Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson!

Remove this Banner Ad

He will start converting the snaps soon, not really worried about that. Looked really good with the straight run up yesterday but think he will probably rely on the arc out to the right for anything around 40+ metres. I don't hate that as much as everyone else seems to, statistically it's a better chance than trying to pick out another mark inside 50.

It'll come together eventually, regression to the mean works both ways folks.

I’d love to see a heat map of where he kicked goals from as a junior.

I don’t know if he’s trying to roost the ball higher now when kicking the goal, but it’s seriously impacting his distance.
Honestly he had his way with defenders in juniors, completely dominated and got whatever he wanted, lots from within 25m but was certainly a better (albeit not amazing) finisher there than at AFL level.

The snap across the body technique promotes an attitude of indifference to goalkicking.

Snap shots are intended for difficult angles only.

Using them for anything else removes the responsibility on the player to kick straight, bc snap shots imply that the shit is difficultt.

So you see players just whack it on the boot and rarely ever dismayed at missing, unlike when they use a drop punt.

It’s a massive cop out and I’m stunned we haven’t seen coaches rule them out for all but the most acute angles.

Any more than 15-20m out and 1-2m from the boundary line and you’re kicking a drop punt son.
Yeah I get cross when I see it. Even Ginnivan’s goal yesterday. It should be simple and formulaic - see Chol/Hardwick. Perfect. Throw in Croc these days - reliable as heck

He attacks groundballs so ****ing hard, I had no problem with him getting that high freekick in the first quarter because he wanted the ball more than anyone else.
I thought it was a clear free kick. The tackler Was not even close to making a legal tackle!

The smallest guy on the field was being tackled by a ruckman. Was almost always going to be high lol

I think it’s stage fright, he just needs to blockout the noise.
I’d give him another game at Box Hill to boost his kicking confidence and then bring him in against Freo with the smaller crowd to see how he performs, hopefully that’ll be the breakout game we are all hoping for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s stage fright, he just needs to blockout the noise.
I’d give him another game at Box Hill to boost his kicking confidence and then bring him in against Freo with the smaller crowd to see how he performs, hopefully that’ll be the breakout game we are all hoping for.

I'm envisaging him giving the "shhhhh" to the Geelong crowd after he kicks the sealer.

two drop punts from 40 or so, both times he ran straight.

fluffed his first shot a little; didn't let it faze him, didn't resort to shonky technique. His second shot was perfect.

good job. good use of bye week.
He just keeps finding it huh?

How many other small forwards in their first 10 games can miss a shot and think "I'll have another chance in 10 minutes or so"

He sliced the first one which is an overcorrection on his big hook action. But nailed the second and it was unreal to watch

I counted 4
Yep 4.

SeasonRoundNumberTeamOppositionShotsAtGoalGoalsBehindsGoalAssistsScoreInvolvements
2024​
1​
HawEss
3​
0​
3​
0​
3​
2024​
2​
HawMelb
4​
1​
3​
0​
5​
2024​
3​
HawGeel
4​
1​
1​
1​
7​
2024​
8​
HawWB
2​
0​
2​
0​
2​
2024​
9​
HawSt K
3​
2​
1​
1​
7​
2024​
10​
HawPort
2​
0​
1​
1​
3​
2024​
14​
HawRich
6​
1​
4​
1​
8​
2024​
16​
HawWC
4​
1​
2​
0​
5​

Yep 4.

SeasonRoundNumberTeamOppositionShotsAtGoalGoalsBehindsGoalAssistsScoreInvolvements
2024​
1​
HawEss
3​
0​
3​
0​
3​
2024​
2​
HawMelb
4​
1​
3​
0​
5​
2024​
3​
HawGeel
4​
1​
1​
1​
7​
2024​
8​
HawWB
2​
0​
2​
0​
2​
2024​
9​
HawSt K
3​
2​
1​
1​
7​
2024​
10​
HawPort
2​
0​
1​
1​
3​
2024​
14​
HawRich
6​
1​
4​
1​
8​
2024​
16​
HawWC
4​
1​
2​
0​
5​
If he kicked at 67% he should have 18 goals in 8 games. That can be extrapolated out to 50 goals a season for a 22 game season. It will happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back