Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: James Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

The James Cousin situation reminds me a lot of Josh Kennedy a few years back.

Killing it in the VFL but has Hawthorn stars playing his position in the senior team and can't really play any other position than mid.

Coming along nicely at Box Hill, is stamping the door down for a run in the seniors just not a spot for him at the moment unfortunately.

I was waiting for this footage. Did not disappoint. That is a winning attitude right there, he just wants the ball more than anyone else

I was waiting for this footage. Did not disappoint. That is a winning attitude right there, he just wants the ball more than anyone else

This kid has done very little wrong, but will go further back in our pecking order if we get Shiel and one other top mid. Personally, I would love to see him become a regular next season and turn into another success story of Hawk stars doing their apprenticeship in the twos.

I want him to make it as much as the rest but do also question where he will fit into the Team?

Mitchell, O'Meara, Shiels and Worps I believe will be our 'starting' mids with all the other fringe mids/hff/hbf players moving through rotations. Where does Cousins fit except as an inside mid which positions him with Mitchell Shiels and to an extent Howe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want him to make it as much as the rest but do also question where he will fit into the Team?

Mitchell, O'Meara, Shiels and Worps I believe will be our 'starting' mids with all the other fringe mids/hff/hbf players moving through rotations. Where does Cousins fit except as an inside mid which positions him with Mitchell Shiels and to an extent Howe?
I think our current mids have shown enough in-game flexibility to accommodate a developing Cousins. He just looks so good in the 2s. Things may get a little tougher if we bring in a Shiel and Coniglio type, but as bad as this sounds the better he gets the more he's worth if he doesn't get the opportunity he deserves in the next 2-3 years.

This kid can find the footy, no doubt.
Does not have a second string or the tank to get to more contests at afl level.
I can’t remember who said it but a Caddy like role would be perfect if he could play forward & put on a little more weight.
He looks to be in the “Sheils type” mid range as a pure midfield player & that alone will keep him out of the team unfortunately.
We absolutely don’t have a genuine mid who can play big minutes forward & have just as big an impact. We’ve tried it the other way in hope but Poppy, Breust, Cyril, Langford.... actually not Langford in this, only pinch hit & are forward players.

To have a 185cm 85kg marking mid who can be a forward/mid would be a little icing to the list.

This kid can find the footy, no doubt.
Does not have a second string or the tank to get to more contests at afl level.
I can’t remember who said it but a Caddy like role would be perfect if he could play forward & put on a little more weight.
He looks to be in the “Sheils type” mid range as a pure midfield player & that alone will keep him out of the team unfortunately.
We absolutely don’t have a genuine mid who can play big minutes forward & have just as big an impact. We’ve tried it the other way in hope but Poppy, Breust, Cyril, Langford.... actually not Langford in this, only pinch hit & are forward players.

To have a 185cm 85kg marking mid who can be a forward/mid would be a little icing to the list.
Just doesn't have that in his kit bag at the moment. Not sure he ever played there as a junior.
He's Mitch Hallahan, Alex Woodward.
Needs to work on tank and find a bit of polish

He'll be the first player upgraded to the senior list for sure.
He's already ahead of Lovell and Langford, and I prefer him to JOR as well.
He's under 21 and only had the 7 games in top grade...Hallahan/Woodward, some perspective please........

Just doesn't have that in his kit bag at the moment. Not sure he ever played there as a junior.
He's Mitch Hallahan, Alex Woodward.
Needs to work on tank and find a bit of polish
Yes, Woodward, Hallahan, Schneider - we've seen a few very good VFL inside mids. People get paranoid about the Kennedy example but that was a rare occasion and he was being held out of a much stronger side than the current one. Cousins is going ok, but he has to improve to force himself into a decent AFL side.

I can't believe some of the comparisons being made. I just don't see it with Cuz. For those who remember, I see another Tom Schneider type scenario with him.

He is a one trick pony with no stand out attributes who can only play one position and the game is trending away from these sorts of players more and more.

Could be totally off the mark but I guess only time will tell.

He'll be the first player upgraded to the senior list for sure.

At the end of last season, we committed to upgrading Glass next year to the senior list, and at the same time committed to Cousins for two years on the rookie list.
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2017-08-02/young-hawks-sign-on

So Cuz will be on the rookie list next year.

I suppose we could always upgrade him ahead of schedule if we found ourselves with a spare spot. Only benefit to Hawthorn would be avoiding a 2 yr contract for a late stage national draftee we would be more tentative on.

Yes, Woodward, Hallahan, Schneider - we've seen a few very good VFL inside mids. People get paranoid about the Kennedy example but that was a rare occasion and he was being held out of a much stronger side than the current one. Cousins is going ok, but he has to improve to force himself into a decent AFL side.

Cousins is already miles above Schneider and Hallahan, more skillfull than both of them. Woodward would have made it if not for his knee's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: James Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back