Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Massimo D'Ambrosio

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but they REALLY want to have tall wingers so Massimo was never getting a game.

View attachment 2094486

It was amazing to see them move an elite goal-kicking wingman (Martin) to the HBF, which in turn forced their best intercepting defender (Ridley), and their best running backman (Redman) into more defensive roles.

Martin, Duursma and D'Ambrosio could have been the best wing trio in the league.

Instead they decided to rob Martin, Redman and Ridley in order to pay Jones. Kelly and Cox.

Edit: forgot the impact on Redman too.

Last edited:
The * thread on Mass is quite something.

There’s a majority who (rightly) call the trade an error.

There’s a few tools like that Cake person who still insist he’s rubbish.

But then there’s this weird group who insist that Sam is playing him in some unaccountable attacking role which gets around his lack of two way running and defensive ability.

I cannot fathom how anyone could watch Mass this year and think that he is rubbish defensively. Goes hard when it’s his turn, disposal out of defence is pretty much always to advantage even when under massive pressure.

I know they’re going to jam midfielders onto the wings in the AA side. But as a pure winger if you were actually picking a team to play he’d be there.

In short, thank you * and thank you Dodo!

The arrival and rise of Massimo D'Ambrosio in Hawthorn colors has also added a benefit that's not really mentioned often.

It's ensured that our previous best wingman has been able to settle on a half back flank and launch attack after attack from defense, rather than having to come up the ground to sure up an area that might otherwise be sagging in his absence.

Karl Amon has had a stellar year as an attacking half back. Massimo has done the same on his old wing.

The flow on effect of a player slotting right in and picking up where Amon left off is not insubstantial imo.

Credit to Amon too for the continued elevation of his defensive skills and two way run.

Last edited:

But then there’s this weird group who insist that Sam is playing him in some unaccountable attacking role which gets around his lack of two way running and defensive ability.

I cannot fathom how anyone could watch Mass this year and think that he is rubbish defensively. Goes hard when it’s his turn, disposal out of defence is pretty much always to advantage even when under massive pressure.

I know they’re going to jam midfielders onto the wings in the AA side. But as a pure winger if you were actually picking a team to play he’d be there.

The “Why are we shit” thread has turned into “Why can’t we be like Hawthorn” thread

Matthew Slater Reaction GIF by New England Patriots

Couldn't agree any more, the guy regularly logs big kms and more regularly than not has a stupid level of courage running back into defence with flight of ball to spoil. Every week my daughter and I have our hearts in mouths with what he does in front of huge bodied opposition forwards.

Not many run as hard as him both ways deep in the whole comp, let alone do the insane spoils and marks he does.

Like that's a bad thing? Mass is a major factor in our improvement this year.

They clearly aren't watching Mass live. His defensive running and work is hard to see on the TV. I've only seen 4 games live this year, 3 at UTAS and the Collingwood game at the G and he just does a power of work off the TV screen.

Fast becoming a favourite of mine, may have something to do with the * releasing him to us. Find myself thanking the * every time he does something good.

Reminds me of a left footed Darrin Pritchard

They clearly aren't watching Mass live. His defensive running and work is hard to see on the TV. I've only seen 4 games live this year, 3 at UTAS and the Collingwood game at the G and he just does a power of work off the TV screen.

Fast becoming a favourite of mine, may have something to do with the * releasing him to us. Find myself thanking the * every time he does something good.

Reminds me of a left footed Darrin Pritchard
Yeah, watching him live was really good to solidify my belief in him as a player.

I said a few games in that it was the quickest I'd ever seen a player come in and become that "heart and soul" guy who does all the work that the coaches love. When you watch him live he doesn't run without purpose, you can always see the intent. He works extremely hard to provide options which is why he gets used so often, he never plods after his opponent he always knuckles down and chases, if the ball is in his area he goes hard to either get it or chop it off. If a player is in a bit of space he closes it down immediately, smothers, tackles.

Considering all the talk about him being soft, I've not once seen it in his play all year.

Even Robbo, to his credit, said on 360 it would be a travesty if Mass was not named on the AA wing.
Joey M, to his continued discredit, said Mass was nowhere near the player Gulden is and the selectors will put another midfielder on Mass's wing.
He's probably right. Will be Merrett.

Even Robbo, to his credit, said on 360 it would be a travesty if Mass was not named on the AA wing.
Joey M, to his continued discredit, said Mass was nowhere near the player Gulden is and the selectors will put another midfielder on Mass's wing.
I just tune out anything Mr.10 years says. Some of the most boring uninformed takes in the AFL.

If there's only 6 good wingers in the AFL, it proves the value of a high caliber winger. Even more reason to reward such performances.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't need to be as good as Gulden to get a wing spot, in order to make the case he just needs to be at a similar level to wings that have been selected in the past like Josh Daicos - and he has. Though he has been more of a defensive half wing than a forward half wing.

He is also, unlike Gulden, actually a full time wing. Gulden has attended 40% of Sydney's centre bounce set ups this year.

Yes, I would say so.
Kingy made the valid point that 20 of the top rated players are midfielders, so where does the AFL go with the AA side?
Pick a team of midfielders and shoehorn them into the AA wherever, or actually pick players based on position?
10 of the top 50 rated players who have played over 15 games this season are rucks. There are only 17 rucks that have played that many games this season, and over half of them are in the top 50 rated players.

I wouldn't be taking Mr10's views as objective or accurate. Massimo may not be named as an AA wing, but it will be nothing to do with Mr10's views on why.

He's probably right. Will be Merrett.

Probably should be Treloar.

Zerrett
Games - 23

Avg. Pos. - 28.26
Effective Pos. - 19.65
Contested Pos. - 9.57
Clearances - 4.26
Centre Clearances - 2.13

Marks - 4.30
Tackles - 4.96
Running Bounces - 0.43
Metres Gained - 445.61

Goals - 0.61 (14 total)
Score Inv. - 7.09
Goal Ass. - 0.70 (16 total)
Inside 50's - 4.57

Treloar
Games - 22

Avg. Pos. - 31.68
Effective Pos. - 22.82
Contested Pos. - 11.82
Clearances - 5.77
Centre Clearances - 2.00

Marks - 3.27
Tackles - 4.77
Running Bounces - 0.91
Metres Gained - 407.41

Goals - 0.68 (15 total)
Score Inv. - 7.18
Goal Ass. - 0.59 (13 total)
Inside 50's - 4.55

He doesn't need to be as good as Gulden to get a wing spot, in order to make the case he just needs to be at a similar level to wings that have been selected in the past like Josh Daicos - and he has. Though he has been more of a defensive half wing than a forward half wing.

He is also, unlike Gulden, actually a full time wing. Gulden has attended 40% of Sydney's centre bounce set ups this year.

Outside of D'Ambrosio who are the players that are predominantly wingmen these days?

Jaicos
Acres
Duursma
Langdon
CJ
Sharp

I can't think of many others. The elite players, like McCluggage and Gulden, spend a decent amount of time in the middle.

Outside of D'Ambrosio who are the players that are predominantly wingmen these days?

Jaicos
Acres
Duursma
Langdon
CJ
Sharp

I can't think of many others. The elite players, like McCluggage and Gulden, spend a decent amount of time in the middle.
My point was more around the comment that you can't have 2 full time wings. Even with Gulden the current team doesn't have 2 full time wings. There's enough room for 1 wing, 1 hybrid wing - you don't need to chuck someone like Merrett in there who has the most CBAs in his team by a fairly significant margin.

My point was more around the comment that you can't have 2 full time wings. Even with Gulden the current team doesn't have 2 full time wings. There's enough room for 1 wing, 1 hybrid wing - you don't need to chuck someone like Merrett in there who has the most CBAs in his team by a fairly significant margin.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you were saying. I was just continuing the discussion and reinforcing your point by raising that question - there aren't many pure wingmen left, and Massimo would be the best performed one this season.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you were saying. I was just continuing the discussion and reinforcing your point by raising that question - there aren't many pure wingmen left, and Massimo would be the best performed one this season.
Gotcha. Furious agreement then!

You're also right, just narrowing down the list to players who have attended less than 20% of their team's centre bounces he's the highest rated by a fair margin, some of these guys also aren't exactly wings but most are.

PlayerTeamPositionMatchesPlayer Rating
Massimo D'AmbrosioHawthornMidfielder
22​
11.436​
Justin McInerneySydneyMidfielder
17​
10.4​
Blake AcresCarltonMidfielder
22​
10.118​
Josh DaicosCollingwoodMidfielder
23​
9.996​
Oliver DempseyGeelongMidfielder
23​
9.987​
Callan WardGreater Western SydneyMidfielder
18​
9.333​
Jayden HuntWest CoastMidfielder
20​
9.275​
Sam ClohesyGold CoastMidfielder
20​
9.165​
Xavier DuursmaEssendonMidfielder
15​
9.06​
Bailey WilliamsWestern BulldogsMidfielder
23​
8.843​
Jake LloydSydneyMidfielder
23​
8.796​

Every great Hawthorn team requires a good Italian boy.

Dipierdomenico

Puopolo

Now it's Massimo's time.

Sent from my SM-F741B using Tapatalk
You forgot Martello.

Gotcha. Furious agreement then!

You're also right, just narrowing down the list to players who have attended less than 20% of their team's centre bounces he's the highest rated by a fair margin, some of these guys also aren't exactly wings but most are.

PlayerTeamPositionMatchesPlayer Rating
Massimo D'AmbrosioHawthornMidfielder
22​
11.436​
Justin McInerneySydneyMidfielder
17​
10.4​
Blake AcresCarltonMidfielder
22​
10.118​
Josh DaicosCollingwoodMidfielder
23​
9.996​
Oliver DempseyGeelongMidfielder
23​
9.987​
Callan WardGreater Western SydneyMidfielder
18​
9.333​
Jayden HuntWest CoastMidfielder
20​
9.275​
Sam ClohesyGold CoastMidfielder
20​
9.165​
Xavier DuursmaEssendonMidfielder
15​
9.06​
Bailey WilliamsWestern BulldogsMidfielder
23​
8.843​
Jake LloydSydneyMidfielder
23​
8.796​
Since when has Lloyd played wing? Shows how much I pay attention to Swans games I guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Massimo D'Ambrosio

Remove this Banner Ad

Back