Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

His confidence looks shot and whilst he is one of Mitch's favourites, keeping him in the AFL side is starting to backfire with his performances getting worse. Send him back to BHH for 3 - 4 weeks to get his touch and confidence back and then bring him back in. Gives a chance for guys like Ward, Day and hopefully Long to get some onball midfield minutes. Would be great to get Worps with his form of a few years back in for the second half of the year.

Oh thanks for correcting us

Noone said he was a superstar or anything

Just that he was important and he wont be traded

Again lazy comment, because "hE iS fRoM GeElOng, hE mUsT wAnt tO Go BaCk"

Same with Whitfield being a hawks supporter

Cogs and O'Meara being best mates

Not a lazy comment-

What are your hobbies outside of footy?

Surfing would be the main one when I’m home, and I do a bit of fishing as well.

Worked hard over preseason to get his body fit and hard.
Hasn't fired a shot.
He looks like a player the whispers gone in the ear..."We want you ......come surf all you want on your days off"
Selwood is 1year away from finishing.
He looks out the door.
And the poor form is on purpose so we get nothing for him.

Geelong Falcons players drafted away from Geelong that were later traded back to Geelong:

Shaun Higgins
Lachie Henderson
Patrick Dangerfield
Jack Steven
Gary Rohan
Luke Dalhaus

Geelong Falcons players drafted away from Geelong that have not been traded back to Geelong (this is not every name, just the biggish ones):

Luke Hodge
Jordan Lewis
Travis Boak
Ed Curnow
Ben Cunnington
Jasper Pittard
Taylor Adams
Devon Smith
Mason Wood
Darcy Gardiner
Zaine Cordy
Darcy Parish
Charlie Curnow
Tom Doedee
Sean Darcy
Alex Witherdon
Sam Walsh

Can see why there is so much speculation 🤯

I've read some idiotic shit in my time here...but this takes the cake.

If you actually believe this, you are a fool.

4bfe571c732a53aa3a914b3be5ba215e.png

2020 44% of his disposals were contested, 2021 40% but this years it's climbed to a career high of 51%, from a surface level look it would seem he's struggle to cover the ground like he once was. 2019 he averaged 80% game time, 2020 81%, 2021 78% and this year it's dropped down to 72% even less time on the field than his rookie year.

4bfe571c732a53aa3a914b3be5ba215e.png

2020 44% of his disposals were contested, 2021 40% but this years it's climbed to a career high of 51%, from a surface level look it would seem he's struggle to cover the ground like he once was. 2019 he averaged 80% game time, 2020 81%, 2021 78% and this year it's dropped down to 72% even less time on the field than his rookie year.
Yeah, there’s something odd happening with his TOG, and it makes you wonder if he’s dealing with a niggle.

Not a lazy comment-

What are your hobbies outside of footy?

Surfing would be the main one when I’m home, and I do a bit of fishing as well.

Worked hard over preseason to get his body fit and hard.
Hasn't fired a shot.
He looks like a player the whispers gone in the ear..."We want you ......come surf all you want on your days off"
Selwood is 1year away from finishing.
He looks out the door.
Even worse

Because he likes Surfing he is going back to Geelong?

Such a dumb post

Was he crook last week?
Did nothing after halftime alongside Newk and Tom, but his first half was ok.

Finished with 9 contested possessions, 3 centre clearances and 3 inside 50’s, with only 2 disposals after halftime.

Pressure will be on him this week to make a statement with his intent around the ball you would think. Needs to find his mojo quick smart.
Crook last week, crook this week.

Not an excuse but it is context that is require when discussing his future and resolve and a footballer.

Needs to play in the VFL untill he is BOG consecutively in my opinion. But I still think list management wise he should be untouchable, coach him through the yips and get him back where he knows he can perform.

Not doubting he was crook, I just don't understand why we would have a player play crook two weeks in a row in the middle of a development season when said player isn't playing footy to the level that makes him critical to the operation.

I get playing crook one week. Maybe it didn't seem so bad, etc. But to remain sick all throughout the following week and then be named to play again? Just doesn't make much sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to accept that he has an injury or health issue but my biggest frustration with him is that he often tries to do too much and gets caught with the ball or when he does dispose it is often poorly executed or a poor choice. You need to have a strong awareness of what you are capable of, play within your limitations. Please send him back to the VFL and get him fit and playing to his strengths and knowing his limitations.

Maybe this is too simplistic but hey that’s how I roll. He dropped off when he lost a lot of weight including muscle mass. He was told that he needed to be leaner as it’s all about getting to the next contest. Now he can’t break a tackle and seems to have lost all confidence.

Is there any truth to Bombers are interested in Worpel? Something around a trade for Kyle Langford (he's restricted)?

Not doubting he was crook, I just don't understand why we would have a player play crook two weeks in a row in the middle of a development season when said player isn't playing footy to the level that makes him critical to the operation.

I get playing crook one week. Maybe it didn't seem so bad, etc. But to remain sick all throughout the following week and then be named to play again? Just doesn't make much sense.
Is it onfield leadership? Because he must be ticking some box for him to continue to be in the team and his playing performances have been to the level required.

Could also be trying to build synergy between the younger players. Giving them as many games together as possible.

Maybe this is too simplistic but hey that’s how I roll. He dropped off when he lost a lot of weight including muscle mass. He was told that he needed to be leaner as it’s all about getting to the next contest. Now he can’t break a tackle and seems to have lost all confidence.
Is he leaner?

Is there any truth to Bombers are interested in Worpel? Something around a trade for Kyle Langford (he's restricted)?
Only saw that on a website titled "Fake Trades"...

Is it onfield leadership? Because he must be ticking some box for him to continue to be in the team and his playing performances have been to the level required.

Could also be trying to build synergy between the younger players. Giving them as many games together as possible.
Could be. But if it was then why not bring in Shiels or Howe?

Could be. But if it was then why not bring in Shiels or Howe?
I don’t think Howe and Shiels offer the same sort of direction. At least from what I’ve seen.

I can only gather so much from watching them on TV but out of all our mids, Worps looks definitely the most vocal and constantly trying to get players into the right positions.

The irony of Worpels downturn in form is he is one of the players we most need in form
At the moment.

If he can lift in the back half of the season it would completely change our midfield dynamic - and maybe that comes with chad, they had really good connection in the past so give them minutes together

Remove this Banner Ad

Back