Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

His endurance, along with a few others in the side like weddle and cj, could absolutely be weaponised. To some extent it already is but it could be even more so an advantage for us. Love to see finn back in the side with more opportunity to play a ball winning roll.

Or we can play him as a sub :$

You know Ginnivan kicked 40 goals as a 19-year-old in 2022, yeah?

Can't say I saw much of him then and I can't say I understand what was going on then versus what is going on now. But he isn't even close to that at Hawthorn. The kid has problems kicking from 30 - 40 metres out directly in front and his snap shots tend to be balloons that he sprays around. Effectively, I don't see a player with a genuine goal sense. I have no idea what is going on. I'm not criticising him because he does other things well but he hasn't shown the traits of a productive goal kicking small forward that I thought the club had recruited.

Can't say I saw much of him then and I can't say I understand what was going on then versus what is going on now. But he isn't even close to that at Hawthorn. The kid has problems kicking from 30 - 40 metres out directly in front and his snap shots tend to be balloons that he sprays around. Effectively, I don't see a player with a genuine goal sense. I have no idea what is going on. I'm not criticising him because he does other things well but he hasn't shown the traits of a productive goal kicking small forward that I thought the club had recruited.

I see a player whose role has dramatically changed. I don’t have the stats, but my guess is he’s spending a much larger percentage of his time out of the forward 50, and covering dramatically larger KMs a game, meaning he’s a lot more tired when taking his shots at goal. This will improve as he adjusts to his role as his fitness base catches up.

Very excited to see what Jack becomes.

People have formed a perception of Maginness as being a rather dour player, but when he was played as a ball-winning mid in his junior years, he regularly hit the scoreboard and accumulated possessions.

Finn has a nose for the goals.
He kicked 4.4 this year from just 8 games.
He has kicked 8 career goals from 40 games and kicked 3 in one game (which he was very impressive in) it is a very big stretch to suggest he has a nose for the goals.

Finn can very much make it as a defensive minded midfielder, just as much as he could with his ability he’s shown to kick goals and to hunt the ball. Quick, strong and his ability to get arms up and hands off is first class. Works his absolute ass off, it’s only a matter of time for mine.
He'd be a perfect tag for a defender that rolled through the middle. If only such a player existed......

He has kicked 8 career goals from 40 games and kicked 3 in one game (which he was very impressive in) it is a very big stretch to suggest he has a nose for the goals.
A goal-kicking midfielder averages 0.5 goals per game.
As a hard tagger Maginness has got 0.2 per game.
So playing him as a high half-forward, perhaps even in a defensive role, should yield more goals too.

A goal-kicking midfielder averages 0.5 goals per game.
As a hard tagger Maginness has got 0.2 per game.
So playing him as a high half-forward, perhaps even in a defensive role, should yield more goals too.
I don’t agree a goal kicking mid averages 0.5 per game. Also Finn has spent time forward at times in his 40 games.

His VFL stats don’t show him as a massive goal kicker either.

Look maybe he shows he can be one in the future but on exposed form he hasn’t at all established himself as a threat around goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t agree a goal kicking mid averages 0.5 per game. Also Finn has spent time forward at times in his 40 games.

His VFL stats don’t show him as a massive goal kicker either.

Look maybe he shows he can be one in the future but on exposed form he hasn’t at all established himself as a threat around goals.
That's bc he's played as a hard-tagger, so that's what he focuses on.

You don't have to agree on the average for goal-kicking mids, the stats show 0.5 to be pretty close to the mark for the good ones.

His foot skills in previous years have let him down significantly. They may improve, it can be done. Conor Nash's kicking was woeful 3 years ago but it's now half decent for AFL level, granted he didn't grow up with a footy in his hands.

Finn has grown up with a footy, so I'd suggest improving his kicking is going to be much more difficult.

He has all the right tools, fitness, strength, elite endurance, can even mark overhead and his tagging ability is probably second to none in the AFL. However, in modern systems, coaches have spoken about how disruptive playing a tagger can be to a team's defensive structure.

I think if he can improve his disposal he'll be straight in. But his kicking needs to improve and fast.

His foot skills in previous years have let him down significantly. They may improve, it can be done. Conor Nash's kicking was woeful 3 years ago but it's now half decent for AFL level, granted he didn't grow up with a footy in his hands.

Finn has grown up with a footy, so I'd suggest improving his kicking is going to be much more difficult.

He has all the right tools, fitness, strength, elite endurance, can even mark overhead and his tagging ability is probably second to none in the AFL. However, in modern systems, coaches have spoken about how disruptive playing a tagger can be to a team's defensive structure.

I think if he can improve his disposal he'll be straight in. But his kicking needs to improve and fast.
It really depends on how much of a premium you put on kicking vs all the other aspects of being an AFL footballer.

Heck Nat Fyfe and Patrick Dangerfield are not exactly surgeons with the ball in hand and
they won three Brownlows between them!

Closer to home Brad Sewell was a club champion for the Hawks (and one of my all time favourites) and he basically hack kicked them forward out of packs all day long.

For me the thing that Finn needs to work on is finding a better balance between his offensive and defensive game at AFL level (similar issue that young Seamus is having). In essence get more disposals.

He has shown he can rack them up at VFL level, he just needs to show he can do the same at AFL level.

People need to stop confusing his goal kicking (which was woeful) with his field kicking.

1720832463680.png

People need to stop confusing his goal kicking (which was woeful) with his field kicking.

View attachment 2046722
Nash kicking efficency is 58%, which is below average for a mid. Was 63% and 62% two years prior which is just average. Kicking isnt his strength and has been poor this season even if he hasnt kicked helicopter punts.

Watching a bit of the Carlton v Bulldogs game and a player I have taken a real liking to is Alex Cincotta. He is a hard nut that has done such a good job nullifying and tagging but is getting more involved in general play and in the midfield. Coaches and fans love these types. I think this could be a blue print for Finn.

Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back