Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

His goals "dried up" because he played fewer games and spent less time on ground in the games he did play. Don't let that get in the way of your rant though.

Agree with that.
Drewry79 sounds like the bloke who, preseason, said that Conor Nash had reached his limited peak, had no potential, and should be delisted.

Ginnivan, a premiership 20 year old, will be a great addition to a forward line which (without Brockman and with Breust soon to retire) needs pace, enthusiasm and goal sense, especially under Sam's coaching.

Last edited:

His goals "dried up" because he played fewer games and spent less time on ground in the games he did play. Don't let that get in the way of your rant though.
Exactly, he wasn't getting a game because he was found to be a 1-trick pony. Thanks for proving my point.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I don't think he is half as good as many of you think. Time will tell

I agree with your sentiment and I believe he is a great trade and with some mentoring and maturity could be a very good player.

However, his goals did drop from 1 every 35 minutes on the ground in 2022, to a goal every 55 minutes on the ground in 2023. Some of that was to do with Bobby Hill coming in and kicking 33 and Ginnivan playing a bit further up the ground. But that was a drop-off. But he will have more opportunities at Hawthorn. Also great work for the pies to get Schultz.

Last edited:
Is anyone slightly nervous fellow Hawkers the desperation to get both Mabior Chol and Jack Ginnivan (we should only be doing this for absolute grade A not B+?), for multiple draft picks, and sending Brandon Ryan ala Burton-style
to Brisbane? Why on earth do we need Gunston now, he couldn't even make the Brisbane side?
Very happy to see this work out, but have a lot of PTSD from the Clarko-era Ty Vickery decisions...which
we are still paying for..

His games and his time on ground dried up because he wasn't kicking goals.

Exactly, he wasn't getting a game because he was found to be a 1-trick pony. Thanks for proving my point.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I don't think he is half as good as many of you think. Time will tell
I don't think anyone is saying he is a gun at all Drewy. But goals are goals, and some blokes know where they are and how to kick them, and we desperately need someone like that so worth a risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone slightly nervous fellow Hawkers the desperation to get both Mabior Chol and Jack Ginnivan (we should only be doing this for absolute grade A not B+?), for multiple draft picks, and sending Brandon Ryan ala Burton-style
to Brisbane? Why on earth do we need Gunston now, he couldn't even make the Brisbane side?
Very happy to see this work out, but have a lot of PTSD from the Clarko-era Ty Vickery decisions...which
we are still paying for..
I would have though surely Fages will let us have Gunners for nothing since we basically let Brissie have him for nothing - 2022P48, which was not used, and 2023R4 (~P60) not likely to be used. But they let Tom Fullarton go so are lacking tall forward back ups.

If we get him for nothing then yes he is more than worth it as an onfield coach which our forward line is screaming out for. And no way give up Sticks.

May I post in your forum?

You've got a footballer here. A1 footy brain, up there with Pendles and Johnson for quick thinking and generally has sound all around decision making.

He blazed to the game as a forward pocket and despite annoying the umps kicked loads of goals as a skinny slow forward pocket.

Lost his spot to Bobby Hill and the resting Mitchell/Adams combo, so despite improving fitness and strength played less games.

Came back as a defensive mid (not tagger, more like a centre square winger hybrid) and pushed Lipinski out so grew a heck of a lot as a player.

Only 20, will get stronger and faster, will never be a bull but neither is Sidey. He's sort of a mini Sidebottom In a way, just less PG13. Good goal sense, clever mark, great handball, working on his foot passing, too easily brushed aside in packs but again making up ground.

Off field is the knock. He was not traded for footy reasons, somethings gone down possibly video related, I have no mail but he has form.

He's not a Milne or a Heuskes, just a smart arse. If you can put up with that you've got a quality player who is smart, annoys the enemy and does the odd sensational bit of play.

The basics are there in his quick brain and in 2 seasons he learned and improved massively. Sad to see him go, the cheers that went up every time he came on were thrilling.

You've got a footballer here. A1 footy brain, up there with Pendles and Johnson for quick thinking and generally has sound all around decision making.

He blazed to the game as a forward pocket and despite annoying the umps kicked loads of goals as a skinny slow forward pocket.

Lost his spot to Bobby Hill and the resting Mitchell/Adams combo, so despite improving fitness and strength played less games.

Came back as a defensive mid (not tagger, more like a centre square winger hybrid) and pushed Lipinski out so grew a heck of a lot as a player.

Only 20, will get stronger and faster, will never be a bull but neither is Sidey. He's sort of a mini Sidebottom In a way, just less PG13. Good goal sense, clever mark, great handball, working on his foot passing, too easily brushed aside in packs but again making up ground.

Off field is the knock. He was not traded for footy reasons, somethings gone down possibly video related, I have no mail but he has form.

He's not a Milne or a Heuskes, just a smart arse. If you can put up with that you've got a quality player who is smart, annoys the enemy and does the odd sensational bit of play.

The basics are there in his quick brain and in 2 seasons he learned and improved massively. Sad to see him go, the cheers that went up every time he came on were thrilling.

Very funny post!

My mate Andy rang me today and asked “hey, Davo, what was the name of the player you were happy would never play for the Hawks?”

Ginnivan just plays up to the crowd, nothing more to his game.

Indeed. With both Chol and Ginnivan, the risks are that their 40 goal seasons are similar in that the goal tallies were the only impressive aspects. Even more so that they weren't backed up in any significant way.

In 2022, amongst small/medium forwards, he was:

7th for Frees For
9th for Goals

but also...

39th for Player Rating
36th for Score Involvements Per Game
64th for Goal Assists Per Game
47th for Pressure Acts Per Game
49th for Ground Ball Gets Per Game
61st for Tackles I50 Per Game
66th for Tackles Per Game

Ginnivan is a good get, but he needs to demonstrate that when the free kicks aren't coming that he can still kick goals. On every metric that reflects hard work he has plenty of work to do.
The thing is that goals are the hardest stat to fix, that takes a lot of natural ability, the other metrics can be improved with hard work, fitness, concentration and coaching.
I am sure the expectations will be set very early. And that would start with seeing what his attitude is with talking his normal break based on playing in the GF, or coming back early and starting when all the Young blokes start. That will be the tell.

40 goals in his first season is pretty ordinary???
The umps and defenders worked him out. His defensive pressure is minimal.

Appreciate your thoughts. My biggest concern is his low tackle count. I am also concerned that defenders have him figured. If he is even half as good as Sidebottom he would be a handy acquisition. It is encouraging that you made that comparison. Sidebottom is a special player.

Poor bugger thought the umpires hated him before...

He'll be able to count the 'too high' free kicks he'll receive next year on one penis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back