Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2024 Peter Crimmins medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok let’s cut the crap and stop pandering to the media flogs - Duke has to be in strong contention for AA team (not squad) selection.

I challenge anyone to explain to me why his performance year to date is inferior to the other mids that we seem to anoint with AA selection by default.

Extraordinary what he has achieved in only 50 games - is not a single other mid in the comp that I would take over him at the moment

progressing quicker than all the elite mids did at his age. Will be comparable to Petracca Oliver and Bont sooner than people realize. Underrated because he was not a top 5 pick when in actuality he is better than most if not all of the top 5 picks of last 5 years already (Daicos is the only one who may be better).
Must be AA but he won’t. Gryan Miers will for his 0.3 goals per game

Ok let’s cut the crap and stop pandering to the media flogs - Duke has to be in strong contention for AA team (not squad) selection.

I challenge anyone to explain to me why his performance year to date is inferior to the other mids that we seem to anoint with AA selection by default.

Extraordinary what he has achieved in only 50 games - is not a single other mid in the comp that I would take over him at the moment
No chance

hawthorn players don’t have media cheer squads

Very true. I was a little surprised however By Gerard Healeys moments today - almost glowing with praise…
Yes but in comparison, Gerard also ran a 5 minute radio editorial last week on how Libber should be AA

He's not quite ready for full AA Honours IMO.

Gulden and J Daicos will be selected on the wing.

Leaves 3 spots in the starting rotation and maybe 2 on the bench. They usually squeeze one on the HFF so 6 spots.

He's still behind Bont, Petracca, Daicos, Butters and Rozee. He might be in the mix for that 6th spot against guys like Dawson, Tarranto, Merrett etc.

He's in elite company in any case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not quite ready for full AA Honours IMO.

Gulden and J Daicos will be selected on the wing.

Leaves 3 spots in the starting rotation and maybe 2 on the bench. They usually squeeze one on the HFF so 6 spots.

He's still behind Bont, Petracca, Daicos, Butters and Rozee. He might be in the mix for that 6th spot against guys like Dawson, Tarranto, Merrett etc.

He's in elite company in any case.
They rarely select genuine wingers, let alone 2 of them. Probably only one of them make it.

Trust me it is the most accurate of all the comparisons. Screw this Wines/Petracca garbage. The only thing of Matthews he doesn't have is the Rioli-like twisting and turningeg the 1979 goal of the year:

Often he'd leave three opponents on the ground because they'd dive to tackle and he wouldn't be there.

This video you posted here is what I saw watching Jai today. Incredible

An extra thing I like about him is how driven and competitive he is. Heard Sam M say a couple of times how hard he works on adding new things to his game. Apparently he worked really hard in the off season to improve his overhead marking - and he has become super strong in that area.

I think one criticism he might have got last year was his kicking could be a bit inconsistent or he just roosted it too much. He has cleaned that up, and his kicking and decision making is becoming a real weapon. Love him.

When an iron will to succeed meets talent, you get Jai Newcombe.

There's no ceiling for him, people have talked about it being his great limiter on this forum. But the man has it all – dancing feet and power to escape congestion, powerful marking, kicking and running, incredible skills that get better each month. An insanely high football IQ to see everything unfolding and know how to impact it best.

No coincidence that this game was his 50th, it takes that long, even for Jai.

Exposed form says that he won't rest until he's at the end of his career, and has been the best player in the competition for a period of time.

It's the path he's been on since his first game. Set a goal, did it extremely well (tackled so often the commentators can't get it out of their minds, and think that's the cornerstone of his game). He is Sam Mitchell like in his desire be the best at everything he does.

Fast emerging as a leader alongside Will Day. They talk through their actions, and Jai made sure that his lifted us over the line this week.

Which hit was better, Blicavs or Weightman?

There is a long list of these coming over the next 8-10 years. They both have their merits, but I like Blicvas just for the absolute look of incredulity on Jai's face when he saw he was about to be bumped, and then dealt with the threat like someone swatting a mosquito.

progressing quicker than all the elite mids did at his age. Will be comparable to Petracca Oliver and Bont sooner than people realize. Underrated because he was not a top 5 pick when in actuality he is better than most if not all of the top 5 picks of last 5 years already (Daicos is the only one who may be better).
Must be AA but he won’t. Gryan Miers will for his 0.3 goals per game
Only one of Newc and Daicos squib contests...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2024 Peter Crimmins medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back