawks talk but it's not a great podcast.
I don't think any of the guys have even played much local footy and probably lack the insight or knowledge to be rating a players game.
I think that's quite negative and it's silly to rate a players individual performance like that without any knowledge of their real role in the team etc.

Moore is one of our best players and half-forwards in the league. Yes, he hasn't been as impressive recently, but he's still getting involved up the ground and putting in good defensive pressure. Yes, I'd like him to get back to scoring in a similar vein to 2021 now that he's playing more forward, but the best have their down patches, and if it's really a down patch, it doesn’t feel like it, which probably shows how good he's become. If he doesn’t become a much better player than he is at the moment, then I'm fine with that, as he's already comfortably one of the best at what he does. His leadership and connections to the youngsters cannot be understated. So this is lunacy, in my opinion, from Hawks Insiders.

Our forward line has for the most part this season been like one big sack of lead. It has just varied across different weeks on who has been the biggest dead weight and Moore has been part of it too. But far from alone. It is the weakest part of our squad at present and hoping to see some improvement for the rest of the season now that Lewis is back it might help a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back